November 2015 Moms
Options

Is it too late to get back on the bandwagon?

hey ladies, so I was wondering is it too late to start running again after taking three weeks off? I usually run about 5 to 8 miles every other day and as soon as I found out I was pregnant I quit altogether. When I was running I was also playing rugby and practicing twice a week.what I want to know is what it be bad to run today after not running at all for three weeks, I probably will only run about 3 1/2 miles and practice a little at rugby no contact of course LOL. Do you think that this is a bad idea?

Re: Is it too late to get back on the bandwagon?

• Options
    I would definitely check with your dr, but in my opinion, I would start off jogging or doing slow interval training. Check to make sure your heart rate and breathing are under control and STOP right away if you have new or unexpected pains.
  • Options
    Since your body is already conditioned it should be ok. But don't start off at 5 miles. Do 2miles Of a walk/run off and on until you build back up to 5 miles. If you start to cramp then you will have to pay off the high intensity and stick with low impact like swimming or elliptical
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ran all three of my pregnancies and am still running in this one too. I say go for it. My OB said it was fine as long as you were running before the pregnancy. Listen to your body though. The bigger I got the more my run went down to a jog.
  • Options
    You guys thank you so much for your feed back, here's a follow up. I took all of your advice and tried to take it easy and so short distance, TRIED X_X , I got lost in the moment and did 5 :-SS did well no pain, besides the achy calves and quads. My heart rate went a little high, so I went to the doctors to make sure. I'm okay and baby is healthy. I want to update incase any other mamas are in the same situation.
  • Options
    @AlanaSchaff -our prop played until 5 months along. Not normally recommended by her OB, but OB was the hooker. Just throwing that in (see what I did there?) lol