March 2015 Moms

Newborn caught cold from older brother help!

My 7 week old preemie seems to have caught a cold. He's stuffed up and breathing through his mouth. He seems very uncomfortable. We are already so sleep deprived and spent. I'm so overwhelmed with both kids and I can't believe they are both sick! Please just tell me this is going to get better soon. I just want some sweet words from other moms. Love them both so much and wish I could do more for them:(

Re: Newborn caught cold from older brother help!

• Do you have Snuffle Babe (Like baby Vicks rub) or something similar where you are? We were warned that babies get colds quite easily, and if it happens to put that on their feet under a sleep suit and it'll help de-clog them. Also the nose un-plugger too. Do you breastfeed at all? The immunity from your milk will help if so, but if not don't panic. Colds happen, do your best and that's the best you can do - don't stress out about anything, you've got this ☺️
  • tkellybtkellyb member
    Omg, thank you so much.  That last part really helped:)  I have baby Vicks.  I rub on his feet?  And yes I'm exclusively breastfeeding so I am counting on my damn immunity to help!  My older son didn't get his first cold til he was about a year so I feel so helpless and guilty that he has to suffer with this!  It's torture to watch him suffer.  And my husband and I are so tired, we have almost nothing left to give.  I know this stage is temporary but I guess because our little one was a preemie, his getting sick scares the shit out of me and it will take him a longer time to catch up and be more hardy.  Hes feeding well though and he's plumped up nicely.  This whole parenting thing is rough.  My husband and I are both only children so we are trying our best.  Thanks for saying we got this.  We totally do and we need to be more positive like that instead of telling ourselves how bad we're doing lol!

THanks again:)

• Loading the player...
  • No problem - we were warned about baby colds when we first brought our daughter home so I assume they're more common than everyone lets on. :)
  • KD32412KD32412 member
    My first was a preemie and also had a cold early on. Things that helped were nosefrida for unplugging the mucus, saline drops to help break up nasal mucus, a humidifier to help add moisture to the air, and sleeping slightly elevated to help drain mucus. Another helpful hint is for you to take a hot shower and close the door so baby breathes in the steam, like a tiny sauna. Good luck! Your breast milk will help as well.
  • LcastoLcasto member
    Yes to all PP said.. We used saline spray quite often on my first son when he'd get a cold (we live in the dry desert) and do the baby Vicks on his feet.. Also, we'd take showers with him and drop a couple drops of eucalyptus on the shower floor so we'd inhale it in the steam. It's really hard to avoid colds.. Especially if there are other kids around at all! So don't feel guilty or stress at all! Just keep that nasal passage as clear as you can. This is when sucking boogers out is actually "easy". I hate trying to do it on my now 17 month old!
  • LcastoLcasto member
    That's eucalyptus essential oil, btw. Also, DoTerra's OnGuard essential oil on the bottom of baby's feet with socks over them helps with their immune system! ;)
  • My son caught a cold at two weeks old. It was a miserable week and a half but he got over it with the same advice PP have given. Humidifier, saline nose drops and a nose frida to get the little boogers out, also nursing or feeding in the bathroom while a hot shower is running to steam up the room works wonders when they eat they have to breathe through their nose so it helps them clear it out :) It will pass, my pediatrician said newborns get colds all the time, but it was scary as hell as a first time mom!
  • Same I used the saline drops and sucked all the nasty out helped him a lot #goodluck
  • My baby spent her 2nd week of life miserable with a cold she caught from her sister. it is incredibly difficult and sad but it will pass! I'd put her in the bathroom any time someone took a shower so she'd get nice and steamed. We also diffuse eucalyptus oil in the house to help keep her airways clear.
  • tkellybtkellyb member
    Thanks for all the awesome advice:))