Baby Names

Middle Name for Kate

I think my husband and I have agreed on the name Kate for our baby girl but we are struggling with a middle name. The full first name will be Kate, not using it as a nickname for Catherine. Our son has my husband's middle name and we had thought about using my middle name, Lee, as the middle name for this child. I feel like Kate Lee doesn't sound that great together though because they are both such short names and it almost flows together like one name when you say it, like "Kately" or something. I feel like we could still use it since it's not like you say your middle name that often anyway, but I don't want to use it if it sounds ridiculous with the first name. Please let me know your opinion!

The only other options I have come up with so far is LeeAnn since it would still be close to my middle name or Lillian, which was my Grandma's name. I want to use a name with some family significance instead of just picking a random name that happens to sound good with Kate.

Thanks!

Re: Middle Name for Kate

• My husband and I have also decided on Kate, and I've had the same struggle. I'm not opposed, however, to using Kathryn and calling her Kate for short. I happen to really like "Kately Ann," which would incorporate Kate, Lee, and Lillian. Have you considered using Kate as a middle name but still calling her Kate? I ask because I also think Lillian Kate is very pretty.
  • We are pretty set on Kate as a first name. One of my criteria is that whatever we are going to call her will be what her first name is. I just feel like it makes it more confusing when you use a shortened version of their first name or call them by their middle name. I think it's fine when other people do it, it's just a personal preference for me. Thanks for the ideas though! Our son's name was such an easy decision and we're just struggling a little more with the middle name for this baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • What about your first name as mn for baby? Does that flow?

What about a name that starts with L.

Kate Louise
    Kate Lilith
    Kate Lynette
    Kate Lynley
    Kate Leonie
    Kate Lucia
    Kate Laura/Laurel/Lauren
    Kate Lavinia

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I love Kate as a full name! I had Kate Josephine on my list (Josephine after my husbands grandmother). I think pairing Kate with a longer middle name sounds nice. I like Kate LeeAnn!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Kate Leanna. Lillian. Ashley. Carly. Lilly. Lela.
  • I think Kate Leann or Kate Lillian works. It needs a longer mn. I never like 2 1-syllable names together. Sounds choppy.
  • edited March 2015
    Yeah, you're going to get that when you use Kate as a full first name.
    Do your daughter the service of giving her full fn and let her decide on her nickname. I'm a katherine Elizabeth and have always loved it

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Kate Elizabeth
    Kate Amelia
    Kate Angelica
    Kate Sophia
    Kate Leeanna
    Kate Daphane
    Kate Aurora
    Kate Summer

I love Kate as a first name, anyone who tells you otherwise really needs to relax themselves.
  • I am not a fan of diminutives as full names. Katherine is a lovely name, and your daughter can decide for herself if she wants to be called Kate professionally or not, whearas if you just name her Kate she does not have that option. 

If you insist on using just Kate, I would go with a long, substantial middle name to help balance it out.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Kate Lilliana is pretty imo

Kate Elizabeth
    Kate Amelia
    Kate Abigail
    Kate Josephine
    Kate Madeleine
    Kate Eloise
    Kate Emmeline
    Kate Valentina
    Kate Vivienne
    Kate Isabella
  • I am not a fan of diminutives as full names. Katherine is a lovely name, and your daughter can decide for herself if she wants to be called Kate professionally or not, whearas if you just name her Kate she does not have that option. 

If you insist on using just Kate, I would go with a long, substantial middle name to help balance it out.
    this
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Kate Leah
  • My husband and I both really love the name Kate and my name is Kathy, so I feel like Katherine is a little too close to my name. Plus my husband doesn't like the name Katherine so that's a no go anyway. We are set on using Kate as the first name, it's just the middle name that we are still debating on.

Everyone seems to be confirming my opinion that Lee is too short to go with Kate. Right now I am leaning toward using Lillian as the middle name. I like the way Kate Elizabeth sounds but I really wanted to use a family name for the middle name and I don't have anyone related to me with the name Elizabeth.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and opinions!
  • I love Kate as a full name! My husband and I are Michael and Kimberly and we both hate that our name has several versions. That's why our kids are Grant and Brynn.;)  Anyway, our friends have a Kate Juliet. I think it's beautiful.

• Kate Elizabeth
    Kate Amelia
    Kate Angelica
    Kate Sophia
    Kate Leeanna
    Kate Daphane
    Kate Aurora
    Kate Summer

I love Kate as a first name, anyone who tells you otherwise really needs to relax themselves.

Ok, I'll try. Just some advice. I go by Kate but love that I have katherine as a classic name

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• My mom's name is Susan and I had thought about using that as a possible middle name because I'm very close with my mom. I didn't think it went well with Kate but now I'm thinking maybe I could still consider it. What do you think about Kate Susan?
  • Kate Susan wouldn't be my first choice but since it has meaning I think that makes it really special. And it flows fine. I would definitely go with Kate Susan.

If we have another girl her MN will be Donna... which goes with nothing. But it's my mom's name so I love it. DS and DD' have family MNs too.

• Kate Susan is very nice
  • I love Kate! I agree that it needs a longer middle name. I really like the suggestion of Kate Juliet.
  • I would go with Kate Lillian before Kate Susan but I guess I'm in the minority because I think Kate Lee doesn't sound bad at all. I think there's a lot of very pretty value in short names, but maybe that's because both my first and middle name have three syllables each. Also, fwiw, Katherine is pretty but I'm sure your daughter isn't going to hold a lifelong grudge for not getting it ;-) And if she does, tell her she allowed to change it at 18
  • I love Kate as the full name, it's on our list to, we aren't big fans of giving kids a longer name just to shorten it.... We were throwing around
    Kate Lillian, Evelyn, Allison.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Kate Quinleigh
    Kate Olivia
    Kate Louise
  • I'll chime in, my name is Kate. It's not a nn for Katherine, I was christened Kate.

I've never felt like I've missed out, been hampered or in anyway had an issue because I didn't have the option of Katherine. I've just always been Kate.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I appreciate everyone's responses! It is nice to hear other people's opinion and perspective. Right now here are the 3 options I am considering:

Kate Susan - I don't think this one necessarily sounds the best, but my mom is definitely the family member I am closest to and since her name is Susan, it would mean a lot to name my daughter after her.

Kate Lee - Also don't think this one sounds the best but Lee is my middle name and quite a few family members of mine have Lee as a middle name so I like the family history of it. This would also give her the same initials as me.

Kate Lillian - I think this one sounds the best of the 3 and she would still have my initials. Lillian was my Grandma's name but I wasn't all that close to that Grandmother, so I hate to feel like I am naming my daughter after her just because her name happens to sound the best as a middle name compared to names of other family members that I was/am closer to.

Such a tough decision!

• Have you thought about Kate Susannah? I think it's gorgeous and she could still be named after your mom.
  • What's your mom's middle name?

• My mom's middle name is Gail. I don't think that one will work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"