Potty Training
Options

Normal PTing issue?

We're on day 2 of potty-training in panties with our 2.5 year old (we are admittedly training her pretty late in the game considering how smart she is- I suck :( ). She's doing really well but the only issue is that she dribbles two or three drops in her panties before she realizes she has to pee/ is in transit to the potty and because I can't bear the thought of her walking around in peed in panties we're burning through panties like nobody's business. Is this a normal transitional thing? Anything I can do to help her with this?

Disclaimer: Commando training is not an option for us, we got three days in and were almost completely successful two weeks ago using this method but she ended up with a UTI that derailed everything. Even though our house is clean the doctor feels commando training is to blame and I REALLY have no interest in going through that  garbage again (long story short she ended up admitted to hospital).

Re: Normal PTing issue?

• Options
    1.  Intelligence has nothing to do with readiness for PT. 

2.  You don't suck, so don't beat yourself up over this.

I think it's pretty normal to dribble a little, as the child learns to recognize the sensations that accompany the "gotta go" and "whoops you're actually already going" moments.  In fact, when my kids went through this, I felt like that "oops -- I'm peeing already" stage was crucial to the whole thing.

Just keep offering her liquids and lots of chances to succeed.  You're probably closer than you think!  Congrats!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

Thanks for your reply @neverblushed ! I felt like crap after reading (warning: irony ahead) Oh Crap! Potty Training because she made it sound like if you had an advanced child (which DD1 is in all areas) that you are essentially robbing them of their dignity by not getting your stuff together and training them.

Today has actually been a good day- no accidents yet, no dribbles, she had her first trip out for a few hours in panties with no incident. Hoping you're right and the dribbles were just integral to the learning process! Really hoping she'll have this PT thing down by September so we can confirm her spot at the preschool!