December 2014 Moms
Options

Fussing in crib

When my LO wakes up from sleeping I usually don't go in and pick him up until he actually starts crying. However very few times has he actually gone back to sleep before the crying point.

Usually if he's still tired when I pick him up he goes right back to sleep then I lay him back down. Am I really doing him a disservice by picking him up? I'm just not a fan of hearing a 3 mo old scream when I can do something about it...

Re: Fussing in crib

• Options
    I am not in that situation but I would do the same thing, I believe in solving baby problems when you can lol and giving lots of love. And I also believe that you can't "spoil" a baby. I only have one data point, but my friend that bed-shared, then went to get her son every night at 3am now has a 18 month old that sleeps through the night, so nothing she did impacted them in the long term. Good luck!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    jpagano113jpagano113 member
    edited April 2015
    I usually don't pick up my LO but what usually works for me might not work for you. I stroke her hair and go shhh and give her a pacifier at times. If I pick her up then most likely she won't go back to sleep
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, my pediatrician recommended we don't pick them up — IF they can be soothed by stroking, shhing, etc. She says around the six-month mark they start to "remember" how much they enjoy being picked up and if they wake up in the middle of the night, that's all they will want. She does say to do this within reason. Don't let them cry it out, but do see if there are other ways to soothe them before picking them up when they awake at night. So far, our LO has been OK with the stroking, shhing too.  
  • Options
    I let my baby fuss until he starts really crying, then I'll go in and put the pacifier in. I just found a new thing that works for us - I had heard people say to pat his bum, but since "back is best" and I can't exactly do that, I sort of put my hand around his little hip and pat lightly as to sort of bounce him in the crib a little (if that makes sense?). It takes him a minute still to settle, but as I shush and do this for him, it seems to really help. It's really hard sometimes not to cave and just pick him up because it's easier to soothe him that way, but I feel like I'm helping him feel comfy in his crib, which he can sleep better in.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My son has his 4 month appt today at the Mayo Clinic. Our doc recommended letting them fuss a few mins at first, then go calm them but don't pick up and don't stay longer than a minute. Then let them cry if that doesn't work for 10 min. If crying goes longer than 10, stay with them until they fall asleep. I might do more like 5 minutes but might try (after he's feeling better from shots!) currently we pick him up right away but something has gotta give since he just went from sleeping through night to waking up multiple times a night. Not sleeping more than 45ish mins. Grr
  • Options
    Same thing with our little miss, she's 4 months old and stopped sleeping through the night 2 months ago. I'm trying to get her used to sleeping in her bed again by laying her down there at nap time but so far no luck. As soon as she leaves my arms she wakes up and starts crying. I try shhing her and stroke her head or tummy but she cries hysterically when I leave the room. It's like separation anxiety, even with dad holding her, she searches for me and won't be comforted. I don't know what to do
  • Options
    I'm curious how you know if it's just waking from sleep or legit hungry? LO is 18 weeks

I want LO to sleep through the night but I feel like when he wakes at 2 am he is hungry. So I feed him and he goes right back to sleep. I'd live to skip the 2 am feeding.

He's on a schedule, bedtime 9 pm wakes at 2 am and 5 am for feeding up for day at 8 am.

Should I be trying to put him back to sleep at 2 without a feeding?