Natural Birth

When to be concerned about baby's position/presentation?

I know I'm only going on 33 weeks, but baby has been lying sideways for weeks now. I have some anxiety about whether or not she's going to turn, and I know she's going to start running out of room in there! When do I need to start getting worried if she hasn't turned head down? What are others' experiences?
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to be concerned about baby's position/presentation?

• what does your care provider say? have you checked out spinning babies yet?
  • Spinning babies! I would start being proactive now!

• Loading the player...
  • My midwife said by 34 weeks she really liked to see babies head down.  She said she doesn't like to recommend anything too much prior to 34 weeks just because so many babies do flip on their own by that time.  However she will recommended a chiro that is Webster technique trained (which my chiro was) and some of the stretches on spinning babies after 32 weeks if the mom really feels the need to start them.  She said it depended on babies position which stretches the mom should do.    

I was SOOOO stressed about the same thing.  My daughter was head down from as soon as my midwife could feel her.  So when LO#2 decided to lie transverse from weeks 20-28 I was beyond stressed.  At my 30 week appt. he was footling breech, at 32 weeks he was frank (bum down, legs up).  FINALLY at 33+ weeks I felt him flip.  It was quite the big movement so I knew what had happened.  At my 34 week appt. my midwife confirmed he was head down.  Hooray!  Have hope that your baby will know what to do.  I totally empathize though.  I know I was awake and in tears many nights talking to LO#2 encouraging him to flip for both our sakes.  It can be so stressful for someone who wants a natural childbirth!  Good luck, momma!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like others, I would do Spinning Babies now. Webster technique with a pregnancy-specializing chiro is a great idea. Moxibustion (acupuncture) is also an option. DS1 was transverse until I went for a version at 37 weeks. DS2 was transverse until about 32 weeks and then moved on his own.
  • The doc confirmed Monday that baby is definitely transverse, and we identified her head and butt so now I know exactly what's going on in there! I am trying some inversions from the spinning babies site and also may try some swimming. She doesn't seem much inclined to move out of her current position but I'll try to remain optimistic for the next few weeks.
    Next appointment is April 15 and if she still hasn't turned, the doctor said we could talk about doing a version. I'm definitely disappointed that baby isn't cooperating with all our natural birth plans, but nothing to do but wait and see what happens :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Have hope that she still may move!!!!  Some babies wait till the very end.  I'd definitely try swimming and an acupuncturist for moxibustion like the PP mentioned.  I've also read that shinning a flashlight  or playing music low in the pelvis is something to try too, maybe if you get desperate!?!?!  

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Good news! I had an appointment yesterday and the doctor found her head down, in the right place! I don't know if she'll stay there but I'm not going to worry — it seems like she knows what to do! Sweet relief!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hooray!!!