Pregnant after 35
Options

Birth story -- 1 month late (sorry!)

mdogan29mdogan29 member
edited April 2015 in Pregnant after 35
Hi everyone!! I hope you are doing well! I'm sorry I'm so late with my birth story - I have not been near the computer at all and I don't use TB on my phone. I've tried to get on here several times but we've had so many visitors & people staying here (plus recovery time) it's been impossible.

I thank @NeonNoon for letting everyone know that my son arrived back in March. My due date was 3/18/15 but with high BP concerns and the last ultrasound estimating he might be 10+ lbs my OB talked us into getting induced. I went into the hospital on the evening of 3/11 and was given a Cytotec vaginally to help ripen my cervix as I was 0% everything -- baby was still high and 0cm dilated, etc. So went to sleep with that and had all the monitors attached (which sure made getting up every 3 hours to pee a real annoyance!!), but didn't really get much sleep. At 8am on 3/12 they started me on Oxytocin even though I was only 1cm dilated and no other changes. Spent ~10 hours on that with no change at all, so they clamped off the Oxytocin and gave me another Cytotec before bed that night. I slept a little better that night, maybe 4 hours. Next morning, 3/13, started on Oxytocin again, was on it for another 6 hours and was finally starting to feel some pretty strong contractions, but I had only progressed to 3cm dilated and everything else was still the same -- he was happy in there!  At this point I had been in the hospital for about 30 hours and my OB mentioned c-section, but I wasn't sure I was ready yet. But with as strong as the contractions were getting and the little progression, they weren't going to give me an epidural without more progress and they couldn't break my water because he hadn't dropped. So, after many conversations with the nurse & DH and OB again, we decided to do the c-section ... I was reallllly nervous about the spinal ... and with good reason. The OR was just a mess, loaded with a ton of people who were all talking at the same time and giving me instructions. Another anesthesiologist came barging in the room (not the nice Dr who introduced himself an hour earlier in my room) and seemed like he was in a huge hurry and was telling me I needed to tell him if he had needle in the right place (how the heck am I supposed to know?) ... anyway, he tried it 4 different times, with unsure responses from me and one shocking scream (pain jolted down my whole right side and I yelled out)... he said "Just knock her out." and walked out of the room. I started to freak out and cry and asked them if we could try again, I really didn't want to be asleep when my baby came and I wanted my husband to be with me... then all these people with masks standing over me were all telling me to do different things and I was getting really confused/overwhelmed and started hyperventilating. One of the nurses put an oxygen mask on me but it didn't feel like anything was coming in and she kept telling me to take deep breaths, but I felt like I was suffocating, so she started pushing it down harder and they were strapping me down, I felt like I was was trapped and asked to leave several times. Fortunately they knocked me out quickly after that!  I woke up several hours later to some woman barking at me to turn on my side, but it didn't sound like English... I was still pretty groggy. Then my husband appeared and I started crying again (happy to see him tears), but I wasn't really talking yet. Finally the nurse and another guy (male nurse I guess) just rolled me on my side... I wasn't sure what they were doing at the time, but I guess they wanted the transfer sheets from underneath me and DH said I was scowling at them. I don't remember, but I was so confused I didn't even ask about the baby (still wasn't really talking yet) and then he showed me photos on his camera and then the tears really started.  I finally got moved into my hospital room and they said the baby was coming down soon and then I finally got to meet him! Luckily, DH was with him just 5 minutes after he was born, so that made me feel better.  I don't know if I was a bad patient, but it seemed like a really scary delivery to me...

Anyway, Sebastian Grey was born on 3/13/15 at 4:33pm weighing 9lbs 12oz and 22.5 inches long! And my OB told me he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, so now I'm really glad she didn't break my water! I was up and moving around the next day, but we didn't come home until Monday evening 3/16 (also because of a problem with his circumcision, he wouldn't stop bleeding!), but have been doing fairly well since then. I've been having problems w/ breastfeeding/pumping milk... there's just not a lot there. I was upset with the delivery and now this... it makes me feel like I'm kind of a failure as a mom that I can't do things how I hoped/wanted to. But he's a very sweet baby and that cheers me up...

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's birth stories and looking forward to hearing about the rest of you who are due soon! :)

Here's some photos:

----
ME: 40, DH: 44, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!! DS born 3/13/2015

Re: Birth story -- 1 month late (sorry!)

• Options
    Oh, my, he is so precious!

I am so sorry you had such a tough experience.  YIKES!  I think I would have freaked out, too.  Just knock her out?  Really?  There would have been some major yelling and cursing from this Jersey Girl had he talked to me like that.  (Of course that's easy to say when you're not in labor and haven't been in the hospital for 30 hours with little progress.)

Thank you for sharing your story.  I am going to make sure that my fiance knows that, if something like this happens to me, that he better make sure he (or the docs and nurses) are telling me what is going on at the time.  Talk about scary!

Oh, and don't feel like a failure!!!  You brought a beautiful baby boy into the world.  That is huge!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, your birth experience sounds so incredibly traumatic!! I feel so angry toward the medical staff right now! As though you hadn't been through enough after 30+ hours of trying to induce, to be treated that way in the OR is just terrible. I'm so sorry you went through that.

But then I got to the pictures of your handsome baby boy with this big beautiful eyes and I melted. He is precious. Congratulations!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He is gorgeous! Congrats mama! So sorry you had a traumatic birth!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yeah that was a really rough story. I'm also pretty mad at the OR staff on your behalf for just generally being standoffish, or rude, or confusing! But, yes, then I got to the pictures and got to the 'awwww' factor. And go easy on yourself with regards to your boobies, mama, you're doing a great job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What a beautiful baby :) Congrats again
  • Options
    Congratulations on your precious boy, but ugh to how you were treated.

I hate it when medical professionals forget that just because they do it every day and know what is going on, doesn't mean the patient has any idea what is happening and can have all kinds of understandable anxiety about what is/about to happen.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Oh man, what a crazy OR experience! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Sounds like a really badly managed team... 

However, Sebastian (!!!) is gorgeous, and I hope you are recovering well and getting some rest.
  • Options
    mdogan29 said:

Another anesthesiologist [...] was telling me I needed to tell him if he had needle in the right place

This sounds completely insane!
  • Options
    First, what a handsome little boy!!  Those eyes!!!  He is so alert and aware.

Oh sweetheart, that was a horrid labor experience and the Anesthesiologist was a dick. Excuse my language.  After 3 epidurals, I have NEVER been asked if it was placed correctly.  I am sorry you went through that.  In hind sight, with the cord around his neck, it was good you had a c-section.  

Don't beat yourself up on the issue with breast feeding. Do your best. And if you come to a point where it is not working for you and your son, make a decision best for you guys.  I had issues with breast feeding. I tried. And the one baby I got in a great groove with I had to stop because of my heart issues.  My kids today are strong tall and healthy.  Give it your all and then enjoy your baby.  That bond is the most important thing then stress. :)   
    ****Siggy Warning***
    ~Formerly ABabyMabe4us

Me(35) Him(35) Untied for life 4/1/2015.
    TTC Our 1st since 8/2014
    MC @ 7 weeks 5/2014
    Me: DD#1 3/2000, DD#2 6/2001, DS 5/2003
    BFP: 2/19/2015 EDD: 11/1/2015 IT'S A BOY!!!!

• Options
    Wow this was super scary, and you are amazingly brave!
    And your boy is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!! He doesn't look like a newborn at all - so aware and so smart looking, how awesome!!! 

(Btw, where is that horrible hospital with those awful people? I hope not in Northern Virginia because I don't want to go there!!)
    Me: 41; DH: 49
    Married in 2010. 
    Laparoscopy for endometriosis - July 2010.
    BFP#1: Jan 2011; MMC March 2011
    BFP#2: Nov 2011; Blighted Ovum December 2011
    Diagnosed with high FSH and DOR - January 2012
    BFP#3: (Gonal-F, Trigger + TI) - May 2012; DD born Jan 2013 (c-section because of partial placental abruption)

December 2013: FSH 27, AMH < 0.03
    A few medicated TI cycles in 2014.
    BFP#4: (Gonal-F, Trigger +TI) - Nov 2014; DS born July 2015

• Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! We love him and think he is so adorable -- definitely looks more like his dad -- his clone!

Yes!! It was quite a traumatic experience. I saw my OB yesterday for my 6-week follow-up appointment and I asked her if there was something I could do, write a letter or file some kind of complaint and she told me that she had a few choice words for the anesthesiologist and that the head nurse who was present during the delivery wrote him up and he's currently under review (and apparently wasn't the first time someone complained about him), she apologized for the whole ordeal.

I did want to mention that even though it was a long 5 days in the hospital (Rex Hospital in Raleigh, NC) and a scary delivery with some bad OR folks --- the L&D nurses, doctors & other staff, my OB and the food were awesome!

On another positive note, I just realized this week that I never looked at the photos my DH took with our camera (I only saw photos from his phone) and seeing a photo of him in scrubs holding the baby about 10 minutes after delivery made me feel a little better overall. *happy tears*

----
    ME: 40, DH: 44, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!! DS born 3/13/2015
  • Options
    OMG! Cuteness overload!