December 2014 Moms

Does Your Baby Know Their Name?

I've been reading Wonder Weeks and it seems between four and five months babies start responding to their names. Our LO responds more to our tone than a specific name. Have you any of you reached the point where your baby knows his/her name? The best way I can think of to teach them their name is to use it often when talking to them. 

Re: Does Your Baby Know Their Name?

• yep, she looks at us anytime we call her name

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• My two year old will respond to you by any name. Nursery workers called him "Jack" one week because my DH forgot to tell then his name! (We were new.) I agree that it is more the tone than the actually name. Try using a flat tone vs singsong tone. I know I tend to be more singsongy with my baby. Even when I try not to.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure mine does!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Yes my LO looks around then makes eye contact. When ever she hears he name
  • DS does sometimes. Still working on that.
  • Mine must be behind. He's 19 weeks and has no clue :(
  • weer456weer456 member
    My daughter responds to both her name and her nickname, regardless of the tone that's used. And I think it's because I've gotten into the habit of using her name in practically every sentence I say to her--I did/do A LOT of talking to/with her. Now I don't think she can associate my DH as "Daddy" or me as "Mommy" but she definitely has been responding to "her" name for almost 2 months.
  • Not a clue here. He's 21 weeks and responds to my voice...doesn't matter what I say! Maybe I need to start using his name more when I speak to him
  • yes, the more you call them by their name, the faster they catch on :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers