1st Trimester

miscarriage questions.

i am 11 weeks pregnant and this is my first pregnancy. i have lots of questions but my main one is miscarriage. can they happen randomly? or does something have to go wrong in the pregnancy? 

Re: miscarriage questions.

• A Google search will give you a lot of information on this. The main cause is a chromosomal issue, so technically yes something had gone wrong but you may not have an awareness that there is an issue, if that's what your question is asking.
  • They happen because something is wrong, usually a chromosomal issue like PP said. They don't just happen for no reason at all. Miscarriages are quite common, they happen in 25% of pregnancies. You can't stop one from happening so there's no point in stressing about it too much. It sucks but it happens. Having a miscarriage isn't indicative of your ability to carry babies to term and it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with you. Read some pregnancy books because they will answer most of your questions and don't focus on the negative for no reason.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just like all the other ladies said there is always a reason but usually a reason we don't know unless we have testing done. And they usually don't do tests unless you've had at least 1 or 2 miscarriages before.
  • I have low progesterone, so in addition to trouble getting pregnant in the first place because of a very short LP, I've had a lot of chemicals and really early miscarriages. After the fifth, I stopped taking pregnancy tests until I missed the second period because I just didn't want to deal with the emotional roller coaster. A couple years ago I made it to 11 weeks and 2 days before miscarrying. That was different, and likely a genetic issue and in no way similar to the priors which were all in the 4-7 week range. As awful as it was, it did say that as I'd aged my hormone levels have changed and I was at least able to carry past the 8 week mark. Now I am 11 weeks 2 days again, but I can tell this time is different. I had been spotting off and on for about a week before my miscarriage last time, this time no such issues. I also stopped having pregnancy symptoms last time and this time everything is just normal. You're 11 weeks, so you're pretty close to what most consider the safe zone and if you've heard a heartbeat at a doctor's visit you're really already in the safe zone. If you are noticing things, specific things that make you concerned like spotting or bleeding, then it's worth talking to your doctor about it in case it's a treatable hormone issue, but if everything's pretty normal with you, try to relax and put it out of your mind. There really isn't much they can do about early miscarriages since, barring those caused by hormone issues (and there are plenty of times when treatment fails in those cases as well), most are caused by genetic issues and the embryo isn't viable to begin with. I know it's hard, but take it from someone who's been there many, many times - it really isn't worth worrying about. Try to focus on the positive things and if it really starts eating at you distract yourself with work or a hobby - whatever works for you to get rid of distressing thoughts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"