October 2015 Moms

horrible heartburn!! any remedies?!?!?

Im 14+3 and have the worstttt heartburn ever. Ive never had this before and im not sure what i can do to ease it off :( any tips from you ladies will be much appriciated xxx

Re: horrible heartburn!! any remedies?!?!?

• I drink milk and it goes away. Have you tried that?
  • You can try apply cider vinegar they say a tea spoon can neutralize the acid, also mango in any way or shape but ripe what worked best for me was dried ripe mango in the morning I'd make a mango spinach coconut water and a small slice of ginger smoothy !!! It saved my life!!! My DH bought me smtn called the Amish secret for heartburn I only used it 1 time because it was going away n it helped mb it would work amazon has it. Fresh lemon water also helped sleepingf with your head over your shoulders meaning putting pillows under you to keep your head elevated and the always helpful dont laydwn for about 2hrs after a meal

• Loading the player...
  • I had terrible heartburn with my first. I started with Tums, but when they stopped working, I moved onto Zantac. My initial dose was 75mg, then moved up to 150mg when that stopped working later in pregnancy. It was the worst! Unsure if the old wives tale about heartburn and hair is always true, but I had a little girl born with a full head of hair!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cold milk helps me always for heartburn.
  • neseenesee member
    Thanks ladies! The milk helps me for 2-3mins :( ive tried the cider vinegar and water mixture earlier on but still no help:( feels like ive got a horrible lump stuck in my throat now
  • Talk to your doctor. Mine already told me what she'd move me through as it got worse (which it has). I'm on tums right now but will probably be moved to Zantac. Try and figure out if there is a trigger food. Tomatoes are one for me.
  • I have had horrible acid reflux that was keeping me up at night. My Dr told me to take prilosec in the morning and zantac before bed. I would talk to your Dr!
  • My doctor suggested Mylanta and it really helps.
  • Dito @amorrison624 tomatoes peppers black pepper too oranges peaches pineapples all trigger me and certain seasonings like cumin even fruit punch kills me !! O my so many things !!!!

• I take a heartburn prescription, Protonix, so that keeps it at bay most of the time, but when it does flare up, I find that sitting straight up (reclining makes it worse) and chewing peppermint gum for like 20 minutes makes it feel sooo much better. Both peppermint and chewing gum are listed as remedies, so I just combined the two :)
  • Papaya enzyme and pineapple enzyme. I take it in pill form daily and swear by it.
  • cnorth82cnorth82 member
    edited April 2015
    I had terrible acid reflux before pregnancy and terrible heartburn/reflux from week 4-8.

I used to be on Prilosec or Nexium daily before pregnancy, but you get dependent on it. If I forgot to take one or was out, then my heartburn/reflux returned with a vengeance and was even worse than 'normal'.

Here is my cure (works every time):

1 shot (literally a shot glass worth -- 1-2 oz.) of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother
    (Make sure it has the mother! They also sell one without)

Diluted with 2-3x water (room temp).

Chug it like there's no tomorrow and hold your breath before you start drinking because it doesn't taste great. But, it instantly fixes the problem.

Some people use too much water, which can reduce the effectiveness of the remedy. Definitely do NOT try drinking it straight--it will burn your throat.

Also, I know there is literature out there that discourages Apple cider vinegar with the mother because it's not pasteurized...but truly...its vinegar. It's a naturally acidic killing machine. And I am totally fine.

THAT BEING SAID, I wouldn't use any other brand than Braggs. I trust them.
  • A handful of almonds always works for me. Drinking pickle juice also works but I can't get it down.
  • My doctor recommended the Kirkland (Costco) version of Pepcid. I take it twice a day. When I need a little extra help I take Tums but they cause constipation so be ware. I am interested in the enzymes mentioned above.
  • I take tums, otherwise my doctor told me to take Zantac or a generic acid reducer that has ranitidine in it.
  • I had horrible heartburn with DD and like @aah1013 mentioned, that old wives tale about babies with hair causing acid reflux rang true for me (but we all know those odds). My heartburn was the worst in the second and third trimester with her, but it has already started now. I use Tums sparingly, and I try to be very mindful about how my intake affects my reflux and heartburn. I've already had to cut down on artificial preservatives in foods, I eat earlier in the evening and not close to bed, and I mind the acidic foods that trigger it. A little research can help with this, too! My heartburn was so bad with DD that I vomited in between every push during delivery...I don't wish that on anyone! I wish someone had warned me about that one... Near the end, I know Zantac helps. I will probably look into how to control it better near delivery to see if we can even remotely avoid the misery that was my experience with DD (you know, because delivery is otherwise so pleasant ;) ). I hope it gets better for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LimieLimie member
    Tums...I like the berry kind. Zantac works great but my Dr told me to only take it if the Tums weren't working. Laying on your left side also helps. And aloe Vera juice kept in the fridge works wonders too and taste way better than vinegar! Lol
  • Prilosec is what I take but I had reflux pre pregnancy so I've been in it since the beginning! Zantac and prilosec are both category b!
  • Eat almonds or almond milk!

• I recently discovered that small portions of ice cream really help mine. Pretty awesome remedy if I must say so myself. ;)
    Anniversary
  • Last night I was struggling with heartburn, so I ate some pickles. That usually helps me.