Baby Names
Options

Can't decide! Help!

So, I have a daughter named Emerson Elizabeth. We love her name, but it took us FOREVER to settle on it. I am now pregnant with twins (due in June). The boy's name is Kingston William, but once again we are stuck on the girl's name. We know we want Rose for her middle name, and we know we want the first name to start with 'H', but we can't decide between 3 names:

Harper
Harlow
Haven

Thoughts?

Re: Can't decide! Help!

• Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with @LuvLoveXo. Before you get hurt and offended remember you posted here to ask people for help/opinions.
  • Options
    Kingston?.......really?....will you call him King for a nn? That is BAD!
  • Options
    You are trying way to hard with those names that is my first impression and what I would think hearing or seeing them

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Kingston and all the girl options are terrible...
  • Options
    If you want an honest opinion? All too modern and trendy for me. I'd probably do something like...

Heidi Rose
    Helena Rose
    Hanna Rose
    Hallie Rose
    Holly Rose

But, if you must use one of those three, my pick would be Harper. It's incredibly trendy right now, but I seriously dislike the other two.
  • Options
    Hadley?
  • Options
    I second Hadley, but I also love Harper
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Options
    Hadley is not much better IMO. I think the whole list just needs to be re-thought. Including Kingston- it's a last nAme and the name of two major cities I can think of.
  • Options
    I am not in to trendy names most of the time but I actually like Kingston. As you may notice, I am in the minority here which makes it safe to say I would be "out there" too. I would definitely consider that but among a sea of super trendy names, I am sure that Kingston fits right in. I have to say that I am not a fan of Harper as a little girl's name and it is one I am tired of hearing. I am not a fan of Harlow either but I would chose it over Harper at this point. I actually think Haven sounds sweet. Here are a list of some of my favorite H names:

Holly
    Helena
    Harmony
    Hallie
    Haddie
  • Options
    I also think you should reconsider the names for your twins.

Boy:
    Kaspar
    Keegan
    Keenan
    Kieran
    Kelly
    Kelvin
    Kenneth
    Conrad
    Cian
    Constantine

Girls
    Hannah
    Hannelore
    Harmonia
    Harriet
    Hazel
    Hecate
    Helen
    Heloise
    Henrietta
    Hester
    Hilde
    Honoria
    Hortense

• Options
    I love Emerson :) (not that it matters, just wanted to share) I'm not a fan of Kingston, but I do like Harper and I second Hadley. Good luck with your twins :)
  • Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    Harper would be my first pick followed by Harlow, although I'm not crazy about the flow of Harlow Rose
  • Options
    I like Harper, but think it's incredibly trendy/overdone. I would choose Harlow out of your names. I think it pairs nicely with Emerson.

I'm not a fan of Kingston. I agree that it's "trying too hard." It also seems like a mouth-full (even though it's 2 syllables) but there's no decent nn.
  • Options
    I vote Harlow with the other names.
  • Options
    All bad

• Options
    Reconsider both names. No good!
  • Options
    Personal preferences aside, Emerson and Kingston sound very similar to me and I wouldn't want to use them for siblings. I know what it's like to find a certain "sound" that you like in a name though and it's hard not to use it again! (My weakness is names ending in Y for girls...)

The three girl names are not my style, but I think Harper is the nicest of the bunch . . . I have a certain fondness for the name since reading To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper has always sounded masculine to me, so Harper Rose is a pretty combination and helps it sound more feminine.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Obviously these are just opinions, and you should do what you want! I actually like Haven! I think it's really pretty. And for the record, love Emerson too. Good luck!
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:

You are trying way to hard with those names that is my first impression and what I would think hearing or seeing them

This.

All of your name options, including Emerson, are so over the top trendy that it really looks like you're trying too hard to give your children a "kewl" name. Honestly, my first impression was to roll my eyes. Names like these do stand out, but not in a good way in the real world. Not to mention the fact that they will not age well but instead time stamp to this generation and this trend. No good.

You can do better! 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    I normally hate surnames for girls. I think they're too masculine and blah. Even if they're cute I tend to wonder but what if she is a girly girl and is saddled for life with a name that she hates.
    However, I actually really like Harlow a lot. I think because Jean Harlow is the only association I know of with it. From the first time I heard it I've thought old Hollywood glamor. I think it's cool.
    I think I also have a thing for names with the OH sound. Chloe and Sophie are my favorite girl names.
  • Options

Obviously these are just opinions, and you should do what you want! I actually like Haven! I think it's really pretty. And for the record, love Emerson too. Good luck!

They may be just opinions, but when there are numbers of people agreeing on a certain point, they should at least be taken into consideration. But hey, why make posts if there is no intention of at least thinking about peoples responses?
  • Options
    Based on this thread I've come to the conclusion that this board is filled with horrible people. The OP said she loved her daughter's name - so any comment on Emerson is unnecessary and potentially hurtful - what's the point of being a total ass? Also her boy name was not in question - she said it is Kingston William and wasn't asking for advice on that either. She asked for an opinion on the three girl names she posted. She didn't say will you please suggest other names. She didn't say what are your general feelings on these names. She said help me pick a a name among these three names. I'm just astonished at how mean people are. I read this board and occasionally post because it gives me something to do to pass time but it seems some people take this a bit too seriously. And possibly have a bit too much time on their hands. For the record, OP, I prefer Harper and I think it will sound good with Emerson and Kingston.
    Okay, so I agree that no one should have commented their thoughts on Emerson (aside from those who pointed out it's similar sound wise to Kingston, which is a very valid point for the OP), as that name is already given to her daughter.

But, the bolded. SRSLY?

Opinion
    : a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing

If you ask for opinions, people are going to give them too you! If people think a name is bad, they're going to tell you! If someone asks on a forum "Hey, I'm thinking of naming my child Arseface, but prefer the spelling Arrsfaece. Which spelling should I pick?" People going to say, Don't name your kid Arseface, here are some names that won't come up as a reason why your child is depressed in therapy. 

Opinons are not validation.
  • Options
    To @lmader So the last line of the original post that says...

'Thoughts?'

Does that mean People are supposed to remain silent and not provide helpful opinions? Or tell the OP what she wants to hear in an effort to not sound 'mean'.

If I posted a list of names that people generally didn't respond well to, I'd probably have to do some thinking from there.
  • Options
    There are nice ways to say you don't love a name without being so mean people. I personally love all the names @henlyn. I like when names "go together" so when I read your three choices I automatically think Haven is the best chance since Kingston and Emerson both end with N. It's also probably the least popular at the moment. My nieces name is Harper (also a twin, other twin named Abigail/Abbey). But it is very popular right now. Go with your gut and ignore unkind people.
  • Options
    @balderasmama That's great that you personally love the names but I personally think they are terrible. We both gave opinions, see how that works? You don't get to dictate the type of responses you get on a public Internet forum so if you don't want any opinions then don't ask.

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Options
    I'm sorry but I don't like Kingston either. I actually like Harper, but I know I'm in the minority. Other suggestions:
    Halle (Please not Hadley)
    Hayley
    Holly
    Hazel
    Hannah
    Hester
    Helena
    Heidi
    Piper (not an H, but fits with Emerson)

Suggestions for a boy name besides Kingston:
    Griffin
    Gavin
    Finnegan
    Holden
    Landon
    Preston
    Nolan
    Corbin
    Peyton
    Quinton
  • Options
    I like Emerson and love Kingston. I think Harlow and Kingston go together nicely. :)
  • Options
    I love Emerson, and think that Harper sounds really cute with it. Not crazy about your other girl choices, but Harper Rose is great!
  • Options
    I like Harlow the best.

• Options
    Harlow makes me think harlot

• Options
    I prefer Haven. Not sure if you want it to be matchy with both twins ending in "n" though. Kingston is NMS, but I'm sure a lot of others will love it.

Mother of 4 beautiful babies - soon to be 5!
    Mikey - 11/08/2000
    Eden - 02/23/2003
    Alora - 04/07/2006
    Elsie - 07/08/2015
    Expecting a baby girl 11/01/2016!!

• Options
    @walbs Yes, there is also a nice way to say you are not a fan. NMS or "personally, not my favorite" gets the point across without being rude. Especially when discuss a child's name who already exists and a name they already are sure on. She didn't ask for opinions on those. I find it hard that anyone would say this to her face, it's easy when you are hiding behind a screen.
  • Options
    @HenLyn my son's name is Kingston and we love his name, it fits him perfectly. if you love the name too go for it. before we found out we were having another boy we decided on the name Luna for a girl. i know your set on having a name that starts with an H but i think Kingston and Luna sound good together. just throwing that out there :) good luck!
  • Options
    I like Harper- Haven sounds religious
  • Options
    You like H names for a girl...

Hmmm.

I like Hannah Rose. It's a gentle sounding name. Not too girly, not too tomboyish, and not too trendy.

Just a suggestion. Good luck with your name choice :)
  • Options
    I like Kingston and Emerson also. For a girl I LOVE Harper. Of course when I think of it I think of Harper Lee and I want to suggest Atticus as a boys name... Yes I am a HUGE To Kill a Mockingbird fan. I think Harper Rose is a gorgeous name. So there you have it, Kingston and Harper get my vote!! Good luck.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"