High-Risk Pregnancy

no amniotic fluid at 17 weeks

I had a routine appointment with my high risk doctor because I'm pregnant with twins. He said I have no amniotic fluid and basically told me I need to terminate this pregnancy. I am devastated and don't know what to do. Both babies are growing and have great heartbeats. He said my membranes could've ruptured at some point or it could be a problem with the placentas. I just don't know what to do but may call about a second opinion today. Has anyone else been through this? I really don't want to lose this pregnancy especially after taking so long to get pregnant and going through tons of fertility treatments.

Re: no amniotic fluid at 17 weeks

• Ohhhh i have know experience what so ever with this. Just want to say im so very sorry it sounds just sooo sad to have that put upon you. But if you have any doubt please seek another opinion praying for a miracle xx
  • I had no amniotic fluid at 26 weeks because of the medicine I was taking i was able to replenish it in two weeks but my nurses and maternal fetal doctors(I'm in the hospital and have been for a month and will be till I deliver) told me that they have had several patients with no amniotic fluid carry for a couple months you just need either an IV to keep fluids on them or drinks a gallon of water a day. I WOULD find another doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am currently 25wks and haven't had amniotic fluid since I was 15 wks, I was advised to terminate @ 19wks but didn't go through with it (didn't want the "what if question haunting me) there are other complication that go along with it but my baby still has a great heartbeat and is still growing in track... In the end it's up to you best of luck <3
  • I hope you get the help you need and everything goes in a positive way for you, I've been seeing a MFM this whole pregnancy and felt more comfort because this is my 3rd pregnancy and I am determined to get the care needed to have a baby. I was always told girls are better when it comes to having a risky pregnancy because they mature faster and the risks become lower then if with a boy. I'd say as long as your new doctor is making you feel more comfortable and willing to do what it takes to help you get as close to term as possible keep with her. I was put on complete bed rest as well, don't know of you've been on it before but gotta make sure you have stuff to do or you'll go crazy lol I am only supposed to be out of bed for restroom needs and Doctor appts. I really hope the best for you.
  • Keep the faith and know u are doing everything possible our thoughts and prayers are with u
  • Im glad to hear it @mshutack thats great news. Bed rest sucks but has kept little man in since being dilated at 25 weeks to now 30 weeks yesterday. I also had to have my appendix removed at 22 weeks and honestly through everything i have learned that even with the lowest chance you can do it. 
  • I started bleeding again on Thursday and went to the doctor Friday. They sent me to the hospital where they did an amnisure test to determine if it was amniotic fluid. It came back positive. The doctor there was very rude and he wanted me to take oral cytotec to induce labor. I just couldn't do it. Seeing they both were still growing and have great heartbeats. I like a lot of other people didn't want the "what if" always on my mind. When I told him I just wanted to go home he said go home and eat some chili dogs and drink some beer. I could've slapped him. That was so rude of him. My high risk doc called that night after I told her what all happened she said there is no reason to have to make a decision like that at this point. She said both babies look fine and I don't have an infection so there's no need to do anything right now.
  • I have been thinking and praying for you. For now lets keep the faith while they are growing. And if and when you need to cross other bridges then do so. But for now stay calm and try and rest. I cant believe how rude that doctor was :(. You are an amazing woman staying true to your babies and not rushing anything. I truely hope and pray that there is an amazing outcome xx
  • Sorry dont no why that little clapping man popped up through my message.
  • Sorry for your struggles. Do what your heart says, so that you never wonder "what if". My sister had twins and miscarried just one. They told her to terminate the other and she told them to screw off, got another opinion and went on to have a healthy baby. Follow your gut and you'll always know you did what was right for you. 

Crossing my fingers that the bed rest and fluids do it!!
  • Thank you all for your prayers. Sadly I delivered my twins on May 8th. They are now beautiful angels. At least I can say my husband and I tried everything possible for those precious babies. They were absolutely beautiful
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers go out to you both!
  • I'm so sorry to see this update. Sorry for your loss.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry.