Babies: 6 - 9 Months

8 month old will only bottle feed

Hi everyone, so I have an 8 month old son who will actually be 9 months this month. He hates to be spoon fed anything. I've tried all different types of foods, cereal, oatmeal... He will take a bite or two and refuse any more. It always ends in me feeding him a bottle. The bottles don't seem to keep him full. He is waking up three times a night just to eat. Has anyone dealt with this, any advice?

Re: 8 month old will only bottle feed

• Can you feed him bigger bottles at each feeding? That way he can stay more full for longer periods?

I wouldn't worry about your LO not eating solids. "Food before one is just for fun." Try offering it to him once a week or so. And try letting him play with the spoons, so he is use to them.

• edited April 2015
    Food before 1 is NOT just for fun! It is an important part f a baby's diet and development! Drives me nuts when people say that statement and have no idea where it even came from... If you're going off of the fact that WHO recommends BFing for x amount of time, be aware that they ALSO actually state this:
    'Complementary feeding
    Around the age of 6 months, an infant’s need for energy and nutrients starts to exceed what is provided by breast milk, and complementary foods are necessary to meet those needs. An infant of this age is also developmentally ready for other foods. If complementary foods are not introduced when a child has reached 6 months, or if they are given inappropriately, an infant’s growth may falter. Guiding principles for appropriate complementary feeding are....'
    Etc etc... Just go to their website and search infant feeding.

OP keep trying. It's a gradual process. Baby will learn.
  • Loading the player...
  • tastes and textures were big for our little guy. We purchased one of the mesh pockets they can nibble on and he is progressively getting better.  I doubt that was of much help but you will find little tips and tricks. just keep at it until he isn't pushing the spoon fed food out of his mouth. Try cold/room temperature/warm food too. I would want my peas warmed...LO loves them cold or room temperature at the very least...I like cold applesauce but he likes warm. To each his own. try switching it up but DONT give up!!

Good luck!

• Are you giving a bottle before the baby food? My daughter will eat baby food any time of day, but my son will only focus on the baby food if he had already had his bottle first. just an idea! Good luck.
  • Food before 1 is NOT just for fun! It is an important part f a baby's diet and development! Drives me nuts when people say that statement and have no idea where it even came from... If you're going off of the fact that WHO recommends BFing for x amount of time, be aware that they ALSO actually state this:
    'Complementary feeding
    Around the age of 6 months, an infant’s need for energy and nutrients starts to exceed what is provided by breast milk, and complementary foods are necessary to meet those needs. An infant of this age is also developmentally ready for other foods. If complementary foods are not introduced when a child has reached 6 months, or if they are given inappropriately, an infant’s growth may falter. Guiding principles for appropriate complementary feeding are....'

I profoundly disagree.

Before 1 year food is strictly for learning & formula/Breast milk is all they need.

You can make solids fun & let the kid try to feed themselves. Let them make a mess & "fail".

Both my kids hated being spoon fed. They loved letting me just let them have at it. By a year they mastered spoons/forks. They eat a lot more when they feel big & can stuff their little gobs.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Jeska06Jeska06 member
    Same thing is going on with my son. We have been doing foods for a couple of months now and he has been doing great till this week. He will have his bottle in the morning and cereal about 4 hours after that. when it comes to lunch or dinner time he will maybe take two or three bites of his food and refuse to eat the rest. He has no problem taking the bottle though.
  • Jeska06 said:

Same thing is going on with my son. We have been doing foods for a couple of months now and he has been doing great till this week. He will have his bottle in the morning and cereal about 4 hours after that. when it comes to lunch or dinner time he will maybe take two or three bites of his food and refuse to eat the rest. He has no problem taking the bottle though.

Welcome to Toddler Eating...

My almost four year old does this.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Food before 1 is NOT just for fun! It is an important part f a baby's diet and development! Drives me nuts when people say that statement and have no idea where it even came from... If you're going off of the fact that WHO recommends BFing for x amount of time, be aware that they ALSO actually state this:
    'Complementary feeding

Hogwash. When your baby is eating the most minuscule amounts of food, it is just for fun. My baby is 8 months old with no teeth. She will eat SOME more solid food but definitely not enough to sustain her. Don't scare a mom into giving more food if her kid is t ready.

BFP#1 4/17/2013 EDD 12/25/2013, MC 5/17/2013 8 weeks 3 days D&C 5/18/2013

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

'Complementary feeding

Hogwash. When your baby is eating the most minuscule amounts of food, it is just for fun. My baby is 8 months old with no teeth. She will eat SOME more solid food but definitely not enough to sustain her. Don't scare a mom into giving more food if her kid is t ready.
    =D>

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards: