April 2014 Moms
Options

Bottles vs cups

talk to me about how your LO is getting milk/formula now. Bottles vs. sippy cup and how many oz per day. My LO is still drinking 30+ oz of formula via bottle a day. At one year appointment today, doc says start to slow formula and increase food. He loves his bottles still! She said to aim for no more than 20 oz of formula a day. What are you all doing?

Re: Bottles vs cups

• Options
    My LO nurses in the morning and before bed. Then he has a 7oz bottle of milk before each nap. I offer sippy cups of milk at meals, but he doesn't drink much then. Our ped said to drop the bottle and move to sippy cups only, but the bottle works for us at nap time, so I'm sticking with it for now. LO also eats a lot of solids--usually 3 meals and 1 or 2 snacks. The ped said to expect him to become a lighter eater as he gets into toddlerhood. I can't figure that one, but he said not to freak out if he starts eating less.
  • Options
    My LO's bday was on the 4th so we've been on whole milk for a few weeks now. As I switched her over, we started doing bottles only at sleeping times and the rest of the time she was offered a sippy cup. While we did this she wasn't drinking much from the sippy and just waiting until bottle times to chug, so I was also offering her more food to make up for those lost calories. She was drinking over 32 ounces before the sippy intro. On Monday the bottle fairy came and poof they're all gone. For all 3 of mine this sudden disappearance was hard for 2 days; they get pretty mad at sleepy times and don't drink much on either day. By day 3 though they're over it and have given in to the sippy! She's drinking 20-24 oz. a day now and eating more food particularly needing a snack between meals when before she would just drink her snacks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We still do bottles, right now he gets 50% milk and 50% formula in his bottles. He has about 28oz over the course of the day. He was taking milk in his sippy at mealtimes but the bottle is a part of the bedtime routine, so we're trying to replace formula with milk. Next week I will give 75% milk, and then move to 100% milk. After that, my plan is to transition him off the bottle altogether. I'm not too concerned if we go a few more months of bottles, though.
  • Options
    C will be 1 next week and takes in about 20-24 oz formula. She was taking 30 a month or so ago and I reduced by cutting out her mid morning bottle as she was never hungry enough to eat lunch. She is still drinking from a bottle but I am going to start working on her drinking from a cup.
  • Options
    Today is day 4 of no bottles. First 3 bottles were a little tough but today she's doing great! In fact she just woke up crying and chugged 4 ounces straight (most in one sitting) then passed back out! She just turned 1 last week so we are finishing out the formula that we have then it's onto milk. We gave her some WM a few days ago and she took it no problem but we figured we would only deal with one change at a time staring with the sippy.
  • Options
    E gets a bottle of formula when she wakes up and before bed, and a sippy of milk throughout the day with meals or snacks. After her birthday Sunday she will only get the bedtime bottle. Once we run out of formula I'll do away with the bedtime bottle. She drinks some, but She's not a big fan of milk right now, I'm hoping that changes once the formula is all gone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are struggling. She drinks water just fine out of a sippy but will not drink milk (regular or breast) out of the sippy, she just spits it back out. She will only drink milk from a bottle and very warm. So she gets 3 5 oz bottles with BM per day. First thing in the morning, after nap and before bed. She drinks water from a sippy throughout the day. I offer whole milk in the sippy a few times a day too, but it just gets spit back out or not even touched once she figures out what it is.My issue is she is just a little peanut at 17 pounds so I really want her to still get the BM for calories and nutrition, if she were bigger I would be more at ease with just getting rid of the bottle. 

We don't have her 12 month check up until next week so I will talk with her doctor then and see what they suggest. She is a pretty good eater with food, but she is just tiny. Our 3 year old has always been on the small side too (29 lbs at 3 year check up), but he is not as good of an eater as her either and we give him 1 or 2 bottles of pediasure shakes a do to up his caloric and nutritional intake.
  • Options
    I have a peanut too. I am not giving up bottles yet. My mommy gut says he still needs the milk calories and fat. Do what you honk is best!
  • Options
    Hahaha *think not honk
  • Options
    I'm confused about what the rush is to get rid of bottles. I should have asked the doc, but felt pretty sure we were going to keep on with them for a while regardless. But is there a reason beyond preference for getting rid of bottles at 1? I kinda feel like, for me, the "deadline" is 2, but I don't have any reason for that other than that is when my niece and nephew gave up theirs. I should probably base my decision on more than that. :)
  • Options

I'm confused about what the rush is to get rid of bottles. I should have asked the doc, but felt pretty sure we were going to keep on with them for a while regardless. But is there a reason beyond preference for getting rid of bottles at 1? I kinda feel like, for me, the "deadline" is 2, but I don't have any reason for that other than that is when my niece and nephew gave up theirs. I should probably base my decision on more than that. :)

There is a push to get rid of bottles due to dental problems they can cause I believe. For me I also just hate washing them!!!
  • Options
    Ah! Ok. That makes sense. The washing is a pain, I agree! Is the dental stuff mostly if you let your kiddo sleep with one in his/her mouth? If they just drink it for 5-7 minutes and are done, are there still problems? (Questions I can/should google/ask my doc, I know.
  • Options
    I honestly didn't look into it that much or ask the how/why questions!

I did see a link to the Ada website From an article I read regarding it if you are curious!

https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/baby-bottle-tooth-decay
  • Options
    Thanks so much, kkaew816! I appreciate the link--I'll have to check it out. 
  • Options
    When they drink a bottle right before falling asleep the sugar from the milk sits on their teeth all night.

For me I want to ditch them soon because I know it will be soooooo much harder six months from now. Attachment to objects and routine only gets stronger as toddlers get older, and I would rather put in the work now and avoid a fight later. Totally personal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When they drink a bottle right before falling asleep the sugar from the milk sits on their teeth all night.

My dentist said that giving a few sips of water after the bottle will help rinse the milk away.
    Great tip!
  • Options

My dentist said that giving a few sips of water after the bottle will help rinse the milk away.
    We do this, I hope it's enough!
  • Options
    As of LOs birthday she was drinking 24oz of formula. I've now got her on 10 oz of formula and 8 oz WM all in bottles. We're working on the sippy but she doesn't get much from it. I'm just not sure how we're going to drop her 6am bottle!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• Options

Ah! Ok. That makes sense. The washing is a pain, I agree! Is the dental stuff mostly if you let your kiddo sleep with one in his/her mouth? If they just drink it for 5-7 minutes and are done, are there still problems? (Questions I can/should google/ask my doc, I know.

My PA told me they like to have kids off the bottle by 18 months and that we shouldn't give her when to fall asleep but rather let her have the milk while she's awake then brush her teeth before we put her down. She says the sucking can cause problems with their teeth growing crooked or getting cavities from letting the milk sit on their teeth over night.

She also told us we only need to give her about 24oz/ day because now she should be eating normal foods and getting most of her nutrition from that with the milk being a supplement. That being said my daughter is on the smaller side, but she eats all the time and has at least two bottles of formula per day along with milk/deluted juice in a cup.
  • Options

For me I want to ditch them soon because I know it will be soooooo much harder six months from now. Attachment to objects and routine only gets stronger as toddlers get older, and I would rather put in the work now and avoid a fight later. Totally personal.

This. So much this. Same goes for ditching the paci and eventually potty training IMO. Get it done young before they develop stronger opinions about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml