Secondary IF
Options

Back to back or breaks?

I'm curious if anyone has a preference (and why) on treatment cycles in a row, or do you feel it's better to break between each one?

I have not done med treatment in consecutive cycles and I am considering not breaking between the next two. (Always hoping I don't make it to that 4th and last IUI, but I can't help to plan ahead for $ and summery reasons) Any pros or cons to jumping right back in after a failed cycle?

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

Re: Back to back or breaks?

• Options
    Hi @Kelley421! I am doing three back-to-back cycles. But I will say that "back-to-back" has about 6 to 7 weeks in between. My RE office does about 7 IVF cycles per year, so it's not like I'm going literally three months in a row. My three cycles will have started in very late January and go through the first week of June. 

I am doing back-to-back because of egg quality issues and the fact that I'm only getting older. My first IVF cycle was a total bust (see sig), but #2 was better. I hope for an even better result for #3. My RE is building knowledge about how my body responds over each cycle and we're working to batch quality blasts for PGD/AS testing after the 3rd cycle.

I hope this helps and that your last IUI results in a beautiful DS or DD. GL! 

Me: 35 DOR - AMH 1.1 FSH 5.6

DH: 39

09/01/10 - First pregnancy - my sweet son was born 

04/25/14 - Miscarriage at 9 weeks - Turner Syndrome 

08/01/14 - Miscarriage at 8 weeks - Trisomy 9 

October 2014 - Unsuccessful IUI 

November 2014 - IUI month skipped due to cyst 

December 2014 - Unsuccessful IUI 

January/February 2015 - Failed IVF (standard long protocol) - 7 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized (ICSI), 0 made it to blast, 0 for testing 

March/April 2015 - Microflare IVF protocol with HGH - 6 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 2 blasts for biopsy! 

May/June 2015 - Microflare IVF protocol with HGH - 9 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 blasts for biopsy!

06/18/15 -  Two healthy embies based on PGS testing by Natera!

June/July 2015 - FET cycle with estradiol & PIO shots, a Neupogen treatment, and accupuncture

07/08/2015 - Transferred one lovely embie 

07/17/2015 - Beta #1 136

07/20/2015 - Beta #2 529 -- BFP!!!

• Options
    I always did IUI back to back, and am doing my 2nd IVF as soon as I could after my first IVF miscarried.  For some reason I didn't respond well to stims, and the eggs we did get weren't good.  So I wanted to get going before they get any more messed up in there.  

I think there can be benefits to letting your body rest after cycling, but It is soooo hard to wait.  :/

June 19, 2010 - Miracle Baby Girl

Round 2
    Since March 2013
    BFP April 2013 - Missed M/C July 2013 @ 12w6d
    BFP December 2013 - CP @ 4w3d
    Eight medicated cycles, three IUIs: FAIL
    IVF #1 Antagonist - January 2015: CP/FAIL

IVF #2 April 2015: Microdose lupron Flare
    ICSI, CCS Freeze all
    6 blasts biopsied/5 normal

FET #1 June 25, 2015 6AA and 5AA blast transfer
    BFP 3dp5dt!
    Beta 8dp5dt 195.2, 10dp5dt 474.8, 12dp5dt 977, 22dp5dt 25,580
    <3 Twins! Our boy and girl coming end of February!  <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't been able to do btb since I had a cp and then had side effects of clomid and the doctor wanted to meet with me before moving to femera. 

BUT I had been planning and would have loved to move through these treatments more quickly.  Ideally I'd end treatment because of a good pregnancy, but if it's not going to work out I would like to move on for emotional reasons.  My doctor didn't see drawbacks to btb so I am still on board for that if I can ever make that happen :).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

Year 3 - unexplained diagnosis & 4 failed IUIs with Clomid/Letrozole

Year 4 - still unexplained & 3 failed IUIs with Follistim & Ovidral

Year 5 - trying on our own

• Options
    I did 3 IUIs and one IVF back to back, although I did sit out a month with cysts.  After having an early miscarriage with IUI #3, and a BFN with the IVF, though, I just really, really needed a break from needles and monitoring and thinking about my uterus all the time, so I took two months off before IVF #2.  I just turned 41, so time is really ticking in my case, but my baseline FSH and follicle count actually improved after the time off, and the cycle seems to be going well so far (I'll know more after I get my fert report today).  Good luck with whatever you decide!
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    Reagan1010Reagan1010 member
    edited April 2015
    So far I have had 2 IUIs, IVF and I just am starting a FET cycle. They have all been back to back. My IVF and FET cycle all start with 3 weeks of active bc, so it does add time in there. If this FET doesn't work, we will be taking a break. DH and I both need a mental and physical break from it.
  • Options

Thanks for the responses!

I think I'll plan for the back to back- if #3 fails. My RE says he generally moves on after 4 failed IUIs. We are not planning IVF, so the 4th would be our last treatment.  It is (I know you all know, most better than I do) so wearing to continue TTC, and plan financially, and have such high hopes that just get crushed. I would like to do these next 1-2, and if they fail, perhaps I can move on with life instead of being stuck in this infertility hell.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    I did about 700 consecutive Clomid/ TI  cycles, I took breaks between IUIs and IVFs 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I did 6 cycles of meds or meds with IUIs back to back, but did take a break after #5 due to a 50mm cyst on my right ovary.
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5