Toddlers: 24 Months+

Airplane Travel

Hey Everyone!
We will be taking a plane trip across country this summer to visit family and it will be the first time we've traveled out of state with our son. He will be 2yrs + 3 mos at the time of travel and we will be staying for a week. I'm hoping you ladies have some tips and tricks to make this trip easier on everyone. In the car he does alright for the first 2 hours, but doesn't like sitting much longer then that. He is a VERY active child who doesn't do stationary very well. Thanks in advance!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Airplane Travel

• We flew with our daughter when she was one month shy of two and when she was about two years and eight months.  The second trip was soooo much easier.  I would definitely play up how he gets to on an airplane and how fun and exciting it is.  Also bring kid's headphones along with a tablet with some shows downloaded on it.  I also stocked up on stickers and small toys (mostly from Target dollar section) to give them throughout the flight.

• liz1562liz1562 member
    We just took our VERY active 2 yr old son to Hawaii for 2 weeks. We had many connecting flights and one 10hour flight. My best advice is to bring his car seat on the plane. Also, depending on the type of plane, you may have a little extra room for him to get down and play by your feet. My son loves surprises. I grabbed a few jumbo Easter eggs from my stash and fled each one with a toy or snack. When he got fussy, I would pull a new egg out. Also, have a cup or food pouch to suck on during take off and landing for his ears. Good luck, and enjoy your trip!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I bring their car seats with me on the airplane.  It is good to find an airline that is family friendly and that does not have too many restrictions.  It is important to be comfortable.  I traveled with a stroller and put my kids in the stroller.  You will be tired and not wanting to run after your child when you are in the airport terminals. 

My best experience has been with Southwest Airlines.  They are family friendly.  They have been very accomodating with us on the airplane. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Those of you that brought your own car seats onto the plane, did you do that because your child is/was to small to sit in a regular seat? I have a trip planned in late October and I don't want to bring my son's big bulky car seat. He'll be 4 at the time of travel.
  • KadzoKimbiaKadzoKimbia member
    edited May 2015
    DS sits on the floor and plays with trucks on his seat. Also lots of snacks. We don't use tablets with our kids so I can personally vouch but a lot of my friends swear by them! Our kids love to walk to aisles too...(they make friends with all the grandparents traveling it's a win win for everyone!)

We travel a ton! 10 planes since January1 with a 2.5 yr old and 1yr old.

Addition-We check our car seats they are too much for the airport and our kids do fine in the seats.
  • Snacks. You can never have too many snacks.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I just flew with my two year old a couple of motnhs ago. This is what worked for me. I brought my kindle and loaded it up with her favorite shows/movies. (Mickey mouse club house/Nemo/Frozen ect..) I also bought crayola colorsafe markers and coloring books. The markers ONLY work on the color safe paper so its fun for the tot and you dont have to worry about him coloring on something he shouldnt. I also packed lots of snacks..you can never have to many snacks. I tried to keep all her activities small so it wasnt too much to carry. I even got her a little minnie mouse back pack and she "helped" pack all her airplane activities. Hope this helps!

image [IMG] 

• Snacks!!! And entertainment. We took a portable dvd player and head phones.
  • Request bulk head rows (usually the first in the section) if you can because they have a lot more space for the littles to play. Also, we brought a tablet loaded with his shows (which we rarely do at home) bc I didn't know what the plane had and I didn't want to disturb others around us. Also, if you have a lap baby also, request a bassinet if available bc this guarantees a bulk head on most flights. Have familiar books, small toys and milk/bottle ready for take off and landing bc movement is extremely restricted. We checked out stroller and car seat at the gate last flight but this time we will be gate checking the stroller and using the car seat during flight. Good luck and safe travels!
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker