February 2015 Moms

Vaccinations :(

My DS is due for his first round of vaccines next week and I am scared to death!! What have you ladies decided to do about vaccines, I know they are important but also know there can be issues with them!! Just looking for the best way to move forward for my baby. Thank you

Re: Vaccinations :(

• I, too, was absolutely dreading LO's first round of vaccinations (got them on Monday). I am pro vaccinating, but I was so concerned about how LO would react after hearing horror stories. I even spoke with different pediatricians about spreading them out. Long story short, LO one did amazing. He only cried with the first prick but I scooped him up right after and he was fine. We nursed right after which my ped recommended, and LO has been fine since - no change in eating or sleeping, no fever, etc. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Did you end up spacing out the vaccines or did you get all the recommended shots at once? I am pro vaccine too, but all of my friends have spaced them out to one a month... I can't find much written on this and the pros vs. cons
  • We got them all at once. The safety of getting the vaccinations on the recommended schedule has been proven, and several pediatricians spoke to the fact that spacing them out only increases the amount of times LO would be back in the office getting shots. I compared it to just ripping the bandaid off. One crappy visit as opposed to several crappy visits!!
  • My LO got his first round the other day. I was expecting 5 shots but it was 1 oral and 2 injections. Both injections were given at the same time (2 nurses) and I nursed him immediately afterwards. I felt silly for being so anxious
  • We had our first round on Wednesday, it wasn't so bad. She cried for 30 seconds, I nursed her immediately and all was well with the world. She was a little sore and fussy later. But with a dose of Tylenol it was fine. Glad it's over with!
  • Dose of Tylenol before we head in, feeding during the injection. Tylenol as needed for the next 24 hours. We also use a modified schedule worked out with our doctor because my LOs don't react well to getting them all done at once.
  • I was recommended not to give Tylenol until I'm sure my LO needs it as opposed to before when you were told to give them some before and soon after , it's making me a little anxious that by the time I give her some she's going to be extremely fussy , all my LO has done so far is sleep though .
  • I didn't give Tylenol until my LO got a little fever. His mood changed within 15 minutes. I wouldn't worry too much.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• We just had ours - all at once. He of course cried right after they were done but once he ate was just fine. I did notice the next day he was fussy and I think had some residual soreness/achiness and we were told to use baby Tylenol (the correct dose for his weight). I did give him Tylenol yesterday which seemed to help immensely. Anyway, long story short, our LO is back to his normal happy go lucky self today and I am so happy that he is protected...so worth a little ouch for me :)
  • I'm taking my guy tomorrow, glad to read some good tips! Fingers crossed for a happy dude!
  • I am spacing hers out and the doctor is completely understanding. I did Rotavirus and DTap this month and next month I'm doing the rest- alternating every month. Do what makes you comfortable- at the end of the day, you're her mother and no one but you will be taking care of her so you need to do what you feel is right. Google Dr. Sears alternative schedule for an idea.
  • BrandiLynn83BrandiLynn83 member
    edited June 2015
    I follow the Dr. Sears alternative schedule as closely as possible. She goes twice as often but only gets half the vaccinations at each visit so her system isn't overwhelmed. Don't listen to them if they tell you they can't split combo vaccines like Dtap. First one told me it couldn't be done. I switched offices and the second said it was no problem.
  • BrandiLynn83BrandiLynn83 member
    edited June 2015
    I'm doing the same Catrybka. Makes me feel better.