Trying to Get Pregnant

Pain in ovary and wanting sex!

So we are TTC and it's our first try this cycle. I've got the slippery cm and a pain in my right ovary. My question is does the pain mean the eggs been released or getting ready to etc? Does anyone even know that lol?

Also does anyone else get a pain in either your r/l ovary?

Re: Pain in ovary and wanting sex!

• Oh and my sex drive these last couple days have been really fun and wild. Lol
  • Oh and super tender breasts today along with my crampy feeling in ovary. Did the Frist response ovulation perdictor and it was + this morning. But - yesterday.
  • Loading the player...
  • If it hurts, either don't do it, or go gentle.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • It could possibly be ovulation pains that you felt but there isn't really a way to tell that for sure because ovulation pains can feel very much like digestive issues or appendix issues. Temping will tell you when you ovulated AFTER you already have and only if you started temping before ovulation. I know almost everyone on here swears by temping but TBH it is only really useful if you do it religiously over several cycles so you can start to see a pattern and even then it will only confirm when you already ovulated not tell you before. OPKs will show you when you have LH in your system but that does not pinpoint ovulation as it could be up to 48 hours before you actually ovulate after getting a positive OPKOPK, if at all.

Aside from that, I believe I have had ovulation pains myself. It can range from brief, sharp pain to long aching pain. I haven't been able to find definite answers as to exactly when the pain occurs but the best info I found was that it is believed to be caused either by the fluid from the follicle causing an irritation in the abdomen or possibly from the release itself. I know that doesn't really answer your question tho. You won't necessarily feel it every time either. Some women only feel it on one side or the other, some on both sides. You might only feel it once in a while too. I think that is why it is hard to say for sure that that is what you felt.
  • @TheBorg7of9 first of all I have to say I love your name. Makes me giggle every time I see it.

Second, thank you for your opinion. Yes it can be useful if you know what you are looking at, if you have done it for the whole cycle and if you aren't trying to predict when you will ovulate. That was my point. If you started temping at the beginning of your cycle you might be able to tell several days after you ovulated but if you are trying to predict (which makes more sense to me since having sex several days after you ovulate isn't going to get you pregnant) then temping won't really help you on your first cycle especially if you start it mid cycle. Temping alone to predict ovulation won't work till you have a pattern. I don't think we totally disagree here though. I also agree that combining multiple methods is much more effective because any one of these methods has its downfalls. OPKs and CM won't confirm ovulation but they give you some warning so you can make sure you have sex during your fertile window. Temping won't give you any advanced warning but will let you know when your fertile window is closed.

And who says you have to stop having sex just because you ovulated? Most experts recommend having sex every 2-3 days throughout your cycle to help keep sperm healthy. And since sperm can survive inside the female for up to a week, you are bound to hit your fertile window at least once with that schedule.

I have never tracked my temps because I feel like it is to much for my anxiety but that didn't stop me from getting pregnant. By simply keeping track of my AF and having sex regularly I was able to conceive. Everyone has their methods and temping simply will not work for everyone so why is it that every time someone has a question about ovulation, temping gets shoved in their face? (Just for the record, this is not meant to start an argument. Just sharing my opinion.)
  • TheBorg7of9TheBorg7of9 member
    edited April 2015

@TheBorg7of9 first of all I have to say I love your name. Makes me giggle every time I see it.

Second, thank you for your opinion. Yes it can be useful if you know what you are looking at, if you have done it for the whole cycle and if you aren't trying to predict when you will ovulate. That was my point. If you started temping at the beginning of your cycle you might be able to tell several days after you ovulated but if you are trying to predict (which makes more sense to me since having sex several days after you ovulate isn't going to get you pregnant) then temping won't really help you on your first cycle especially if you start it mid cycle. Temping alone to predict ovulation won't work till you have a pattern. I don't think we totally disagree here though. I also agree that combining multiple methods is much more effective because any one of these methods has its downfalls. OPKs and CM won't confirm ovulation but they give you some warning so you can make sure you have sex during your fertile window. Temping won't give you any advanced warning but will let you know when your fertile window is closed.

And who says you have to stop having sex just because you ovulated? Most experts recommend having sex every 2-3 days throughout your cycle to help keep sperm healthy. And since sperm can survive inside the female for up to a week, you are bound to hit your fertile window at least once with that schedule.

I have never tracked my temps because I feel like it is to much for my anxiety but that didn't stop me from getting pregnant. By simply keeping track of my AF and having sex regularly I was able to conceive. Everyone has their methods and temping simply will not work for everyone so why is it that every time someone has a question about ovulation, temping gets shoved in their face? (Just for the record, this is not meant to start an argument. Just sharing my opinion.)

I think we agree… mostly.

Except for the part about being able to stop having sex. lol.  When you've been trying for 2 years and your husband has low T, low sex drive and trouble finishing, it's a wonderful thing to know you already ovulated and can stop attempting to have awkward ttc sex.  You can keep sperm healthy with regular ejaculation, even if it is outside of the vagina… :)

I recommend temping because it is the only way to answer people's questions they ask all the time.  Am I pregnant?  When did I ovulate? Am I regularly ovulating? When can I test? Could my symptoms be from pregnancy or is it too early?  Is my pregnancy dated correctly or am I having a miscarriage?  Temping is the only way to answer these questions.  If you don't want to temp that's totally fine.  Everyone can do what they would like to do.  But if you don't temp, you have to accept that you do not know when you ovulated and you do not know if you can take a reliable test and you don't know what could be causing your symptoms.

Curious why you say temping won't work for everyone?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• tigerfish227tigerfish227 member
    edited April 2015
    Mentally... I can't mentally do it because trying to keep track of all of that... Just the thought stresses me out. I h had to switch to a non daily birth control because I couldn't remember to take the damn pill every day. It won't work for me because of my anxiety.

Sorry for the bit of a rant in my last post. It just seems like that is all I see on here is "are you temping?" "You should be temping" "why aren't you temping?!" And so on... I get that it will confirm ovulation when done right but not everyone can or is willing to do it. If it works for you, great! I'm happy for you. But not everyone is you.

ETA: Sorry for your struggles with your DH. I hope you get a BFP soon and can stop the awkwardness.
  • Jags8Jags8 member

Mentally... I can't mentally do it because trying to keep track of all of that... Just the thought stresses me out. I h had to switch to a non daily birth control because I couldn't remember to take the damn pill every day. It won't work for me because of my anxiety.

Sorry for the bit of a rant in my last post. It just seems like that is all I see on here is "are you temping?" "You should be temping" "why aren't you temping?!" And so on... I get that it will confirm ovulation when done right but not everyone can or is willing to do it. If it works for you, great! I'm happy for you. But not everyone is you.

And that is fine. But again, if you don't temp, you can't answer yourself all those questions people have that Borg just listed. So how the hell are we supposed to know?
  • I agree with PP. If you don't want to temp, fine, but then if you come here asking how you can be late or how you know you had sex when you ovulated because of OPKS, we will not have answers beyond temping. That's the only way to confirm being late or ovulation.
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

• Mentally... I can't mentally do it because trying to keep track of all of that... Just the thought stresses me out. I h had to switch to a non daily birth control because I couldn't remember to take the damn pill every day. It won't work for me because of my anxiety.

ETA: Sorry for your struggles with your DH. I hope you get a BFP soon and can stop the awkwardness.

Oh no. That was 2009 to 2011. We have two kids now. But I think it does take a while to get back in the grove after infertility robbed us both of our sex drives.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• BHEAT14 said:

I have anxiety disorder and I can temp just fine. It also eases my anxiety because I don't worry about knowing if I ovulated or what day I'm supposed to get AF. It takes less than 2 minutes a day and then you don't have to think about it, sorry.
    I agree you don't have to temp but saying it's too hard because of your anxiety disorder just seems like a cop out to me when several other people on this board also suffer from anxiety disorder, depression, bi polar disorder or other mental illness, and still manage to temp. If you don't want to temp, don't, that's your decision.
     Finally, who stops having sex after O? I have sex whenever I want with DH, I just makes sure to concentrate on my fertile week, which I confirm while using my OPKs and cm. 
    That's great that your anxiety doesn't get in the way for you. Like I said, just thinking about doing it stresses ME out. I didn't say that it was impossible for anyone with anxiety issues. I said that because of mine I choose to avoid it because I know my own triggers. What works for me is to do what I'm doing. I track my AF, I have sex frequently and I try to not over analyze everything because if something out of the ordinary happens my mind takes me to worst case scenarios. I tend to dwell on little insignificant things instead of being able to shrug it off. Everyone has their demons and deals with them differently.
    From what you said, it helps you deal with your anxiety by knowing. For me if I was even a day or two off I would be freaking out and trying to figure out what is wrong with me. (I know it is normal to fluctuate but my brain doesn't let it go no matter what I tell myself) It is easier for me to not know and thus not worry that there is a problem.
  • I agree with PP. If you don't want to temp, fine, but then if you come here asking how you can be late or how you know you had sex when you ovulated because of OPKS, we will not have answers beyond temping. That's the only way to confirm being late or ovulation.

The OP asked about possible ovulation pains and what causes them. She didn't ask when she ovulated or if she was late. What does temping have to do with it? Yes she mentioned her OPKs and cm but she was asking when ovulation pain occurs, what is the cause. Clearly the default answer is "you need to be temping" instead of actually answering her question. So far I'm the only one who actually addressed the real question.
  • Jags8Jags8 member

I agree with PP. If you don't want to temp, fine, but then if you come here asking how you can be late or how you know you had sex when you ovulated because of OPKS, we will not have answers beyond temping. That's the only way to confirm being late or ovulation.

The OP asked about possible ovulation pains and what causes them. She didn't ask when she ovulated or if she was late. What does temping have to do with it? Yes she mentioned her OPKs and cm but she was asking when ovulation pain occurs, what is the cause. Clearly the default answer is "you need to be temping" instead of actually answering her question. So far I'm the only one who actually addressed the real question.
    I see what you're saying.

OP to answer your question, women can feel what they attribute to ovulation pain before, during, or after they have actually ovulated.
  • See I am on CD37 and have no clue if I Oed or if I BD on the right day even though I kept track of my CM. And I have BFN on sunday. I am feeling pains and cramps myself as well. can this be ovulation pain? sure. can it be implant pains? maybe. can it be AF showing up soon? yea that too. can it be something I ate? why not. 
    I know its hard not to symptom spot, so try not to, just keep taking HPT once a week till AF shows up. And I do suggest temping. I am starting as soon as AF shows up even though we will be on a break from TTC till September.

Age 24 DH 24 TTC#1!
    NTNP since June '14
    TTC since February '15
    Anniversary

photo mrsespigreen_3_Autocorrect Fail Bumpie-2_zps0y7kauvn.jpg
  • firebaby688firebaby688 member
    edited April 2015

I agree with PP. If you don't want to temp, fine, but then if you come here asking how you can be late or how you know you had sex when you ovulated because of OPKS, we will not have answers beyond temping. That's the only way to confirm being late or ovulation.

I should clarify. I was meaning why the knee jerk reaction is temping and what purpose that serves and why it is so often mentioned in posts. Not necessarily why it fit this one post. I was addressing the general discussion on temping.
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

I should clarify. I was meaning why the knee jerk reaction is temping and what purpose that serves and why it is so often mentioned in posts. Not necessarily why it fit this one post. I was addressing the general discussion on temping.
    If it is relevant to the question I can totally understand. That isn't what gets to me. It's threads like this that just because the word ovulation is in there the immediate response is temping. My thought was does anyone even continue reading at that point or just go on autopilot and forget that it isn't all about temping. Honestly I'm starting to wonder if this was another random drive by post since the OP has not returned to acknowledge the responses anyways. Hello @Knottie3702344 are you still here?

Thanks everyone for all your honest opinions and not turning this into a bitch-fest as well. It's nice to see a healthy discussion once in a while instead of tearing each other apart when we don't 100% agree.

Actually, if you backtrack I answered her question. Maybe not the way she wanted, or you wanted, but I answered it. I said yeah, it could have missed it. And yeah it could be ovulation cramps. But it also could not be. And she also could not have ovulated yet. And if she would rather be able to answer her own questions and know more concretely then temping is great.

I didnt shove it down hee throat. I offered an option she may not have considered.

I felt I was very helpful. Sorry you didnt.
  • I have had similar ovulation symptoms before, in fact I had a ton of them this cycle... but as others above have shared, the only way to really know when you O'd is by temping.

Symptoms like you're having could happen leading up to O, during O, or even after O from what I've read in TCOYF (if you haven't read that book yet, I highly suggest it... it will teach you a ton about your reproductive system).  So although these could be signs... you can't know for sure the timing of O just from these symptoms.

I will tell you though that at least my OBGYN was very encouraged to hear that I get these symptoms.  All good signs that your body is working properly to make a baby at some point :)  Hope that helps!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pain that you're feeling can't compare to the joy that's coming - Romans 8:18

DD born 6/20/2011

TTC#2 since Feb 2014
    My Chart: