TTC after 35

New to site/forum (child mentioned)

luvbug378luvbug378 member
edited March 2015 in TTC after 35
Hello all :) I am new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. Me 37 (13 YO daughter from previous relationship) DH 34 (no children) TTC about 4 years. I had previously had an IUD before my husband and I were married. A month before our wedding I had it removed as my husband and I wanted to try having children right away. We have been trying for it the natural way, never monitored temps or ovulation but as I am getting older we finally decided to "kick it up a notch". Currently AF but I bought an ovulation kit at target so we're going to give that a try. Not sure when we should BD once I have a positive result on the test. Any (and all) suggestions are appreciated. Looking forward to meeting you all.

~Feliz

Re: New to site/forum (child mentioned)

• Welcome and good luck!

I would suggest Wondfo ovulation test strips. (Ordered off Amazon) They are quite inexpensive and you can test 2x/day if needed to catch your surge, if it's difficult to catch. Lots of ladies on here use them.

If you have been TTC that long you might want to consider an appointment with an RE sooner than later, so they can run tests if there is an underlying issue and assist with your journey.
  • Welcome and I hope your stay will be short! You should bd as soon as you get a pos OPK because your best chance is to get the sperm in there before you O. But keep using the OPK because some people have a long surge. I would keep doing the deed until it turns negative to cover your bases. If you really want to kick it up you should pay attention to your cm and cervix too. I recommend the sight Fertility Friend for charting, and there is a lot of helpful info there.

Also, since you've been trying for so long I recommend seeing an RE. They can order some testing to make sure there isn't any damage from your iud and make sure you don't have any other issues preventing you from getting pregnant. They can also order an sa for your h to make sure there are no issues with his sperm. You may need a referral from your OB/GYN for insurance to cover it or even to be accepted by one, so I would check into that ASAP. That's the best advice I can give you.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome!  I suggest checking your temp along with the OPKs because the OPK just tells you if you're gearing up to ovulate.  Your temp rise will confirm if you do.  Agree with @Guennie that Fertility Friend has some awesome tutorials people rave about to help you figure out what it all means.  

I would also suggest going to a RE since you've been trying for a while.  Personally though, I'd probably do the whole OPK, temp thing for a couple months and make sure your timing is actually correct.  If you have good timing for a couple months and you're not pregnant, then I'd head to a RE.  If you haven't been keeping track, it could be as simple as missing your ovulation if you ovulate earlier or later than you think. But, that's just my opinion. 
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Thanks for the replies ladies :) it's a lot of info to process but I really appreciate the feedback.
  • Welcome! I don't use OPKs so can't offer advice there, but found temp//charting to be very helpful. I would echo the suggestions above to see an RE in the near future and get some basic tests done to start. 
    Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
    TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
    Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
    Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
    IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
    Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
    IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
    FET 9/17: BFN
    Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

• Welcome. This place is a great resource for info and support. Good luck to you and looking forward to getting to know you.
    TTC #1 since January 2014
  • Welcome. The other wonderful ladies have given you great advice.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• Welcome!! I agree with @emsmama15 that the OPKs just let you know when you are about to ovulate, but the temperature rise is the only thing that can confirm it. I've had a few cycles with a positive OPK but no ovulation so it's important to take your temp too. This will help show if you are ovulating regularly and whether or not you ovulate around the same time. Good luck with it all!!

ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Welcome.  I'd also recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility and/or doing the charting course on Fertility Friend. They send you one lesson a day on email and it really makes it easier to understand.

Good luck! Stick around on this board. There are a lot of nice women cheering each other on.

TTC #1
    me- 37, DH- 38
    Married 6.28.14, started TTC right away
    BFP Nov 2015, PPROM Feb 2016
    ER #1 May 2017, 15 retrieved, 10 fertilized, 3 day 5.
    ER#2 July 2017, 22 retrieved, 13 fertilized, 6 day 5/6
    9 embryos tested for pgs and pgd.  
    FET #1 9.29.17- 1 embryo-BFN
    FET#2 12.19.17- I embryo-BFP 1/1/18! Happy New Year to me! EDD 9/6/18
    Baby boy born 9.11.18- the love of my life!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"