Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Newborn bedtime

Anyone have an actual bedtime for their newborn? Trying to decide how I'm going to establish a nighttime "routine" or at least as much as one can with a three week old.

Re: Newborn bedtime

• We started building a schedule when he was a few days old. By schedule I mean we took clues from him when he was ready to be put down for the night and then followed the same steps each night-bath (either in bathtub or sponge), baby lotion/massage, pjs, sleep sack, bottle, rocking and cuddling, and then when he was just about to sleep he would go into his bassinet.

After a few weeks, he basically made his own bedtime and now we know by 9:30 pm we need to start the steps. He is 11 weeks old and has slept through the night since he was 5 weeks old.

Good Luck and hopefully you will get some sleep soon!
  • 2Swanns2Swanns member
    edited April 2015
    Our 6 week old has basically made her bedtime of 10:30. I could tell she was in a deep sleep one night, put her down at 10:30 and she slept until 7am. So I kept doing it, and we've had good luck. I hope to inch it up bit by bit as we get a routine in order. Good luck to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • My son liked going to sleep around midnight. We developed a routine, and started it around 11:30. Every few days, we moved up the routine by 30 minutes until we had him going to bed around 7 or 8.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • you really just have to follow their lead at that point.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • To those who could actually set a "schedule", more power to you! I think routine is a better word though. We have our son on a routine of feeding every 3 hours during the day and every 4 at night. He's pretty good about his nighttime feedings being around 11PM, 230AM and 6AM for the late night/early morning feedings. But at this age, when they're hungry, they gotta eat!!!

• In the beginning we had no schedule, he thought 1am when daddy got home from work was play time. At 8wks or so he started going to bed by 930pm and would wake every 2-4hrs to feed and then start his day at 730am. I started doing the last feeding before bed in our room with the lights dimmed and that helps a ton! Good luck!
  • I know I'm late on a response but wanted to share that we started our routine at 7 to get her down at 8 but I started noticing that she was tired and always taking a "nap" around 6 or so. So now I start the routine around 5. She can sleep for about 4 or 5 hours that way much better than the 3 before. Although I think it really depends and is always changing cuz I think at the moment she is going through a growth spurt. But as long as the nighttime routine is there I think that helps. We will get into bed, breastfeed, read a couple of books, sometimes sing to her, then put her in the bassinet. Usually she's pretty good.
  • I like the comment on going into the bedroom for the last feeding and having it quiet and dim. My struggle is if my LO (4wks old) doesn't fall asleep from breast feeding, she won't just lay and snuggle. She gets agitated and eventually starts crying. Anyone have this issue or a recommendation on how to address?
  • jwallin27 said:

I like the comment on going into the bedroom for the last feeding and having it quiet and dim. My struggle is if my LO (4wks old) doesn't fall asleep from breast feeding, she won't just lay and snuggle. She gets agitated and eventually starts crying. Anyone have this issue or a recommendation on how to address?

Maybe she's not tired yet?