Multiples
Options

Any side effects to having 'tubes tied' during c-section?

Hi
I'm currently pregnant with my 3rd and 4th babies and hubby and I have decided no more after these. Hubby has put his hand up for a vasectomy as I'm aiming for a vaginal birth. However, if it turns out I have to have a c-section I've said I'll have my tubes tied instead.
My question is has anyone who has had the two ops at the same time experienced any reason they wouldnt recommend it? Did it affect your recovery? Or affect your hormone balance? I'm a bit scared any advice appreciated.

Re: Any side effects to having 'tubes tied' during c-section?

• Options
    No advice but following as in a similar situation right now

• Options
    This was our plan. DH agreed, reluctantly to a vasectomy if I had a vaginal birth. Once we knew I was having a c/s due to baby A's breech position my doctor asked if I would want my tubes tied. I agreed. I had a pretty difficult c/s with some complications, but not from the tubal. I developed gestational thrombocytopenia (low platelets in pregnancy). I was at risk for needing to have general anesthesia, but the anesthesiologist was confident I would be okay with a spinal (I was right on the cusp). Unfortunately I had some hemorrhaging and lost a lot of blood after the c/s. This caused my platelets post-c/s to drop even further. B/c of that I was unable to be on any pain medications that were aspirin or ibuprofen based. For the first 3 days after my c/s I was only on acetaminophen. Very high doses, but still, not enough narcotic to help the pain. This slowed my recovery. I had increased pain in the area of the tubal, but only because I couldn't have better pain meds. Had I been on percocet or something similar earlier, I would have been okay. I did not notice any different hormonal swings compared to my first post-pregnancy hormone swings. I did have my placentas encapsulated and I think that helped some compared to my first.

So long story short, if it weren't for the complications, I don't think I would have noticed the increased pain. But there was some additional pain on my sides from the tubal, but normally that would have been managed with better pain meds if I could have taken them. I'm glad I did it and don't have to worry about birth control at this time. And it only added minutes to the procedure which was just time my DH and I held our babies (I was allowed to not have my hands out so I could hold one of the babies immediately for skin to skin, and DH did skin to skin with the other baby immediately following delivery).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for your insight Legaleagles. Sorry to hear about the complications you had during your c-section and lack of pain meds sounds really scary but I had not thought about asking my about skin to skin during a csection I'm really glad you was able to have it.
    I think I'm actually a bit scared of a c-section altogether but its good to know you didn't have problems with the Tubal as it's put my mind at ease a bit. :)
  • Options
    I had a tubal as well with my c/s and had no complications at all. I can't say I noticed either way that it was done. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I had mine tied at the time of my section. It adds nothing to your recovery typically and has nothing to do with your hormones. You will still have periods and your ovaries are in tact. They just sever the tube so that the egg cannot travel to your uterus for fertilization. I was up and walking as soon as my spinal had worn off. I would have my tubes tied 1000 times  :))
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you for your insight Legaleagles. Sorry to hear about the complications you had during your c-section and lack of pain meds sounds really scary but I had not thought about asking my about skin to skin during a csection I'm really glad you was able to have it.
    I think I'm actually a bit scared of a c-section altogether but its good to know you didn't have problems with the Tubal as it's put my mind at ease a bit. :)

Yes! Absolutely talk to your OB about immediate skin to skin. I had a vaginal birth with my daughter and that was my best memory, I was so scared of not getting that with the boys. My OB and the anesthesiologist were great. They cleaned him off a bit more before giving him to me (DD was given to meed immediately after birth), but he was in my arms before Baby B was out. And they made sure to give DH agown/cover that opened in front so he could pull it open and do skin to skin with baby B. 

It was a really special experience and one of the nurses grabbed DH's camera and got photos for us. 

• Options
    One more pic for you. 

• Options
    Got mine tied, have had no problems.
  • Options
    I had mine tied during my c-section and haven't had major complications. My periods have gotten heavier and the cramping is more severe, but I'm not entirely that it's related to the procedure.
    J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"