November 2014 Moms
Options

How did you cope with going back to work?

I actually have not worked in over a year. I quit my job in January of last year and found out I was pregnant in May. Twins! We said the whole time that I could be a SAHM and that's basically what has kept me going. I have amazing identical twin girls who were born on November 30th, and now at just a little over four months old, my fiancé and I have decided that getting a job would benefit us so much. We are living paycheck to paycheck right now and struggling so much. In February we moved out of town to be closer to his job so that he would be able to spend more time with the girls, but the rent here is almost double what we are used to paying and it has really hurt us with money. I just got hired this morning with a little part time job working 9am-3pm some week days and on Saturdays. He will have the girls while I work, and then once I come home, I will have them and he will get to sleep for a couple of hours and then go to work from 5pm-5am. I have seriously cried so hard every time I have thought about leaving my girls to go to work, and I'm not even sure now that I really have a job that I'm ready to leave them, even though I know that for us to make it, I have to. I keep telling myself that it's for the girls and it for our family, that we will be happier and we will get to go places and do things, and even spoil the girls a little and not have to worry. I think my main concern is that I haven't ever left them yet, and that I feel like I am going to miss out if they do things for the first time while I am working. How did you cope and deal with going back to work after your first baby?

Re: How did you cope with going back to work?

• Options
    The first week was hard but I am actually glad to be back to work. Staying home was way harder. I leave the boys with family and get pictures sent as well as pictures on my phone and work computer. I also spend time snuggling the boys before work when they are at their happiest.

I am not worrying about the milestones too much. Even if my first time watching is not their first time doing, it is still amazing. Since it is your fiancé caring for the girls it will be a great opportunity for him to experience and connect with the girls.
  • Options
    You are so fortunate that you'll be working part time! I work full time but only part time outside of my home and I think it's a wonderful arrangement. I get lots of time to see my baby and then I get to be a working adult. I wouldn't see your situation as negative -- you may just need an attitude adjustment
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your post actually made me feel like crying because I understand how you feel. Going back to work was so hard for me not just because I missed my LO but because I was actually going back to a promotion which meant more money but also meant more hours. I would be a SAHM if I could and I sometimes feel resentment that so many of my friends are able to SAH or work from home at least part-time. At the same time I know how difficult and isolating SAH with her on my own was. Now with me working we're able to buy a house so she can have her own room and a backyard and I can save for college and go on family vacations etc. Thankfully my mom is retired and is home with my LO while DH and I are at work. She's great about sending me pictures and videos during the day so I don't feel like I'm missing out too much anymore. Plus we're saving a ton not paying for childcare ☺️
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

kolaczka said. And I also have pictures of my LO on my cubicle wall, work monitor, and phone.

:D
    DH & Me 33 ~ Married 2013 ~ DD 2014 ~ EDD 8/24/19
  • Options
    pchungpchung member
    Lots of pictures and videos.  AND lots of cuddles when you do get home!