2nd Trimester
Options

Single umbilical artery/two vessel cord

I went to the emergency room at 15 weeks and they did an ultrasound just to make sure the baby was doing okay. When they sent the results to the radiologist, they sent them back to my OB. He just called me last night (I'm almost 17 weeks) and told me that the baby has a single umbilical artery and we'll have to keep a close eye on the baby throughout pregnancy and he recommended me go to a different hospital for the ultrasound.

I was wondering if any of you are or have been through this and if there's any advice you can give me other than "don't worry and try not to stress" because I'm going to worry no matter what.

Thanks in advance mommas!

Re: Single umbilical artery/two vessel cord

• Options
    I know you want to stress but extra stress isn't good for you or baby. The big thing to look for with a two vessel cord is growth so they will most likely do a detailed anatomy scan and then monitor growth overtime. Most of the time there aren't any problems and baby's with 2 vessel cords have normal healthy weights. Also stay away from Google! I'm a L&D nurse.
  • Options
    I know how you feel. I found out that my baby is developing with two vessel cord . It has been an emotional roller coaster like you wouldn't believe. You are entitled to feel stressed and anxious. Make sure you have a good support system. And just know you will be monitored. You need to be prepared for the ups and downs, trust your doctors and know your in the best care. Try not to look online for answers it will drive you nuts. I wish you all the best!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey! I just found out at my appointment today that the umbilical cord for my son has 2 vessels as well. I'm stressing out but the doctor said there is nothing I can do to fix this and nothing I could have done to prevent this. I have to be monitored closely starting now. (I'm 19 weeks). We just have to keep our heads up and hope for the best. Good luck to you and I pray out babies are all born perfectly healthy.
  • Options
    I agree with kaseyeck110   . I found out at 18 weeks that I have one artery and one vein umbilical cord )its supposed to be one artery and two veins)...it happens...they just moniter closely for growth...the Dr. said it happens 1 out of 3 and although it is an abnormality, it is not unusual and shouldn't be a problem.         
  • Options
    I had it with my first pregnancy! I had no problems at all. I got more ultrasounds to make sure the baby was growing but never had an issue.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat!  However, I haven't stressed at all about it.  My doctor made it very clear that it's extremely common (he had 7 patients off the top of his head he knew of).  It's all just about monitoring the growth.  I went back 2 weeks later have my 20wk (i was actually 22 then) ultrasound, for a Level 2 Ultrasound for more detailed measurements and viewing of the baby.  Everything went fine and the baby is developing perfectly.  DON'T STRESS!!!  Seriously :)  If anything..........be happy because you get to see your baby a little more frequently than others do hehe.  I got to watch the entire scan (about 30 mins), so it was way cool to see all that and see my baby girl the whole time.

You will be ok.  Stay strong!