March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby has a cold, please HELP!

I'm a FTM and my 3 week old baby has a cold and I dont know what to do :( It gets me so upsetting to see him like this. He coughs a bit and sounds very congested. He sneezes but nothing comes out. I hate seeing him like this because he doesnt sleep well. I have a visit to the doctor next week but I'm not sure if I should go by tomorrow. I would really like some advice from moms out there!! Any home remedies or recommendations? I've tried saline drops but it only helps a bit :( I have a humidifier also but I guess time will tell if its helping the baby. PLEASE HELP!
thank you!!!

Re: Baby has a cold, please HELP!

• Options
    As long as he's not running a fever he should be ok. My Dr told me that babies get congested easily because they cannot clear their throat or nasal passages like we do naturally. Use a nose Frida and if nothing comes out let it pass normally. The big thing is fever. No fever you are safe to see how often he is coughing etc. DD sneezes and grunts and sounds congested but it's not anything I'm worried about.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can try a humidifier to help as well as being in a steamy bathroom (run a hot shower and close the door).

Some essential oils (diluted) are safe in infants as chest rubs to help break up congestion. But please do your research on which ones.

It's very stressful to watch your infant be sick. Especially as a first time mom. I'm sorry!
  • Options
    I have been using saline drops then suctioning with the bulb. I have a nosefrida on the way and am hoping that will get more mucus out.
  • Options
    My 4 week old has the same problem, only thing that helped was salene drops
  • Options
    What PP's said. In my experience , if your baby does start to run a fever , I prefer using the infant Tylenol suppositories. I know it sounds horrible, but it's really easy and I hate seeing my newborn gag on liquid medicine
  • Options
    I don't want to alarm you, but I would say at least make an appointment with your pediatrician. Simply because I thought my 2 week old daughter had a simple cold (congestion, and cough), however, after a trip to the ER intended to put my worries to rest, we found out she actually has RSV. So my personal advice to you is at least go see your pediatrician. Congrats on your little one!!(: Hope he feels better.
  • Options

What PP's said. In my experience , if your baby does start to run a fever , I prefer using the infant Tylenol suppositories. I know it sounds horrible, but it's really easy and I hate seeing my newborn gag on liquid medicine

Our pediatrician said no Tylenol till baby is a few months old. She only recommends saline, suction, vapor rub on feet, covered with socks, and humidifier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"