March 2015 Moms

To be induced or to wait?

My due date was March 11th. This is my first pregnancy. My cervix is still closed and no signs of labor. The baby and myself are perfectly fine and he has plenty of fluid. My doctor wants to start a two part induction on Sunday night but I would really rather wait for him to try and come on his own. I'm just not sure on what to do!

Re: To be induced or to wait?

• I was due on the 13th and just had a membrane sweep this morning after checking that baby was fine. Figured this "gentle" inducement at 41 weeks would help jump start things naturally. If all else fails, my midwife and I agreed to start Pitocin ( my most feared drug) at exactly 42 weeks. As much as I want to avoid Pit, I know that baby's health at 42 weeks will be more important than anything else.

Mind you, I was already 2-3cm dialated and 90% effaced so not the exact same situation as you.

Hope this helps you decide. No matter what, you will have your little babe soon!!
  • Personally I would wait until two weeks exactly ... As long as baby is happy and healthy that's what I would do if I were in your shoes. But ultimately you do what's best for you guys! :) good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • If your comfortable and baby is healthy and safe go ahead and wait until 42 weeks when it becomes a bit more urgent to get baby out :-)
  • I had a son that was born at 43 weeks and one day. I was not induced.  He came in his own time. As long as you and your baby are doing well I would suggest you wait (especially with zero dilation and effacement).  But the standard of care is delivery by 42 weeks.  I assume what you mean by a two part induction is introducing a prostaglandin to ripen the cervix then later pitocin.  

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• I had a son that was born at 43 weeks and one day. I was not induced.  He came in his own time. As long as you and your baby are doing well I would suggest you wait (especially with zero dilation and effacement).  But the standard of care is delivery by 42 weeks.  I assume what you mean by a two part induction is introducing a prostaglandin to ripen the cervix then later pitocin.  

Interesting! Were you able to have him naturally? Very interested in hearing your birth story. Kind of makes me want to cancel my induction.
  • 75% of "late" babies are not actually late, just a miscalculation of the due date. If you're feeling fine and baby is being monitored and doing fine, by all means wait. Hope you go into labor naturally before you need to make the decision, though!
  • I can relate 100% to you. I was also due March 11, still pregnant. I'm not dialiating at all so I'm headed in this evening to be induced with prostaglandin. I've tried everything, even the castor oil, sex, hiking, massage, etc. I'm not sure what's going to happen if I don't ripen but I know baby is happy, healthy, and growing. I'm just hoping for no cesarean, but they are concerned about baby size (weighed in at 9lbs14oz on thursday). At my clinic they've been wanting me to deliver for a while so there's been a lot of back and forth with docs. Good luck, I know this didn't help but reading yours made me feel better (I'm not alone and neither are you).
  • Yes I am officially overdue and unsure what to do. They are worried about his size but I don't want to be induced...ugh. I'm not super antsy to have him either...I'm comfy at the moment.
  • I agree that most pregnancies are miscalculated. Even mamas who know the exact date of conception often go to 41, 42 weeks... There is some controversy as to whether or not 40 weeks is actually even the ideal it's made out to be. Babies are humans; humans are diverse. I would always resist an induction.
  • @charmlessblur there are studies that show that labor is easier with bigger babies done naturally, no induction. I'm no doctor so obviously you have to make your own decision but it does make sense to let the body prep on its own time rather than force it to push out a big ol' baby! :) as long as baby and you are healthy.
  • I'm not overdue (yet!), but I wouldn't consider an induction before 42 weeks, unless absolutely necessary.

• Thank you for the advice! I'm really wanting to do it naturally :) I'm a patient lady haha
  • Hang in there! It sounds like you are making an informed decision about waiting and you are doing just the right thing for you and your baby. I know that everyone else around you can make waiting so hard, but stick with it! 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

miscarriage at 8 weeks - August 2009
  • Thank you everyone! I have deciced to wait, I feel that me and the baby will be most happy that way. And as long as he's healthy, I am happy.
  • Awesome! I was going to say "go with your gut." and you already are :)
  • Speaking from the experience of having just been induced Saturday (at 40 wks, 5 days), I wish I would've waited. I went through a pretty invasive induction process (including cytotec, Foley catheter with balloons [painful to have inserted], internal contraction monitor placed and eventually epidural) and finally did dilate/efface fully. But after all that, I pushed for over 3 hours (2 of which were with epidural turned way down so I could feel when to push) and could not get my daughter past my pubic bone. Her head was not turned all the way down and we later found out head circumference was 14 and 1/4 inches (larger end of normal). So I ended up with a csection. Of course I don't know if things would have been any different had I waited longer, but I can't help but wonder if my body and baby's head position would have responded better and more efficiently with spontaneous labor. I don't mean to frighten anyone about induction, but I did want to share my personal experience. In the end, I got an absolutely beautiful, healthy baby daughter (22 inches and 8 lbs, 2 ounces), and so I can't complain!
  • blueroad said:

Speaking from the experience of having just been induced Saturday (at 40 wks, 5 days), I wish I would've waited. I went through a pretty invasive induction process (including cytotec, Foley catheter with balloons [painful to have inserted], internal contraction monitor placed and eventually epidural) and finally did dilate/efface fully. But after all that, I pushed for over 3 hours (2 of which were with epidural turned way down so I could feel when to push) and could not get my daughter past my pubic bone. Her head was not turned all the way down and we later found out head circumference was 14 and 1/4 inches (larger end of normal). So I ended up with a csection. Of course I don't know if things would have been any different had I waited longer, but I can't help but wonder if my body and baby's head position would have responded better and more efficiently with spontaneous labor. I don't mean to frighten anyone about induction, but I did want to share my personal experience. In the end, I got an absolutely beautiful, healthy baby daughter (22 inches and 8 lbs, 2 ounces), and so I can't complain!

My first was induced at 39wks 4days (it ended up okay but very rough during) and I felt similarly afterward. My 2nd was 9 days late and labor started on its own. Much better birth.

I'm now 40wks and 4 days with this one and my practice typically looks at induction at 41 weeks (that would be this Thurs.) though they'll let you go to 42 if they feel it's medically okay.

I'm really torn right now. I don't want to be induced if she doesn't come before Thurs. but I'm also super uncomfortable and over it.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got induced at 41+6days and stayed at 6cm for 12 hours with epidural ..doctor called it and I got a c section man that hurts but excited to meet my baby finally
  • My update; I was induced Saturday midnight with mess - something. My water broke at 430 am and it looked like things were progressing. Contractions were long and strong but 10 min apart. Then I was checked, only 1cm. At 3pm I agreed to pitocin. At 330 meconium was in my discharge and contractions were worse.... each was 10-20 min long with super contractions on top (dont know if that's right word). I don't remember anything after 6pm bc my eyes w er e closed and contractions were solid, not intermittent. 930 I took the epidural, and was still 1cm. At 11 the baby became distressed, and agreed to cesarean, still 1cm after the contractions and drugs. Not sure what caused all the problems, but baby came out with meconium in lungs etc, cord around body (reason he wouldn't drop), etc. I wonder if this happened bc it was too early for him/me, if induced, if pitocin... but I know it was worth it Bc he's asleep on my chest.
  • @rtrout10 I'm sorry you had such a rough experience but so happy it all turned out okay for you! I'm looking at being induced late next week because I'm almost at my due date and still sealed tight so induction stories make me nervous but at the same time I'm glad they are heavily supervised so things tend to work out. Thank you for sharing
  • Congratulations on your new arrival! You have a healthy baby and that is the most important thing! I wish for you that you have a healthy recovery from your c-section!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"