School-Aged Children

Summer Activities

It's that time.  I can't believe the deadlines are already rolling in for the summer activities, sports, camps, etc.  I have an 8 yr-old step-daughter and 6 yr-old step-son, and they both want to do baseball this spring.  My SD may also take a summer session dance class at my SIL's studio.  For the sake of keeping things fair, I feel like if my SD does two activities then my SS should also be free to choose another (though I have no clue what it would be).  So what are you kids going to be doing this summer?  How do you decide how many activities are appropriate?  Do you let one child do more activities than their sibling?
Me: 30 DH: 35 
TTC #1 - Jan 2015
BFP on 5/13/15
DD born 1/24/16
TTC #2 - Jun 2017
BFP on 8/24/17
Anniversary 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Summer Activities

• KL777KL777 member
    DS starts swimming lessons again this week.  This summer we'll be doing a lot of fun things like a family vacation, trips to theme amusement and water parks.  He won't start his other sports activities until August (soccer and then basketball).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited April 2015
    I try to keep it fair, but I don't force things on them if it doesn't work out.

In your case, I would look at what's out there and see if step-son even wants to do something else.  Does your department of recreation or school system do summer camps?  Maybe if his sister does baseball and dance, he can do baseball and go on a few fun outings or special events with you and his dad -- museums, bounce place, splash park, etc.

My kids are older, but this summer DS will go to sleep-away karate camp.  DD will do a 2 week leadership-training workshop for teens that will allow her to earn community service hours, learn CPR, and train to be a special needs camp counselor next summer, but it's during weekdays.  She's done sleep-away camps in past summers.  She's also going to the beach with my sister for a week to do community service at an aquarium.

Edited -- type-o
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the suggestions @neverblushed.  Our YMCA does have a lot of summer programs, so I will have to see if they have anything that he might be interested in doing.  But if there isn't anything that he wants to do, I like the idea of taking him on a couple fun outings for one-on-one time.  Sounds like your kids have some great summer plans lined up!
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My oldest is 6 and youngest is 1 so we are doing part-time daycare for both mostly. DS1's Elementary school has a lot of programs ... PE, art camp, theater camps etc. he was only interested in PE camp but the schedule conflicted with our plans. We are going to Disney World right after school gets out, then daycare (have field trips, cooking classes etc) then he wants to go to a few weeks of a Karate Camp, then back to daycare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Summer is one the best season were can have relaxation. There are many activities were kids can have lots of fun during the summer. MY DS would be going for swimming, playing in sprinkler, climbing the trees, paintings, coloring pages, puzzle games, hide and seek. etc.

My kids love doing paintings, puzzle games, coloring pages, swimming most of the time. I download few pictures and sheets to color from online so that I can keep my kid engage. Here i have collected few summer coloring pages from this site. 

• We don't have much planned, but my kids are still little- 4 and 18 mos. my 4 year old is taking tennis and there's an art in the park thing twice a week that we try to go to regularly.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• rsd12rsd12 member
    It looks like two (9 and 7 year olds) out of three of my boys will be doing a (1 week) soccer camp and a (6 week) half day fun summer camp. My youngest (5) will be home with me all summer. But that works for us, I need someone to bring to the pool with me!

I am not going to fill their calendar just to fill it. My youngest would rather spend some quality time with me. lol he will miss his brothers a little too!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09