2nd Trimester

Fluid in Neck of Baby

My husband and I currently going through an incredibly difficult time. After having a miscarriage last time around, our 11 week ultrasound showed that nuchofold test had revealed our baby had 6.5mm of fluid in the back of the neck. This is typically associated with a chromosomal disorder. We did a CVS which came back normal. We went back for our 13 week check up expecting that the bump would have gone down and it has now increased to 8.7mm. We are devastated. We are praying. We have no idea what to expect or how to deal with this. Has anyone gone through the same thing ? 

Re: Fluid in Neck of Baby

• I am sorry you are going through this. Has the Dr said what could be causing it since the CVS came back normal? T&P
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. What did your Dr. say about the increase in measurement?

Thoughts and prayers your way, I'm sure it's incredibly stressful.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • I have no experience with this but I just wanted to say that I am sorry you have to go through it. Thoughts and prayers that it goes down and Baby is okay!
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this.  My heart breaks for you.

My sweet pea had an increased nuchal fold as well; we also had two previous miscarriages within the past year and I'm high risk bc of a previous PE.  We did the Harmony test, which looked at the top 4 chromosomal abnormalities and it came back negative (also got to learn it's a girl!), but they said it could be a less common chromosome abnormality or a birth defect (most commonly heart defect).  We tested my chromosomes as well as my husband's and learned two days ago that they are normal.  Tuesday we have our 20 week US where they will look for any anomalies and my dr said at 24 weeks we will do a fetal echo cardiogram. 

They said we were at an increased risk of miscarriage and most are miscarried by 20 weeks.  It's just like a continuous set of milestones to get through and you never really get to relax and enjoy the pregnancy. 

I would recommend purchasing a fetal doppler for home (we bought one off ebay for $50).  It has eased my mind that at least her little heart is still beating...I check daily.  I would also say the possibilities of causes are horrifying.  If it reassures you to have a different plan for each scenario then start researching; you may have some hard decisions coming up.  However, sometimes it is nice to just enjoy the miracle inside of you and, if you are a religious person, trust that no matter what happens it is what is best for your baby.  My mom kept telling me to "trust in God's plan" and "be optimistic"; it's good advice, but the hardest thing to do so if you just want to relent your fears and concerns we are always hear to listen.
  • Thoughts ans prayers I can only imagine what your going through but with faith hopefully everything comes out fine.
  • Amaze2000Amaze2000 member
    edited March 2015
    I’m sorry to hear of what you and your husband are
    going through, you are in my prayer.  Has your doctor been able to speak into this at all?

Amaze0707 
  • I am so sorry you are going through this, last pregnancy my doctor called to tell me she was not happy with the results of a blood test...I can't remember what it was for...but she wanted to retest the coming week.

That week was hell for me and no matter how hard I tried I just kept worrying.  I am a religious person, so every time I began to worry I just stopped and prayed, I did  A LOT OF PRAYING that week lol.    The second test came back much better and I have a healthy two year old running around the house today. 

I will be praying for you!
  • Hello I went through the same it was awful, the 11 week scan showed 6.5mm and then at 13 weeks it was 7.8mm.. Cvs came back fine, and they did something called a microarray which tests for rare chromosome problems, it came back the other day as normal too, I know it's hard and the doctors really worry you, but it's doesn't always necessarily mean there is a problem, I'm now 23 weeks and they have mentioned 'it could be something you won't know until birth or later in life'.. Well they could go on and on! Stay positive x
  • I am so sorry you are going through this! I had my ultrasound last week and my scan showed 5.1. They did a CVS but my results won't be in till next Thursday and my next ultrasound won't be for another 3 weeks to see if the fluid has increased. It's driving me crazy but I'm try to stay positive! I will keep you in my prayers!