Pregnant after IF

Will you get an amnio?

I will be 35 on my dd, with my first. I thought I'd go for the amnio, but then I learned about the miscarriage rate, and I don't know if it's worth it. We're starting with an NT and blood tests. I'd like to have information that can help prepare us. My husband and I work with children with special needs. We would definitely continue the pregnancy if it looks like the baby has downs, so it's not about that. If the information can help me take actions to help the health of my baby, such as delivering at a larger hospital with a great neonatal ward, doing research so we can be prepared, etc, then I want that info. I don't want to do anything that could be detrimental to my baby's health just to satisfy my curiosity. My main question is: what can the amnio really tell us that an NT and blood tests can't? I know the amnio has a higher accuracy rate & is actually diagnostic. I can't figure out if it actually tests for more things that would allow us to take actionable steps to help the health of our baby. Sorry for the incredibly long post! I'm very interested in your thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks!!!

Re: Will you get an amnio?

• I don't plan on getting an amnio unless a blood test indicates it is necessary. I would start with a NIPT before I'd consider an amnio or anything invasive. If you aren't considering a NIPT, then I'd start with the NT scan and quad testing. If anything is positive or inconclusive then you'd have to make that decision. I don't see personally what doing an amnio as a first line test would benefit. Or even wait until your 20 week a/s and if anything is amiss there, then move on to other testing. Just my 2 cents!
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • I don't think I will do anything that will increase the odds of miscarriage, If you will keep your baby no matter what there is no point of this.
  • Loading the player...
  • no, i wouldn't get an amnio. I had a Materniti21 genetic test and the 20 week anatomy scan so I feel confident we are prepared.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In the province where I live (in Canada), it is my understanding that mothers 35 and over as well as those who are going through high-risk pregnancies are automatically offered a Panorama test at the beginning of the second trimester. My understanding is that it is as effective as an amnio at detecting genetic anomalies, but without the risk factor, as it only requires a simple blood draw from the mother. 

I had the option to request it. I would've had to pay for it out-of-pocket, since I don't fall into the aforementioned categories, but it was only about $800. Might be worth looking into as an alternative to the amnio, if it would ease your mind...
  • Nope. We did PGD which ruled out 98.5% of issues. Our genetic counselor wanted us to meet with her to "talk about it and consider" it (hello abusing the insurance system), but to bump us up to 99.5% chance of no issues- and adding the risk of loss- isn't worth it. Plus, no way do I want her to bill one more penny to our insurance. She wasn't that helpful the first time around!

Those blood tests are pretty accurate IMO. I'd do those since they should be covered given your age.

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"