February 2015 Moms

Baby sleeps all day and awake all night

my baby does not want to sleep at night !! She's 6 weeks old and I think she's confuse between day and night . Any tips ?!!

Re: Baby sleeps all day and awake all night

• Make the difference in lighting noticeable. Bright during the day (even naps) and dark at night with a bedtime routine. Try and keep baby awake as long as possible during the day (while giving naps) to start to flip things around! Good luck momma!
  • Routine is definitely key! I'm very lucky with my sleeper but I'm hoping it's partly because of the routine i have her on. Around 5-6 is when I let her have her last nap. I definitely try to keep her awake for at least an hour and half before bed, preferably more tho! For her last feeding when I want to put her to sleep this is my routine: go to the bedroom, change diaper, swaddle, lights out (just a lamp on), turn on some white noise, then feed, burp and cuddle. Even if she's not fully asleep I lay her down. When I first started doing this she seemed to fuss if she wasn't asleep but now she easily goes to sleep!! She's amazing. Idk if it's because of her, or the routine... Probably a little of both! But definitely find a routine that works for you and stick to it! Only change slightly if your baby doesn't work well with it.

Also my baby usually has one big nap during the day of 2-3 hours, the rest are no longer than an hour.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh and as the other mom said - naps are with lights on and actually I have her out in the living room as well, not ever in her crib. There's normal noise and lights during her naps! This probably separates day and night even more!
  • All newborns do it. They don't understand difference in day and night. Don't make it pitch dark during the day and try keeping her awake atleast for an hour before starting bedtime. Maybe you should start a routine that goes well with bedtime. Like, we do eat, bath, massage, cuddle, night lights out and off to bed. We also use a sleep sack that helps LO identify with bedtime. Now at each bedtime, she would point towards sleep sack and say nenene nne! LOL!! Babydeedee.com sleep sacks are awesome, never thought one small thing can make such a positive difference to my lo's bedtime..

• What time do you put your LO down for the night? Do you dream feed?

I'll take any advice from good sleepers right now...my little 8 week old is trying to kill me at night!!
  • My baby girl sleeps like a champ. She's 5 weeks old. As soon as she got home
    And on a routine she has slept
    Very well. I do have to say that she doesn't go to sleep for the night until pretty late, usually around 11:30 -12:45 is when she goes to sleep. She wakes up on cue around 5:30-6:30 for a feeding, and then back to sleep until about 10 and sometimes 12. I know probably not typical baby hours. She takes naps during the day, usually no longer than
    2-3 hours. She sleeps in a bright room, with plenty of noise. Her last nap is usually around 8 and then she wakes up and I try to keep her awake for a little while before finally putting her to bed.

I have always swaddled her. She hates it! She kicks and cries for a little bit, but then she's fine. I have tried to leave her out of the swaddler but she wakes up more frequently at night. So I don't do that anymore. We co-sleep so maybe she sleeps
    better because of it? Not sure. She has a basinet but we haven't really used it. She's my first baby so I love having her close.

So I usually change her diaper, swaddle, feed, cuddle her, then put her down. I also keep a pacifier for her. Her doctor said that sometimes babies just need to suckle.

I go back to work in a month so I am
    going to start putting her to bed earlier. Hope this helps.
  • Yes, you should keep out what light you can whenever they are asleep (in their crib). During the night, just wake, feed, change, swaddle tightly and put down. Keep it boring.
    during the day they should feed every 3 hours, wake after 1.5/2 hours, feed, and play (keep the lights on, let some sun in), and put down for next nap.

Here is the best solution out there...correctly swaddle and get them on schedule!!! And you should put them down awake so they learn how to soothe themselves. Seriously, until we swaddled this way our LO never slept more than an hour at a time. The trick is to get the Mom's On Call swaddle blanket. All other ones are too small for the growing babies. And once on a schedule never let them take naps that last more than 1.2 to 2 hours during the day or they won't sleep well at night. And ALWAYS make sure there is 3 hours between the last two feedings of the day before going down for the night. This will ensure they eat a lot and will sleep longer. To help get them through that first long stretch at night, make sure that bedtime feeding is done with a bottle so they get the most ammount of ounces as possible (never let them suck the bottle dry). This can be expressed milk, formula, or a combination of both. It also helps to have the same bedtime routine each night. For example, let's say their second to last feeding is at 4pm...wake them at 7pm, give them a bath, feed by Bottle (this is the tender time), change/swaddle well and put down. I can not emphasize swaddling tightly CORRECTLY enough. You can feel comfortable with this method because nurses (who also have many children) designed this technique (and wrote their books).

Our LO was swaddled before we did this method, but would never sleep for more than an hour or so at a time. But once we started this at 4wks of age she began sleeping 6-9 hours at night instantly! And now we WAKE her from her naps after 2 hours and feed every 3 hours during the day.

Here is a YouTube link to how to do the Mom's On Call swaddle.
    https://youtu.be/Osbg3fJRn5M
    You can get their swaddle blankets off their website as well as their book on how to get your baby on a schedule (the schedules are based on their age): Momsoncall.com

I hope you check out this video and get their swaddle blanket because it really saved us! We were beginning to think something was wrong with our LO because of her lack of sleep and constant crying. Turned out she needed this swaddle and once she got it she was able to rest more and in turn is now a happy baby. :)

• My LO is 9 weeks and will sleep at least one 6 hour stretch or 2 back-to-back 3 or 4 hour stretches.

One thing I've done recently is to make sure our room is completely black. If she wakes up at the end of a sleep cycle there is nothing to visually distract her and completely wake her up.

We also use a white noise machine and do not swaddle anymore (she fights it and she's staring to roll onto her side).

I have always kept her in the light and around noise during the day, even for naps.

EVERY baby is different - good luck mama!