Parenting after 35
Options

Going to bed when its still light out?

So what are your thoughts on putting your LO's to bed when its still light out? We put our DD down around 8 every night but lately its been staying light later and her room is not dark when she goes to bed. I suggested black out shades to my husband but he said she needs to get used to falling asleep when its light out and that black out shades were not necessary. Lately she has been fussing longer than normal before going to sleep and I'm sure its because its light in her room. I just don't know if its worth arguing the issue again with my husband. I know it will only continue to get lighter. In the Summer it will stay light until 9 and her room will be very bright at 8. Any thoughts?

Will be Xposting in Toddlers 12-24 months ;)

Re: Going to bed when its still light out?

• Options
    My 4mth old goes down around 6:30 or 7. She shares our bedroom with us and we keep a lamp on and our tv blasting. I think she sleeps through it all because I didn't change anything when we brought her home...a home with 3 loud older sisters.

Maybe hang a dark blanket up if you think it will help??
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    GET BLACKOUT CURTAINS!!! I can't imagine not having them. Not a single nap would happen without them. Same with bed time. Both my girls have them. My older DD's bedtime now is 7:30, shes a little over 3 and has dropped her last nap, so her bedtime has moved up from 8-8:30 to 7:30. There is NO WAY she would ever fall asleep with it being light out. I don't think it's fair to expect that from a kid. Esp as they get older and will want to keep staying up later and later...

Blackout curtains all the way!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited May 2015
    Love the blackout curtains. I actually had a bunch of blackout liner material leftover from making our curtains and got some clip curtain hooks and hung it up over the blinds. It's great. It's much easier to get DS2 to sleep that way because there are no distractions. He still falls asleep in the car seat in broad daylight so I know he will sleep in light but it's just easier this way. It's also been difficult with my 6 year old. He starts arguing that it's not bedtime when it's still light out. But he's scared of the dark so sleeps with all the lights on now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Geeps2Geeps2 member
    I agree with everyone about the blackout curtains.  Both my kids have them (3 yr old and 1 yr old).  I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on them so I just went to Christmas Tree Shop and bought a pair of thicker black curtains.  I already had a double curtain rod hung in both their rooms so the black curtain is the one closest to the window, then the actual lighter panels are in front.  I can pull the black curtains back when I want light in there and during naps and night time I just pull them back to block out the light.  Cheap and just as effective as a pricey blackout curtain.  

It will make your life and her sleep so much better with some form of light blocking.  Just saw our kiddos were born 2 days apart :)  My little guy was born on the 21st 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    GuennieGuennie member
    We just have blinds and we've never had any issues, but we have a great sleeper and she's never had any problems falling asleep. Her bedtime is between 7:30 and 8 so it's still light usually when she goes down.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.