Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Low Plateletes and Prednisone

Moms,

I posted this on the third tri board but wanted to see if any of you that recently delivered experienced this and can shed some insight:

I'm 35 weeks and my doc said that my platelet count decreased drastically which means I may not be able to receive an epidural for delivery. She sent me to a hematologist that prescribed prednisone to increase my count. From my understanding prednisone has horrible side effects which makes me nervous. Has anyone else had this condition? If so, how much prednisone were you prescribed and how did you manage the side effects? Was the prednisone effective in increasing your count?

Re: Low Plateletes and Prednisone

• I had low platelets during pregnancy, as well. How low are yours? Mine hovered around 110-115...and on the day I was induced my count was 112...so I was able to get th epidural. I didn't have any medicine like prednisone though. I was told to eat lots of iron rich foods like spinach and leafy greens to help with count. Hopefully yours will trend back up again.
  • I've been on prednisone a ton throughout my life for my asthma. It makes you jittery and can decrease your appetite but that was about the extent of my side effects. I wouldn't stress it. I'd be more concerned about not getting an epidural!