November 2014 Moms
Options

How to adress rude grandparents??

So I'm gunna start off saying this is my first post ever. My daughter was born Nov 7th, 2014. The other day we were at my husbands cousins sons 1st birthday party. My grandmother-in-law came up to me and said (and I quote) "let me hold her, I'm a better mom than you anyways. I can do everything better than you." She wasn't joking at all. Lucky for me my LO and I were called to another room. Has anyone else had any experiences like this? How did you handle it?

Re: How to adress rude grandparents??

• Options
    pchungpchung member
    My LO was born 11/9/2014!

What kind of person says something like that.  After having a baby I feel old people can be so rude with their comments or tips.  Did you tell your husband?
  • Options
    I have to deal with a spiteful MIL and SIL who try to turn our oldest child against us and never come see the LO. She was born on 11/15/14 and they have seen her maybe ten times. They live right up the road. My parents live 15 mile away and come to the house to see her at least once a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pchungpchung member
    @amandae16 I have come to realize that ILs are just not the same as your own parents and family. 
  • Options
    @pchung I told my husband, and his response was "she's old, she can say things like that." He's usually very supportive, but whenever it comes to his grandma she can never be in the wrong. It can be very frustrating for me.
  • Options
    pchungpchung member
    @tarynhartung the thing with letting grandma's say mean things is that it hurts them in the long run.  Kids are smart.  They catch on who is nice and who is mean. 
  • Options

My guy was born 11/7/14 also!!

If it makes you feel better, EVERYONE seems to think they're better with my son than me, including my mom, MIL and SIL. My MIL even recently told my husband that we shouldn't have any more kids because "we don't understand how hard two children can be, and we can't handle it." Um...he's 33 and I'm 29, it not like we're teenagers, and I have two Bachelor degrees, one of which is in Elementary Education. I've worked with children for 9 years, but yeah, we know nothing about children, lol. I just have to ignore it, no reason to let it stress me out.

• Options
    My MIL doesn't say things that bold, but she totally implies that vibe to me often. It's hard because we were so close before my LO was born 11/24/14. Usually I just let it roll off my shoulders. Her opinions are her own, but at the end of the day she knows I'm the mother and that my LO is under my control.
  • Options
    Holy schmoley! I'm sorry, what? Who? What the?!

Ok, just needed a minute. That's whackadoodle that grandma in law would say something like that. Is she senile? I almost hope!

I think it's ok to respectfully say "that is not nice and not true." Someone THAT crazy is never gonna change so don't waste your effort.