March 2015 Moms

Best and worst things about having a newborn

Having a baby is amazing! But, let’s be real...it’s tough being a new mom.

Here, some of our Bumpies share the best - and worst - parts about having a newborn.

What are your favorite and least favorite things about those crazy first few months?

Re: Best and worst things about having a newborn

• The best is seeing her discover the world.

The worst part is not being to go out to dinner with my husband once in a while (her witching hours are from about 6-10pm), but that will change!
  • Loading the player...
  • hethr519 said:

Best: lying next to him and seeing him open his eyes to make sure I am still there and then drift back to sleep.

I literally just said, "Aww!!!" out loud reading that! 
  • Best: the way she stares at me and how cute she looks when she sleeps.

Worst: how long it takes to leave the house, how she thinks night time is day time, and when she pees while I'm changing her diaper lol
  • Best.. Kissing his teeny tiny feet and hands. The way he smells. Listening to his heart beat. Watching him fall asleep. How comforted he is in my and his fathers arms.

Worst.. Nightly feedings- he seems to be unable to latch as well and it takes much longer to get it done. The worrying... Every little pimple..little loud breaths.. If he's getting enough bm or too much.
  • Word for word quote @MeganPobega for sure. :)
  • Best: snuggles, and The fact that at this age, I'm his favourite person (even if it is only for milk). And watching my DH and DD interact with the baby. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy:)

Worst: lack of sleep, trying to get out the door with a toddler and newborn, and trying not to burn dinner when baby suddenly gets hungry while I'm cooking.
  • I know the struggle. Newborn & a 2 1/2 yo.
  • Best: A healthy baby! Less worry and more time to enjoy this stage. Love when she snuggles up to my bosom and makes her contented noises and grunts.

Cons: Time is moving too fast. One month slipped by so quickly. Trust me, savor these moments. You'll be celebrating baby's first birthday soon and be thinking, "where did my baby go?!?"
  • AGM0616 said:

Best: when she finally falls asleep and it's because you found just the right combination of things to calm her; the little smiles (even if they are from gas)

Worst: exhaustion from bad nights; feeling like I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing (as a FTM); going through SO MANY diapers, especially since she's taken to peeing in her new diaper mid diaper change

All of this for me too!
  • AGM0616 said:

Best: when she finally falls asleep and it's because you found just the right combination of things to calm her; the little smiles (even if they are from gas)

Worst: exhaustion from bad nights; feeling like I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing (as a FTM); going through SO MANY diapers, especially since she's taken to peeing in her new diaper mid diaper change

I swear my little girl gets the feeling to poo as soon as she feels a clean diaper in her bum.

Best - being the reason she stops crying.

Worst - feeling like I'm failing her because my breast milk hasn't helped her grow enough and having to supplement with formula.
  • AGM0616 said:

I hope you find the time to rest a bit this weekend with your LO I-) You deserve it - especially after all those diaper changes!!!
  • Best: all the new discoveries, and the adorable shocked expression when you do something new.

Worst: gas. Whoever designed newborn digestive systems needs a kick in the head. Seeing my baby in pain and not being able to help is torture.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Peledreamsofrain I'm with you on the gas - hearing her gassy gurgles at night and not being able to help is definitely a whole new thing. My body actually twitches to go to her.

The best thing is that my favourite thing about her changes every day, and every day is something new.
  • Best: smiles when I talk to her, listening to her start to coo and babble, the feeling you get when she screams while others are holding her and instantly stops when you take her. Knowing she relies on me for comfort is so amazing

Worst: the lack of urgency DH has in response to her crying, hearing her crying, and cutting those daggers known as finger nails! (And the moment when you nick the skin that makes you cry for at least 20 minutes)
  • CTDD14CTDD14 member
    edited April 2015
    Best- the fact that I look at his little face every day and think 'wow, look how far my little boy has come already! (He was a few weeks premature and we was in hospital for a week after birth as he wasn't very well) I can't believe I made him!'. Totally in awe of him. I even think back to the birth and I remember seeing his little fingers and toes for the very first time- always manages to give me butterflies and it leaves me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Worst- the only thing I can think of that would be considered 'worst' is that i'm sure he knows when I'm about to settle down for dinner, have some me time or when I'm getting ready to go out... That's when he just cries and cries, it's like he's saying 'nuh-uh mommy! Not on my watch!'

Everything else is just part of the package. As much as sometimes I feel like ripping my hair out, it's all got to be done haha. As long as he's happy and healthy, I really can't complain! ☺️
  • Best: when she snuggles up to me after she's clean and has a full belly.
    I didnt BF my first, I can't believe how special it is.
    Watching my 12 year old be such an amazing sister.
    Worst: the broken sleep and when she's hurting from gas :(

This probably sounds mean, but I have a love/hate relationship with her little pouty face. It's so cute but makes me feel bad at the same time !
  • Best: when she snuggles up to me after she's clean and has a full belly.
    I didnt BF my first, I can't believe how special it is.
    Watching my 12 year old be such an amazing sister.
    Worst: the broken sleep and when she's hurting from gas :(

This probably sounds mean, but I have a love/hate relationship with her little pouty face. It's so cute but makes me feel bad at the same time !

Sounds like your baby girl is in very good hands >:D< And what a special time for your 12 year-old! There's nothing quite like becoming a big sister!
  • Best: we have a beautiful, happy and healthy baby boy who is thriving after a difficult start to life and a stay in the NICU.

Worst: not understanding what some of his cries are for, hearing him break his heart and not knowing what to do to help...we just try everything til something works!
  • Best: we have a beautiful, happy and healthy baby boy who is thriving after a difficult start to life and a stay in the NICU.

Worst: not understanding what some of his cries are for, hearing him break his heart and not knowing what to do to help...we just try everything til something works!

So glad to hear he's happy and healthy!! I love your trial and error method to figuring out what's making him cry. Before you know it, he'll be telling you what he wants himself! 
  • Best is him falling asleep holding my finger and snuggling with me. Plus the adorable smiles!
    Worst the idea of something happen to him, that I can't fix.
  • Best- snuggling, reading to him, and the look in his eyes when he is happy in my arms.

Worst- lack of sleep, formula feeding since I did not produce enough BM, and GAS!!!!!
  • Best: the best for.me would probably be looking.in to her eyes and knowing that shes mine and that i made this beautiful bundle of joy. each and every minute i have with her i wouldnt.change.it.for the world.
    Worst: just the lack of sleep, and probably not being able to eat like i use to since im bfing. No more caffeine and junk food. :(( (well maybe once in a while i cheat. Lol )
  • Best: The fact that he's happy and healthy. The cuddles and faces he makes while we're playing or chatting. The little noises he makes, the cooing sigh is my favorite.

Worst: not always knowing why he's crying. He's started to fight sleep the last few days and will just cry and cry. Eating cold food a lot, that makes me sad.
  • Ugh I'm going through the same exact thing with my 3 week old boy! I don't mind co sleeping but I hope he doesn't get spoiled and never want to sleep in his bassinet again lol
  • Streed1 said:

Best- snuggling, reading to him, and the look in his eyes when he is happy in my arms.

Worst- lack of sleep, formula feeding since I did not produce enough BM, and GAS!!!!!

I'm formula feeding too and the gas my LO gets is heart breaking. I'll pm you tomorrow. Wondering what you do to relieve baby's gas.
  • The best thing is knowing that you created this little person and get to live her for the rest of your life
  • Pros: Him in my arms smiling when I talk to him, holding him in arms and realizing he is my miracle, getting him dressed in his cute outfits.

Cons: sleepless nights with feeding, sometimes feeling like a failure as a first time mom, getting out the door.
  • Bluudove said:

Pros: Him in my arms smiling when I talk to him, holding him in arms and realizing he is my miracle, getting him dressed in his cute outfits.

Cons: sleepless nights with feeding, sometimes feeling like a failure as a first time mom, getting out the door.

Nothing better than cute baby outfits! And don't be so hard on yourself, mama  >:D<
  • Check out the Windi to relive gas! This has been such an amazing product to use and it works every time!

https://www.fridababy.com/shop/windi-for-gas-relief/
  • 8:00AM
    The BEST parts of having a newborn for me are: bathtime (she loves it!) hearing her darling voice coo, and yes believe it or not, her siren cry when she's hungry (it sounds so funny!); her gorgeous face, her amazing and crazy hair, her precious scent, and gazing into each other's eyes!
  • Best: his adorable dimples, grunts, and the way he holds my finger when I nurse him.

Worst: when he's fussy during breastfeeding, his screaming/crying and not knowing if it's gas, colic, or something else.
  • adelemsadelems member
    Best - baby smiles. :) he started smiling super early at 4 weeks.

Worst - spit up. Yuck ugh. I'll take lack of sleep and all of that, but spit up? Yuck yuck.