May 2015 Moms
Options

Vaginal Delivery After Leep

Hi ladies!

I had a LEEP about 14 months ago and am now 34 weeks pregnant with my first baby. My doc has never made a big deal about the fact that I had the LEEP but I've been poking around online and came across a variety of complications as well as advice to start using Evening Primrose Oil starting around wk 36 to start softening the scar tissue. Has anybody delivered vaginally after a LEEP? Did you use the EPO? What was your experience?

Re: Vaginal Delivery After Leep

• Options
    My advice is all personal experience, but I delivered my first vaginally after previously having a LEEP. I had absolutely no issue with delivery. My doctor was more concerned about cervical length during the pregnancy (which also ended up not being an issue). I was told that the worst delivery case is that your cervix will thin out, but not dialate because of scar tissue and that the doctor will break it for you. That doesn't sound pleasant, but my doctor said that it wasn't a big deal.

Your doctor knows what your cervix looks like and, assuming you're in the same practice, has records of exactly how extensive the LEEP was - if he/she isn't worried about your delivery, I wouldn't be either. Definitely discuss your concerns with yor doctor during your next appt.
  • Options
    catrudkincatrudkin member
    edited March 2015
    I had a leep before havin children, with my first I only dialated to 4cm because of scar tissue. My doc stretched me the rest of the way. It felt like a bad period cramp but only took a second to do. Other than that the whole pregnancy and delivery went really good
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can always ask about a Foley catheter with traction to assist in dilation. I had 3 LEEPS before my baby and I did not dilate at all. I went to 42 weeks. They used the foley catheter As I wanted an all natural birth (no medicine) and I dilated and had the baby within 12 hours! No complications!
  • Options
    Your situation sounds exactly like mine! I'm 33 weeks 3days and had a leep about 10 months ago. I've had a few complications with pregnancy but nothing too serious. I'm worried I wont dilate as well....
  • Options
    Also I've heard great things about the EPO. So i've been taking it for a few wees.
  • Options
    I had a LEEP and my doctor never made a mention of it. But then at 38 weeks pregnant I asked to get my membranes stripped and the doctor tried but couldn't really bc I had so much scar tissue she didn't know was there from my previous LEEP. At 39 weeks she tried again to strip my membranes, but she was mostly just breaking up scar tissue. Later that night, my water broke. In labor, I stalled at 5cms. They wanted to give pitocin but I requested stripping membranes once more. An hour after that, i had gone from a 5 to a 9. 

It was never concerning or scary or a problem, just something that is and we're aware of. If I notice my labor stall this time around, I'll request membrane stripping/breaking up the scar tissue.

My LEEP was done 3 years before I got pregnant. Since yours was sooner, I'd GUESS you'd have less than I did. But I'm no medical professional. 
  • Options
    I got pregnant with my 2nd 4 months after having LEEP... Had zero complications & had him natural with a midwife. All they did was constantly check cervical length (especially in the beginning).. Other than that the doctor & midwife acted like it was no big deal. I did not do EPO but did drink lots of red raspberry tea. I dilated and progressed just fine & had him in 12 hours.. Was worried about the same things you are but they all ended up being non-issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"