Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Recommended Testing after multiple MC?

I've been lurking the boards on here for a few days now and haven't found an answer to this question, so I thought I'd throw it out there.  Little bit of background info first: 

I suffered my 1st MC back in December and then got a BFP back in February.  Went for a 6 wk US and everything looked "fine" according to my OBGYN.  Went for my nurses visit at 8 weeks for family history and blood draw.  They didn't test my HCG levels or Progesterone but apparently everything they tested for was ok.  Went for 10 week appt with OBGYN on Friday.  Had a doppler done and couldn't find a heartbeat.  She said that wasn't unusual at only 10 weeks and I also have a tilted uterus, making it difficult.  Decided to do a US instead.  After fiddling with the machine for 5 minutes she questioned me about how far along I actually was.  She said that the gestational sac looked normal but the yolk and fetal pole didn't look much different than it did on my 6 wk US.  She sent me away and told me to come back in 1 week for a follow-up US but things didn't look good.  I haven't had any spotting or cramping like I did with my first MC.  I'm not in denial or really too optimistic.  However, I have decided to get a second opinion because I felt like she really didn't care and she rushed me through my appointments.  What is the point of designating women with a high risk pregnancy if you aren't going to do anything different than you would for a normal pregnancy?  

Anyway, I know the "rule" is usually that they won't start doing testing until after 3 MC, but that's ridiculous.  I am not going through this blindly 1 more time just so that I can qualify for additional testing.  I am just wondering what sort of tests they can do to find a culprit for reoccurring MC? I definitely want to have my Progesterone levels checked because I have thought for a long time that I suffer from most of the symptoms of low levels.

Any advice or experience is much appreciated!!!
Me: 26 DH: 33
Married: 6/14/14
TTC immediately
BFP: 11/19/14 MC:12/3/14
BFP:  2/27/15 Blighted Ovum: 4/10/15, D&C 4/13/15- Trisomy16
BFP: 12/29/15 EDD: 9/15/16!!  Please be our miracle baby!

Re: Recommended Testing after multiple MC?

• Hi, I know you posted this a while ago, but I actually have the same question. I had two early miscarriages. Then my third pregnancy stuck, and I had a healthy boy in December 2012. I had a third early miscarriage in January 2015 and I'm having a fourth miscarriage now.

My OB says this is just what my body does, and I shouldn't worry because we know I can have a healthy pregnancy. However, I want testing done to avoid a fifth miscarriage. I've been Googling trying to research what testing I should request. It seems like I should have my thyroid tested and progesterone levels tested. Should I also request my husband and I have genetic testing done? Or is that not necessary cause we made a healthy kid?
    Are there any other tests I should request?

Thank you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi, I've been diagnosed with habitual abortion or recurring misscarriage after 3 losses. I had one very early misscarriage at 5 weeks in Aug. 2014, then I had a missed misscarriage discovered at almost 16 weeks (my angel only measured 9 weeks) in Dec.2014 and another missed misscarriage in March this year (found out at 9 weeks). Luckily I do already have a son (2,5 years old), and he has been my sunshine through it all.

I'm not done with all my examinations yet,but so far everything looks good and all tests have been fine. Even if you get tested there is at least 50% chance that they will not find any reasons for the recurring pregnancy losses, so be prepared for that. Also the risk for having three losses at a row is quite low if you decide to ttc again. If you do get tested they will start with asking you about your misscarriage (how many weeks, where you hospitalised and so on) and if you have carried to full term and got children(and is it the same father), others in your family with same problems and background info like that. Depending on your medical history and background info different test may be decided on (some test they'll always do). I got tested for thyroid, antiphospholipid antibodies, inheried thrombophilias (I think, regarding increased blood clotting) and some more that I don't remember at the moment. I suggest speaking with your OB about which tests you'll need. Some of the tests need to be done after all hcg has left your body so first you wait for testing that. When hcg levels are back to 0 you'll get a date for new bloodtest to be done. And usually there will be an anatomical examination often with ultra sound to check your uterus for any "flaws" too. Good luck to both of you!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Synnovus thank you for this. I have a very similar story and will be looking for an RE shortly. I had an early miscarriage in Feb 15 and had a D&C last Weds for an mmc. I should have been almost 10 weeks but baby measured a few weeks less and no heart beat after seeing it at 6 weeks.

My doctor wants to see me next week for a follow up and HCG test and will refer us to an RE. Thankfully my 2.5 is the only true happiness I am experiencing right now. I am ready to move on and I'm not questioning why me but I'm hoping for answers.

Good luck to all of you ladies.
  • @Synnovus Thank you for your detailed response! That helps. I'm going to request an appointment with my OB to discuss these tests. Btw, I'm married to the same husband, and we haven't had any recent health changes. Thanks again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi again, I just want to add that I also tested my glucose(diabetes) as well. I've gotten all my result back and they're fine. Us showed nothing wrong with my uterus or ovaries. I'm cleared for ttc again so fingers crossed and wish all you girls good luck!