Natural Birth

continuous fetal monitoring for VBAC...

**I first posted this in the VBAC board, but decided to repost here because it seems more active** Thanks!

Hello - I'm due mid-May with baby #2. Baby #1 was born via C-Section
because she was breech. I am planning a hospital VBAC with a midwife
group. Today at my midwife appointment, I was told again that because
its a VBAC, CFM is required, as well as IV access. This particular
midwife said no exceptions. Another midwife in the practice told me they
could be a somewhat flexible. With this type of CFM, I can only move
within a small area and no water at all. So - I guess my question is -
how limiting is this? Does anyone have advice on how to best handle
labor with these restrictions? My general plan is to avoid epidural for
as long as possible (as well as most other interventions), although I am
fine with having an epi towards the end if I want one.
I'm trying not to get bummed about this but I hate what seems like completely arbitrary restrictions.
I'm open to all suggestions as to how to make this work (except looking for different care providers).
Thank you!

Re: continuous fetal monitoring for VBAC...

• ugh - i don't have any advice but i would give some push back... it seems really excessive and not helpful towards your goal. Ask if it's the hospital policy? 
  • I would look into other options near you if possible. All if the hospitals near me require cfm for vbac but all of them have telemetry units to be portable and can be submerged. It's never too late to switch! Maybe contact your local ICAN chapter for options?

• Loading the player...
  • I'm assuming you've asked about telemetry/wireless units? How many MWs are in your practice - can you time your entrance w the MW who is more flexible? 

With my first VBAC, my MW stressed that I stayed home until I was pretty far along and very much in active labor. I would def stay out of the hospital as long as you can. There are women who take a lot of "bathroom breaks" to escape CFM as well. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Honestly I would just take it off. Also a vbac myself but delivering at home. Research shows no better outcomes with cfm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml