December 2014 Moms

Baby scratching himself

My 13 week old will scratch himself crazy if I let him sleep without a sleep gown that has pull over mittens...I have so many cute footed pjs with normal sleeves but am terrified. I trim his nails (weekly..as best and as short as I can...) and he gouges himself on his beautiful little face...has anyone else experienced this? will he grow out of it? We just dropped the nighttime swaddle 2 weeks ago...

Re: Baby scratching himself

• My baby does this too - they make baby nail files - I've been spot checking during diaper changes and then being a little more thorough before naps - hope that helps!!!
  • I have to trim my LO's nails at least twice a week. He has discovered he like his hands in his mouth and scratches himself constantly. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Tichrist said:

My 13 week old will scratch himself crazy if I let him sleep without a sleep gown that has pull over mittens...I have so many cute footed pjs with normal sleeves but am terrified. I trim his nails (weekly..as best and as short as I can...) and he gouges himself on his beautiful little face...has anyone else experienced this? will he grow out of it? We just dropped the nighttime swaddle 2 weeks ago...

Have you tried socks on his hands at night?

Test
  • pjswifepjswife member
    edited April 2015
    Mine is doing this SO badly.  I am ready to start putting socks on his hands all day, and I clip his nails multiple times a week!  He's way too big for any sleep gowns with pullover mittens.  He also tends to get cradle cap and scratches that, and it just looks awful :(
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Baby mittens?
    *********************************************BIG SIG************************************************
    FTM PgAL  IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 17 week old does this ALL THE TIME! We trim his nails every 2-3 days but it's like once a week there are new scratches on his nose (his favourite thing to grab). We've tried scratch mittens but he just ends up removing them in his sleep. Swaddling has never helped as he absolutely hates his arms bring restrained and will wriggle and wriggle until he gets them free. Needless to say, we use A LOT of Polysporin.