November 2014 Moms
Options

Homemade Baby food

Has anyone tried making baby food yet?  Any suggestions or tips?  LO is 5 months and just started cereal.  I am prepping for when it is time to move to food and there seems to be a million products for making baby food. Any moms out there who are making baby food and like what they are using?

Thanks!

Re: Homemade Baby food

• Options
    Try Pinterest for ideas and recipes!
  • Options
    Have just gone from rice cereal to sweet potato. My soon to be 5 month old is loving the sweet potato! I just baked a whole sweet potato on 400F for an hour & scooped out the insides. I blended it & did 1 tablespoon sweet potato and about 3 tablespoons formula to start. I'm using the baby bullet to blend & store the purées- so easy. We're moving onto squash & banana next!
    My doctor suggested started with yellow veggies/fruit as they are sweeter and babies tend to take to them better than green veggies at first.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @torontokim do you like your baby bullet? 
  • Options
    Homemade baby food is very simple. You just have to boil or steam and then blend with either the water used to steam or breastmilk. There are lots of videos on YouTube. I use the nutribullet and put the food in ice cube trays then to ziplock bags.
  • Options
    My baby just turned 5 months and want to start giving her food - was thinking avocado. Anyone try that?
  • Options
    @erincstefanski I am planning on trying avocado and banana first as those do not have to be cooked. 
  • Options
    I just started making my own baby food this past weekend. Had some organic peas on hand so just decided to play around with it. LO isn't quite ready for it apparently, as it was too gritty. I used the magic bullet (maker of the baby bullet) and it works well. I stored extras in little half oz tupperware containers that I already have at home. Been trying to avoid buying too many baby specific items. I'm excited to let her try sweet potatos and bananas. Avocado is probably another good one to start with. Just not peas, lol. 
    DH & Me 33 ~ Married 2013 ~ DD 2014 ~ EDD 8/24/19
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of the baby bullet. I find I have to keep opening the lid & stirring the food because it doesn't do a good job of blending. I'm probably going to use a regular food processor going forward. As for what my little guy likes---avocado is a big hit! Everything else has been a bit of a struggle, including banana surprisingly.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker