Trying to Get Pregnant

About to try for the first time ever, and 38th birthday next week.

Hey y'all!

I just got back from a promising visit to the fertility doc, and I thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm so excited/nervous about this journey!

I'm about to turn 38.  I've never tried to get pregnant before, and never even been a situation where sperm and egg might possibly meet, except I guess for that one condom mishap in high school (best first day of my period ever!).  I'm bi, but mostly gay, and only ever had relationships with guys who had been snipped.  When I turned 35, I thought I would give up on my dream of conceiving a child, since I wasn't in the sort of relationship that could support starting a family.  Then I met my wife, fell madly in love, got married, settled down, and realized that I hadn't *quite* gone past the expiration date on my eggs, so here I am!

Between my age and the fact that at-home artificial insemination is illegal where I live, I went to a fertility doctor.  My blood work is not awesome-- it indicates low ovarian reserve, so I've taken letrozole and was given a HCG trigger shot to use tomorrow night.  But my follicles look good (two big fat ones today, and good lining), so I'm cautiously optimistic!

I'm trying to find the right path, letting myself feel positive and hopeful and excited, while still being realistic about the potential challenges.  I'm trying to be healthy without driving myself crazy.  For those of you who have been walking this path for a while, I hope you take the time to recognize how strong you are!!!  There is so much information overload on the internet, so many ways we can criticize ourselves for our past choices, the current state of our health, whether we're eating the right things, avoiding the wrong things, etc. etc.  This is not an easy thing.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Re: About to try for the first time ever, and 38th birthday next week.

• Jags8Jags8 member
    Welcome, and best of luck!
  • Welcome and good luck on your journey!
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Best of luck to you! There's also a TTC after 35 board here, which has a great community of ladies who are very familiar with age-related fertility concerns.
  • Hello and good luck!
    Me:27 DH:27
    Married: May 2013
    TTC#1 since Nov 2014
    MC June 2015
    MC January 2016
    Compound Hetero MTHFR Gene Mutation
  • ecmbecmb member

Welcome and good luck!

By the way I had no idea that was illegal anywhere.  You learn something everyday I guess.

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• Best of luck to you on you're exciting new journey : )
  • Good luck to you!
  • Good luck to you! You've come to a great place with many helpful women with wisdom to share. :)
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• surferP528surferP528 member
    edited April 2015
  • Welcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 10/19/13

TTC #2!

My Ovulation Chart
  • Thank you all so much!  I just got back from the IUI.  I came back to my office, but I can sit comfortably, work at a slow pace, listen to music, so it's not bad.  I'm feeling fine, really.  Just weird!  I mean, part of me is like 12, and just wants to tell everyone that there's SPERM in me! Ha ha!

I have a suspicion, though, that I ovulated a little early.  I had a positive (test line matched the control line) test result when I was getting ready to take the trigger shot, and a hard positive (dark fuschia text line) the next morning.  My doctor thought the timing would still be good though.  And then my temperature spiked this morning, but I got up to pee a half hour before my alarm (thinking it was way earlier in the morning), so the activity before taking my temp might have caused my temperature to rise.

Oh well-- this is the first try.  I may be good at tests, but I'm probably not the exceptional person who strikes gold the very first attempt.  If I ovulated early, then at least I ovulated, and that's promising. Also, the donor sperm passed with flying colors-- 13.8 million, great motility, so yay on that front!

Now we wait!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)