Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Newborn sleep routine

anyone try with success a routine to help your newborn sleep at night.

What do you do. My newborn sleeps great during the day but at night struggles to. I feed her on demand and at night it feels like every hour I'm feeding her because she's so fussy and won't calm down and sleep like she dies during the day,

I wish I could get her to sleep, wake every 2-3 hours at night like she does for me during the day

Re: Newborn sleep routine

• Options
    BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited April 2015

How old is your baby? They have their nights and days mixed up for a few weeks but eventually it will turn around. You just have to wait it out. What you are describing is perfectly normal. That's why everyone says babies are so exhausting.

I would NOT keep the baby awake during the day but you can try to keep the room bright, noisy and promote awake time without keeping her awake. Then at night, keep it quiet, dark and calm.

It will turn around but it takes time. The first 3 months are incredibly difficult.

• Options
    She's 2 weeks old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She will get her days and nights straight soon enough. Let her sleep as she needs to during the day. Just keep lights and stimulation (TV, radio, talking at normal volume during naps) going during the day). Both my boys figured it out between 2 and 3 weeks, but it can certainly take longer. Completely normal, please don't try to put her on a schedule, it will likely do more harm than good.

• Options
    Agree with pp, newborns are too young for a schedule and any medical professional will probably attest to that, your doing a great job mom but this is why people say 'sleep when baby sleeps' you have to sleep during the day when she is having her good naps in
  • Options
    There right,baby is to young, just let her figure it out.  First month will be hard, my baby for the first month ate every 2 hours (day & night).  I'm blessed right now becasue he's eating every 4 hrs (day & nights)  I still don't get much sleep, I've been only sleeping 4 hours every night.
    Your baby will sleep alot, just keep TV, radio, on, it helps
  • Options
    Also, new babies tend to breastfeed (if you are breastfeeding) more at night at the beginning because that's when Mom's milk-making hormones are at their highest - helps make sure for them that they're going to have lots of milk as they need it.
  • Options
    My baby is 2 months old and it seems like he's having a hard time sleeping at night now; he was doing ok just last week. I thought it might be because he's outgrown his bassinet so we put him in his crib but last night was rough. He moves a lot - kicks his legs and moves his arms constantly. I was swaddling but stopped because a book I have recommended stopping at 8 weeks. Last night it seemed like he got up every 1-2 hours. I'm hoping for a better night tonight because I'm exhausted. Any advice?
  • Options
    Growth spurt? Download the Wonder Weeks app, it explains a lot about the 7-9 week 'leap'
  • Options
    Swaddle
  • Options
    My little one is 6 days old and we are having the same difficulty! It's so exhausting and gives us a lot of anxiety. It's good to hear it's normal and will pass.
    ***BFP warning***
    Me (36) and  DH (34) married August 2010
    TTC since January 2010
    HSG in July 2011 found uterine polyps
    Surgery Sept 2011 to remove polyps
    Tried Clomid (monitored) Oct-Feb 2012
    Consult with RE April 2012
    Diagnosis ~ unexplained infertility
    May 2012 IUI-BFN 
    April 2014- IVF consult with RE
    May 2014- baseline~21 follicles, High FSH and estradiol
    IVF #1 Aug 2014~Lupron trigger protocol (Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide)
    Stimmed for 9 days, trigger on 8/20~ 32-36 follicles seen, 16 measured on each side
    ER~ 8/22 ~ 36 follicles retrieved! 21 Mature, 17 ISCI'd
    8/27~Day 5 transfer of 2 BB blasts, 1 to freeze
    9/9~ BFP!! Beta #1- 978
    9/11~ Beta #2- 1965
    9/15~ Beta #3-7480
    1st ultrasound 9/24

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Options
    My little gal is 5 weeks old so we still don't have a routine per se, but this is what we did/do to try to get her to know nighttime: During the day use normal voices, no whispering. Have music playing or tv on, lights on or blinds open, and 'try' to stimulate baby every hour or so with a short time in the bouncer or swing and talk to her a lot. Also, we go for at least one walk per day. At night, meaning only at the last feeding before bedtime, I make sure I feed her in bed, room darkened, no music, TV or loud voices. Swaddling helps a lot too. She has been sleeping around 5 hours the past week and almost 6 hours last night (first time ever!) Also highly recommend the book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block"

Me: 37 | DH: 41
    TTC Since 2011 DX: Unexplained 
    IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN
    IVF August 2014: FSH 4.1, PRL 15.3, TSH 2.1, W/ AFC 8.
     08/03 ER 5R, 4M, 3F. 08/08 5DT of 1-3AA0, 2 frozen :) bfp @9dp5dt. Beta on 08/20 = 414.
    So excited to have one little bean on the way!!

• Options
    sjw93sjw93 member
    My LO has had same sleep pattern since he was born he's nearly 5 weeks old. But at 2 weeks old become very constipated and turns out he was lactose intolerant. So doctors prescribed different milk for him.
    He sleeps in his nose basket but I've put a pillow under neath to raise the where his head lays. Wakes 3 times a night same time for a feed.
    I put him down about 10-11ish pm after a good feed and sleeps like a baby lol
    And make sure room is dark when he's put down to sleep and when doing night feeds x
  • Options
    My little one is almost 10 weeks, EBF and we are JUST now getting into a routine.
  • Options
    At 12 weeks, we started to just let our baby "cry it out."  Don't hate.  It works!

If baby is fed & dry, let it cry.  :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    If he sleeps when he is swaddled then swaddle him. He won't get "used to it".
  • Options
    My boy is 8 weeks old and he's been sleeping from 8:30 till 4 or 5 every night. I'm using Moms on Call guidelines, not super strictly but it works. Make sure LO doesn't sleep more than 2.5 hours at a time during the day, play and do activities to wear him/her out and the main thing: be consistent every day, especially bed routine. Soon i'll let him cry it out a little at night to drop the 4 am feeding. It helps both baby and mom rest better.