February 2015 Moms

Takes forever to rock baby to sleep

it never took me almost an hour to rock my 6 week old baby to sleep until now. And when I finally have her asleep and transfer her to either he crib or mommaroo (motion not on) she wakes up within 5min. What is wrong with her. Why won't she sleep??

Re: Takes forever to rock baby to sleep

• Nothing is wrong, my baby is very similar. Babies want to be held, but it's hard when you need to sleep too. I've found if my LO is swaddled, it's much easier to lay him down without him waking.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Nothing is wrong, my baby is very similar. Babies want to be held, but it's hard when you need to sleep too. I've found if my LO is swaddled, it's much easier to lay him down without him waking.

This! So much this! Swaddling has saved me and my hubby most nights!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Swaddling, music, & shhhhhing works for me
  • Nothing is wrong! There's a good chance she is going through a growth spurt, too. My DD struggled with sleeping between weeks 5-7 and is now back to it! She also had weird eating patterns during that time. One thing that helped was keeping her active during the day so she'd sleep better at night. Even if she sleeps in her stroller while I walk, it's not a deep enough sleep so she ended up very tired when I rocked her for bed. Also, having a routine! Every night at 7 I give her a bath, put on lotion and pajamas, DH gives her a bottle (his one a day), and rocks her to sleep swaddled in the dark. We only do this process right before bed, and so far it's worked like a charm. Good luck! Be patient with her, she's learning too :)
  • We just rocked for a couple of hours here.... Just babies being babies. It'll get better!
  • I usually put my baby down a little before she falls asleep. I do the same routine every night with diaper change, swaddle, one more feeding, burping and cuddling then laying her down. During the feeding is when I turn on white noise - I actually use iTunes Radio for this haha. Now she doesn't even fuss when I lay her down and she sleeps all night at 7 weeks! If she does fuss I try not to pick her up, I will rub her head to see if that calms her down enough before picking her up.
  • Try not to rock her all the way to sleep and put baby down when they are sleepy but still awake so they learn to soothe themselves to sleep.... If baby gets used to bein rocked to sleep she will never learn to soothe herself- something that is going to be useful in the future! I agree with post above- try setting a routine so baby learns it's bedtime- like white noise, a baby massage etc
  • Remember that everything is a phase. It's hard while it's happening but it will pass.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"