February 2015 Moms

Flat head

My little guy is 11 weeks today and we have noticed that he always sleeps looking right and therefore he is getting a flat spot on the back of his head. We have been rotating his head but it seems he always moves it back to the flat resting spot within a few minutes. I try to do tummy time with him as often as possible, but is there anything else we can do besides PT if the ped recommends it down the road? Anyone with experience with this? TIA!

Re: Flat head

• No experience but if it's bad enough they'll get the helmet. It's not ideal, obviously. Try holding him for naps once in awhile if possible. You can get a sit me up seat so he can play without lying down.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• We were just at the neurosurgeon on Friday with my son (he will be 3 months on the 27th) bc the pediatrician was mildly concerned because the back of his head is pretty flat. The neurosurgeon took one look at him and said it's completely normal since he still sleeps flat on his back so much and that it will naturally round out as my son begins to sit up unassisted and roll around. He just said to have the pediatrician keep an eye on it and encourage as much tummy and sitting up time as possible. Also to feed him on the opposite side if he continues to turn his head a certain way so that the muscles of his neck are strengthening equally. No helmet recommended, no PT recommended, and we don't need to follow up with neurosurgery. Good luck, but don't be afraid to have the pediatrician take a look if you're really getting worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • They make pillows specifically designed to prevent flat head in babies. It's very thin, so no need to worry about SIDS. But it's got a small divot in the center to cushions babys head and keep it round. Ive seem sold on Amazon for less than $20 with shipping
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Breemay5785Breemay5785 member
    edited April 2015
    I have the pillow coming from Amazon today, StephanieLBerg, hopefully it helps!
    And dannylion24 you're story gives me lots of hope. I am really making a conscious effort to keep him off that side as much as possible. Hopefully we don't need anything down the road either! Thanks ladies!
  • Yes, @StephanieLBerg ! I forgot to mention the "noggin' nest" -We've been using that, too! & Thanks @Breemay5785 Best of luck !
  • Can you please provide me the name of the pillow so I can order as well . My baby is experiencing the same thing .thanks
  • They make pillows specifically designed to prevent flat head in babies. It's very thin, so no need to worry about SIDS. But it's got a small divot in the center to cushions babys head and keep it round. Ive seem sold on Amazon for less than $20 with shipping

Wow, I really butchered the thread with that response, lol! Yea I love our noggin nest, and so does my daughter. She seems to sleep more soundly with it I am noticing.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My LO has the same problem. Always sleeps to the right. The ped gave me a set of exercises to do with her so that her muscle are equally lose. Basically move babies head to the left with her chin meeting with shoulder. Do this for 15 reps and 5 times a day. Another one is move babies head to left shoulder to where the ear meets with the shoulder. Same reps. Hope this helps. O
  • My 2 1/2 month old sleeps and always looks to the left. He will turn his head to the right some but always goes back to the left. At his 2 month check up the doctor told me his head would start getting flat on that side (it now has) and that babies do what is easiest. His muscle is tight in his neck on the left side so turning to the right can be uncomfortable. He told me he's developed a slight tortacallis. His Ped. Thinks that we can correct this without physical therapy for now. I just have to turn his head to the right 3 times a day, 10 times. Every time holding a little longer and a little further to the right. I'm really gentle. It has helped a bunch!!! Plus giving him tummy time and nursing more on the left side as well! If he's keeping it to one side a lot, you might want to try this before it turns into a tortacallis like my LO. Hope that helps :)
  • Thank you for this! My 10 week old had a pretty cone shaped head at birth and it hasn't rounded out. The Ped said they would reevaluate at the 4 month check up but I'm so worried she'll need a helmet. Which we'll do if it comes to it. And she HATES the Tortle hat.