Success after IF

UPDATE: Question about thawing eggs

megandchasemegandchase member
edited April 2015 in Success after IF
My sister just received a call that out of her 17 eggs that were frozen only 1 made it through the thawing process. Is this normal? The one that did make it through is not showing signs of progression after being fertilized. She is devastated, I'm just trying to see if anyone else has an experience similar that ended successfully that I can share with her (she is not a member of The Bump). This is their second round and will have to wait 3 months until the next cycle.

UPDATE: So the doctor called my sister today and they feel bad about what happened with her eggs and they think they waited too long to freeze the eggs which jeopardized the quality of them (there were problems with sperm count and they were trying to wait during round one for confirmation) They actually offered to cover the cost of everything next round! In the devastation this is a little bit of relief as the financial burden of a third round was lifted and we are all hoping and praying for round 3 to be the one!! Thanks for your answers ladies and good luck to you all in your motherhood journeys. 

Re: UPDATE: Question about thawing eggs

• There are a lot of factors that can affect egg thawing on both your sister's side and the embryologist's side.  I had 11 eggs harvested and only 5 made it to 5day blasts, and of that group - 1 didn't make the thaw.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • dp21dp21 member
    So eggs were frozen but they were not fertilized before? I think most people on here going through IVF had embryos frozen (fertilized eggs grown out to blasts). You could also ask on infertility board but I haven't seen any situations of frozen eggs on here personally.

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Loading the player...
  • dp21dp21 member
    Wanted to add, I have seen with fresh eggs have zero fertilization rates on this board, it happens.  I'm sure there is data out there on what the success rate is on egg thawing.  And sorry to hear the sad news, the infertility board on here was a wonderful support for me when going through the process.  A bunch of girls jumped ship and there is also another board that has many great ladies on there too. 

Me:
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

• 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Thanks ya her eggs were frozen and not fertilized. When they retrieved her eggs the first round they found out that her husbands reversal had so much scar tissue that he no longer had a count. They had to freeze her eggs and he had to go have his sperm extracted surgically a couple of months ago so they could unfreeze and fertilize. I tried the infertility board and they weren't too nice since I am asking on behalf of my sister and am pregnant myself. They sent me here. But thanks for your responses!

• haha I just asked you to be respectful. I'm not sure how that is defined as not "too nice". 
    *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
    "Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it" 
    --Helen Keller 

4 miscarriages: Nov 2009,  Jan 2011, Sept 2011,  Oct 2012
    IVF Round 1:
    3/4/15: Egg Retrieval
    16 Eggs Retrieved -- 15 Fertilized via ICSI -- 10 Blastocysts Biopsied for PGD & PGS -- 2 (male) Blastocysts Remain for Transfer
    5/13/15: FET -- 5/26/15: BFN
    CANCELLED IVF Round 2.

Living a happy, child-free life with my best friend.
    *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
  • I'm not sure how that measures up against the statistics, but I know that many of my single friends who are nearing that 35 mark are considering freezing their eggs in case they meet Mr. Right in the next 5-10 years. If your sisters results are anything like the typical outcome, it probably isn't something most people would consider. 

I know that egg freezing is not as well studied (yet) as embryo freezing. We had actually talked to our RE about only fertilizing a handful of eggs and freezing the remainder unfertilized. He said while the technology has improved, it isn't as good as embryo freezing. 

I'm very sorry for your sisters situation. Hopefully if they need to do another cycle this result is not indicative of their future outcome. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• I am so glad that they are going to cover the cost of the next cycle and are making it right.  That is a huge relief for anyone paying OOP.  I wish her good luck!!! 
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5

• @dp21 do you mind me asking what happened over on the infertility board? Or where did everyone go? I used to be pretty active over there but then took a couple month hiatus when I did ER #3 and I just came back and it's like a ghost town. I contemplated asking IF Vets if I could join but it seems very slow there too.

*** siggy warning- losses mentioned- everyone welcome *****

Me:  36

DH:  42  (w/ 2 children from prior marriage)

Us:  TTC for our 1st together since August 2013

1st BFP:  November 2013  (m/c at 7 wks)

2nd BFP:  February 2014  (m/c at 6 wks)

RPL Panel started in March 2014

3rd BFP:  May 2014 (m/c at 5 wks)

4th BFP:  June 2014 (CP at 4 wks)

RE appt in June 2014 (all RPL panel tests are normal...it's likely egg quality due to my age and borderline DOR)

Baseline AFC: 8 follies

2 IUI cycles (July and August 2014- both BFN)

IVF #1 w/ ICSI & PGS- October 2014 (AFC: 8 follies; ER Oct 20:  5R/3M/2F;  the 2 only made it to day 3 and stopped growing before biopsy)

key supplements: DHEA (25mg- 3x/day); CoQ10 (300 mg/day) ISWTE believer here!

IVF #2 EPP w/ ICSI & PGS- AFC:  13 follies!   10R/6M/6F-  5 biopsied for PGS- 1 normal embryo

FET scheduled for February 2015 delayed in order to do one more ER in hopes of getting at least 1 more normal embryo

IVF #3 EPP w/ ICSI & PGS:  7R/5M/5F-  2 biopsied for PGS- 1 normal embryo

FET #1 April 23, 2015:  1 PGS tested embryo transferred - BFN

FET #2 June 30, 2015:  1 PGS tested embryo transferred- BFP!! 

• dp21dp21 member
    @IfMamaAintHappy Some crazy stuff went down, I don't know exact details but some of the long term great moderators were banned, many deleted their bump accounts.  So they created a whole new board and I'd say most jumped ship.  I can PM you the link, I bet you'll find many IFvets on the new board.  I'm not over there much just out of habit but all my friends are over there :/  Just too hard to check two boards. 

Me:

• 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• edited May 2015
    @dp21 if you don't mind PM me the link that'd be great. I can't believe I missed all that. Damn IF induced emotional breaks!! It's like crickets over there. I lurk here for inspiration but also because there is no one over there.

*** siggy warning- losses mentioned- everyone welcome *****

Me:  36

DH:  42  (w/ 2 children from prior marriage)

Us:  TTC for our 1st together since August 2013

1st BFP:  November 2013  (m/c at 7 wks)

2nd BFP:  February 2014  (m/c at 6 wks)

RPL Panel started in March 2014

3rd BFP:  May 2014 (m/c at 5 wks)

4th BFP:  June 2014 (CP at 4 wks)

RE appt in June 2014 (all RPL panel tests are normal...it's likely egg quality due to my age and borderline DOR)

Baseline AFC: 8 follies

2 IUI cycles (July and August 2014- both BFN)

IVF #1 w/ ICSI & PGS- October 2014 (AFC: 8 follies; ER Oct 20:  5R/3M/2F;  the 2 only made it to day 3 and stopped growing before biopsy)

key supplements: DHEA (25mg- 3x/day); CoQ10 (300 mg/day) ISWTE believer here!

IVF #2 EPP w/ ICSI & PGS- AFC:  13 follies!   10R/6M/6F-  5 biopsied for PGS- 1 normal embryo

FET scheduled for February 2015 delayed in order to do one more ER in hopes of getting at least 1 more normal embryo

IVF #3 EPP w/ ICSI & PGS:  7R/5M/5F-  2 biopsied for PGS- 1 normal embryo

FET #1 April 23, 2015:  1 PGS tested embryo transferred - BFN

FET #2 June 30, 2015:  1 PGS tested embryo transferred- BFP!!