Infertility

4th round of Clomid, 1 failed IUI, prepping for 2nd IUI...

My husband and I did two rounds of Clomid without insemination with no success. Our first attempt at IUI with clomid was a failure as I got my AF on Saturday. I am now prepping for a 2nd attempt next week. I am finding it hard to stay positive. IUI is my husband and mine's only shot at TTC as IVF is way too expensive for us. I'm usually pretty positive but I am finding that I am having a hard time snapping out of it because I am having a hard time coming to grips with the "what if this doesn't work" part of this process. Has anyone been in my shoes? How do you stay positive?? How do you not find yourself constantly thinking about it?

Re: 4th round of Clomid, 1 failed IUI, prepping for 2nd IUI...

• Thank you for this. It is hard to focus on the good when you are trying so hard and then it doesn't work. Congratulations to you and your husband on your little one. I hope you are feeling well.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear ya! We've been trying for almost 2 years now, and just got a BFN from my second medicated cycle (Femara+Ovidrel+Prometrium), despite having responded amazingly well (two great follies, finally a good lining, etc). We have one or two more cycles before my RE does a hysterescopy to check what's wrong in there. And no clue what the plan would be afterwards.
    Luckily work has kept be very busy so I guess I bury my sorrows that way. We've discussed starting the adoption process if nothing worked by the end of 2015. I'm a child psychologist (talk about the irony here) and recently just started balling when I read a client's adoption summary.
    I was so bummed when I got by BFN yesterday that I was considering taking a break from it all. But my husband is being super positive and says there's no reason to give up now...it's hard because I can see how much he's itching for a baby and I feel like a complete failure not to be able to just give him one.
    Hang in there! Don't hesitate to reach out...
  • Thank you!! That's exactly how I feel...like a failure... Every time I get a BFN. My husband has been great too. He's been great at giving me the time to cry it out if I have too. I'm wishing you both luck in your journey as well.
  • Have you tried to apply for state aid ?!? Just a thought. It's something we have been considering. Best wishes.
  • Thank you WaitingMay14...I have not looked into state aid...although that did come up in conversation today amongst myself and a friend. I did undergo my 2nd IUI Monday... Here's to hoping!!
  • I wish you luck and come back with a great news this round! :)
  • I know how you feel Patricia. It's so hard to stay positive after continuing to try, only to see another BFN. DH and I have been trying for almost a year. Had my 2nd IUI yesterday, so the wait begins! I always start the 2WW feeling cautiously optimistic. Do you have a beta scheduled for next week? How are you feeling?
    Me (35) DH (29)
    TTC#1 since June 2014. 
    IUI #1: BFN
    IUI #2: ?
  • Stay positive, find people to chat with who understand. You are not alone in this adventure and trying time of trying to become a mommy. There are many of us out there, it may not be talked about but it is important to remember you are not alone! We did 6 months of Chlomid and have been through 2 IUI's, we have attempt number 3 in a month or so. Best wishes to you! 
  • Yeah we're out this cycle too. Got AF today ughhhh two days early how sweet. Starting clomid Tomm after I see the dr hoping for a good cycle. fx!!!!
  • WaitingMay: at least you can move onto the next cycle sooner than later. Good luck on this one!

Girlwithnoocean: Thanks for the positive words. I know I'm not alone, which is why its so nice to have these forums to meet other people that are experiencing the same things. It's hard to talk to family/friends who don't understand what you're going through. Plus all the added stress of them knowing makes every cycle that much harder when you have to break it to them that this cycle didn't work. Good luck with your 3rd attempt!
    Me (35) DH (29)
    TTC#1 since June 2014. 
  • My husband and I had been trying for over a year. He had no problems but I was told I had a immunity issue and a blood clotting issue. We did round after round of clomid cycles and attempted to do two iui cycles but each time it turned out I wasn't ovulating. My doctor had told me at some point if we weren't successful he'd perform a laparoscopy to look around and I finally got to the point where I said I'm finished with hormones, go in and look. I had my laparoscopy and he removed a moderate amount of endometriosis (which never showed up on any type of ultrasound). By February I was pregnant.

Infertility is miserable and the hormones are horrible. I wish you the best of luck
  • Wow, that's great that you were able to figure out the issue and got pregnant quickly after! Did you know that you weren't ovulating? Did you still get a positive OPK?
    Me (35) DH (29)
    TTC#1 since June 2014. 
  • Jjmtwedding - my doctor would check the size of my ovaries right before the iui and each time they were small enough for him to conclude nothing was happening in there that month. I had stopped even checking if I was ovulating I had given up. I pushed for the laparoscopy because I had always had brutal periods and was never regular and had a suspicion that there was endometriosis in there. I did the laparoscopy, gave my doctor a certain deadline in my head and had already made appts at a couple fertility clinics (both were so packed that there was a 4-5 month waiting period. At least we know we aren't alone in the struggle!). Turns out I was pregnant just before the deadline.
  • Hello ladies!! I've been so busy with work these last few days that I haven't had a chance to check in. The distraction has been a welcome one...especially since AF is cut to arrive tomorrow. Still keeping my fingers crossed. Knowing that I have the support in these online communities is a comfort. I am wishing all of you continued well wishes!! I'll keep you all posted!
  • AF arrived yesterday in full force. To say I am deflated and depressed is an understatement. Not to sure how I am going to proceed. Feeling very much like a failure right now. I think I am going to log off for a while. As much as knowing that there is support out there...I feel like right now I don't want to think or talk about it. I continue to wish all of you luck in the future with your journeys.
  • I'm sorry Patricia. I know exactly how you feel. Keep your head up and just remember that there's always next month. Wishing you the best of luck next cycle!
    Me (35) DH (29)
    TTC#1 since June 2014. 
  • Don't ever feel like a failure. You're absolutely not. All the best.
  • jen3417jen3417 member
    I am in the same boat as you. I am usually a very positive person but this is definitely very trying. We have been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half. I have done insemination and chlomid. Now they want to do the injections with insemination. I am so very nervous as if this doesn't work we can't afford ivf. I have always wanted to be a mom and I never would have imagined this is where I would be at 35 uggh. Hang in there. I wish you the best
  • Kye042Kye042 member
    I went through 4 rounds of clomid which were unsuccessful and a miscarriage. Then did IUI and was successful and now we're 37 weeks pregnant - we didn't even tell anyone for 4 months into pregnancy, incase we experienced loss again.

It is very hard to be positive all the time as it really is the only thing you can think about. But try to keep busy, always be thankful for good things that happen and just take things day by day.