Baby Names
Options

Names at day care ...

2»

Re: Names at day care ...

• Options
    It's funny that you use the term white bread because right after I wrote the first post it occurred to me that I should have used that term instead of just white. That was actually exactly what I was picking up on when I saw the list.
    If you read my 3 following posts you know that I regretted suggesting that you could choose a more diverse option because I realized that is not always even an option. Its just my opinion that it is one quality worth valuing in a school or day care, though no more than the qualities you mentioned.
    I have lived in exactly the type of crunchy university town you describe. I love those types of towns, absolutely love them. I do not think the area I currently live in is better by any means, just different. I enjoy discussing those types of difference. Things that make you say hmmm. (Yes, an Arsenio Hall reference, God, I'm old). Discussion is the best tool for combating racism after all.
    I actually grew up in an all white, upper middle class area outside of St.Louis where there was a lot of hatred towards other races (not by everyone of course). I'm talking about some scary s___ though. Talk of revolutions and race wars. I've seen what a cancer hatred can be. So hopefully that background makes it a little more clear where I am coming from.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maladroit said:

The group my little man is in:

Girls: Sophi

Boys: Everhett, Kamron, Caden, Levi.

Gross, except for Levi. And I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your little man's name Griffin! My friend has a son named Griffin and I think it is precious :)
  • Options

In 2013 Sawyer was the 120 for boys, and 448 for girls. It is its 4th year on the top 1000 for girls. Thus we can conclude that parents naming their daughters Sawyer are obnoxious hipsters.

Very obnoxious indeed. Thanks for looking it up but that's very disheartening. I've been actually thinking it may be my top boy's pick lately. I will feel compelled to rethink it if there is a chance people are going to start viewing it as a girl's name. Oh well the chances of getting my husband on board were slim to none. So so stupid, though. Is it just me or is it a very rugged, manly sounding name?
    Please still consider it for a boy! My brother (age 22) is named Sawyer. For most of his life it was very uncommon and rare, but he has always received tons of compliments on it and he loves his name. I would hate to see it become a "girls" name only.
  • Options
    Girls:
    Ivy
    Elise
    Charlie
    Maggie
    Aubryanna

Boys:
    Owen
    Theo
    Noah
    Jaxon
    Jackson
    Myles
    Christian
    Parker

Some kid in an older class is named holiday. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl.
  • Options
    Kate0034 said:

In 2013 Sawyer was the 120 for boys, and 448 for girls. It is its 4th year on the top 1000 for girls. Thus we can conclude that parents naming their daughters Sawyer are obnoxious hipsters.

Very obnoxious indeed. Thanks for looking it up but that's very disheartening. I've been actually thinking it may be my top boy's pick lately. I will feel compelled to rethink it if there is a chance people are going to start viewing it as a girl's name. Oh well the chances of getting my husband on board were slim to none. So so stupid, though. Is it just me or is it a very rugged, manly sounding name?
    Please still consider it for a boy! My brother (age 22) is named Sawyer. For most of his life it was very uncommon and rare, but he has always received tons of compliments on it and he loves his name. I would hate to see it become a "girls" name only.
    I will still consider it but, honestly, it's probably a moot point. I don't even know the baby's sex yet (don't worry, will never consider it for a girl) and I don't think I can persuade my husband.
    I'll be completely honest though, before using it I would look further into how rapidly it is increasing in popularity among girls. (Unless wassuphoes wants to do that for me too :) ) If it stays like it is now, much more commonly used on boys, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. However, if it is going to at some point be seen as a girl's name that would deter me. I read the other post about how we should all band together and name our sons Elliott, Ryan, etc.. to preserve them as boys names. While that sounds great in theory and I really would like to support the cause I'm not going to do it at the expense of my son. Fair or not, I do think it is even harder for a boy to be saddled with a "girl name" than vice versa.
    Shout out to your parents for using the name the way it was intended.
  • Options
    in 1986 10 girls were named Sawyer. They highest number of girls named Sawyer came in 2013 with 683. It was not until 2004 that more than 100 girls were named Sawyer in a single year. 

Meanwhile, in 2013, 3,142 boys were named Sawyer. Every year since 2005 has had at least 1,000 boys named Sawyer.

Number wise, it's still a boy name.

Similarly in 2013, Elliot was given to 308 girls, and 1,486 boys.
                              Ryan was given to 436 girls, and 9.808 boys
  • Options
    Thanks so much for looking up all that detail, wassuphoes. I hope you didn't feel too pestered. I thought you seemed to enjoy helping people with the stats on names.
    I'll keep the name on my list but people using it as a girl's name is an unfortunate strike against it for me.
  • Options
    My son's preschool:
    Caroline
    Sailor (girl)
    Logan (girl)
    Aliyah
    Hannah
    Monty
    Addie (boy but his parents are Czech so I think it's short for a Czech name)
    Kaisin (boy)
    Breymen(boy)
    Aiden
    Calvin

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sagoon said:

My son's preschool:
    Caroline
    Sailor (girl)
    Logan (girl)
    Aliyah
    Hannah
    Monty
    Addie (boy but his parents are Czech so I think it's short for a Czech name)
    Kaisin (boy)
    Breymen(boy)
    Aiden
    Calvin

Ugh, some of those are nauseating. Calvin is an amazing name!
  • Options
    My daughters day care:

Boys:
    Lincoln
    Memphis
    Ashton
    Michael

Girls:
    Madelyn
    Stella
    Lillie
    Brynnan
    Madison
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    LizWhiz87 said:

27alex said:

This is appalling. Do people not realize their child is going to grow up!

On another note, love Everett. But what would be the nickname?

Every name doesn't need a nickname.
    From the parents maybe. But other kids certainly will give a nickname, whether you want it or not.

Truth.
  • Options
    Frogger5 said:

27alex said:

LizWhiz87 said:

27alex said:

From the parents maybe. But other kids certainly will give a nickname, whether you want it or not.

Truth.
    I never had a nickname - truth.

our family is not big into nicknames and we have many grown adults all the way down to babies with big names .......and NEVER had or went by nn. Some we even tried and they didn't stick. Samantha, Jacquelyn, Genevieve, Cathleen, Steven, Michael, Kathleen ....there are more, but I won't go on. Nicknames don't HAVE to happen.
  • Options

We call Everhett "Ev" or "Rhett".  That's interesting that some people never have nicknames!  The only people I know that haven't had nn's are people with fn's that are nn's (ex. Becky, Kate) and then my mom 'Dolores'.  Even I was given a nn that I HATED growing up (Nikki).

Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • Options
    I never had a nickname either, but my name is Dawn....what are you going to shorten that to? lol. The worst part about my name is that you'd be surprised how many people cannot pronounce it or understand it when spoken.
  • Options
    Frogger5 said:

27alex said:

LizWhiz87 said:

27alex said:

Truth.
    I never had a nickname - truth.
    Same. My name is Elizabeth, and it wasn't until I went to college that anyone called me anything other than that. I happened to like Liz, so when people started calling me that, I went with it, but I personally don't think any name is tied to a specific nickname or requires one.
  • Options
    I'm a Diane, and I didn't have any nicknames really growing up. My dad would call me DC (middle name starts with a C), but it wasn't until college and adulthood that people really began calling me Di or D which I don't mind at all. Honestly, my name gets butchered so often that I'll respond to anything close sounding to it. 
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    My name is Sasha and I've never had or needed a nickname. Maybe it's different for three syllable names though.

Also, as for all the fears about boy names "becoming" girls names, I really think this is a non-issue. Specifically for Sawyer, it will ALWAYS be most associated with Tom Sawyer who is a boy. But moreover, who says names can't be for both? I've known guy Courtney's and Kelly's and they define the and for themselves. Take my name, which is traditionally a male name (nn for Alexander). I don't think having girl Sasha's out there have ruined the name for guys. Isn't it possible to have gender-neutral names?
  • Options
    Louisl said:

My name is Sasha and I've never had or needed a nickname. Maybe it's different for three syllable names though.

Also, as for all the fears about boy names "becoming" girls names, I really think this is a non-issue. Specifically for Sawyer, it will ALWAYS be most associated with Tom Sawyer who is a boy. But moreover, who says names can't be for both? I've known guy Courtney's and Kelly's and they define the and for themselves. Take my name, which is traditionally a male name (nn for Alexander). I don't think having girl Sasha's out there have ruined the name for guys. Isn't it possible to have gender-neutral names?

Kelly and Courtney are both traditionally masculine names.
  • Options

Louisl said:

@wassuphoes totally. Exactly my point, as is Sawyer. Usually a name is traditionally one or the other, but that doesn't mean a trend will "ruin it" for the other gender.
  • Options
    The adverb name thing seems to be big in the South. Lots of -ly, lee, leigh names among my friends. There's a Paisley (we elbow him about naming his next Houndstooth or Chevron), Ella Lee, and Everlee (no idea. Everly Brothers maybe?)

Anyway, back to topic:

Boys
    Matthew
    Hudson
    Alex
    Jacob

Girls
    Ayla
    Maddie Kate
    Diana
    Carleigh
    Reagan
  • Options
    Louisl said:

Louisl said:

@wassuphoes totally. Exactly my point, as is Sawyer. Usually a name is traditionally one or the other, but that doesn't mean a trend will "ruin it" for the other gender.
    There's another thread solely about this, but generally when a masculine name starts being used for girls it either falls off usage for girls quickly or it falls completely off usage for boys. And there is far more social stigma for a boy having a "feminine" name then for a girl having a "masculine" name. There was a post that warned against using Ryan for a boy because all she knew where baby girls with it.  Whats more, very few people are interested in naming their sons Sue or Anna, which is the other issue of it, "masculine" names being okay for either gender but "feminine" names are only good for girls.

• Options

I never had a nickname either, but my name is Dawn....what are you going to shorten that to? lol. The worst part about my name is that you'd be surprised how many people cannot pronounce it or understand it when spoken.

It is so weird how often I hear Dawn pronounced as Don. Do they also pronounce yawn as yon??? Must be very annoying!
  • Options
    ==N====N== member

It is so weird how often I hear Dawn pronounced as Don. Do they also pronounce yawn as yon??? Must be very annoying!
    Yup, that's how we say it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've noticed that before, too. So strange! I wonder if those people say it that way when referring to sunrise or only when using the name.
  • Options
    I'm confused, how is dawn supposed to be pronounced?
  • Options
    Rhymes with yawn.
  • Options
    I always pronounce it like Don, just like I say yawn like yon. I thought that's what it was supposed to be, unless I'm missing something
  • Options
    RudetomataRudetomata member
    edited April 2015

I always pronounce it like Don, just like I say yawn like yon. I thought that's what it was supposed to be, unless I'm missing something

That's very interesting. Its probably a regional thing. I say Dawn with an awe sound and Don with an ah sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"