April 2014 Moms
Options

MOTN feedings

LO is 11 months and she still wakes to eat once during the night. Sometimes it's 8 hours in, sometimes it's only 4 hours in. She is formula fed. I just started slowly decreasing the amount we give her hoping that she will stop waking when we get down to an ounce or so. Anyone else's LO still waking to eat? We have also tried stepped soothing and she ends up crying for an hour (with check ins of course). The pedi said she should be off formula by one year, and I don't want her screaming in the middle of the night waiting for milk to be warmed up. Any tips out there for stopping the wake ups? Thanks!

Re: MOTN feedings

• Options
    We are bf and she wakes up once a night most nights too...the time can vary but usually it's 7-8 hours into the night. I haven't tried the stepped soothing at night yet....
  • Options
    We often have a wake up. We BF, but I try to soothe any other way first. But last night, I could hear his tummy growling! So, I fed him. I figure sometimes he might not have gotten enough during the day and still needs it. So, no real advice, but you are not alone!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you sure he is waking from hunger?
  • Options
    Liane28 said:

Are you sure he is waking from hunger?

We have tried the stepped soothing and the only thing that works is to feed her. She goes right back to sleep afterwards.
  • Options
    My LO was waking and I thought from hunger too. It's more likely soothing whether bottle in your case or boob in mine. I researched my ass off, talked to the dr, friends etc etc. At 11 months they are ready to STTN. We prepared ourselves (mentally) and let her cry it out two nights in a row and haven't looked back. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Couple of wake ups, some tears for a bit, but she did go back to sleep. She sleeps great now and so do we.
  • Options
    @CatherineDC2012 how long did your LO cry those few nights?
  • Options
    We're still up to nurse once in the overnight. she takes bottles during the day and is accepting them cold, so if/when she's off the boob and wants to eat in the overnight cold milk will be the only option. You could do that- if she's really hungry she'll take it cold.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    @OliveOyl2014 first night it was 25 min the first time then 35. Second night two 35 minutes- next night and since then (one month ago) nada. It was not easy. But I knew she could do it and I was going back to work so I needed the sleep too. It was the best thing for us! Hope you guys come to the best solution for you!
  • Options
    LO still wakes up 2-3 times a night. I go in and nurse him for about two minutes and he goes back to sleep. On one hand I feel like I should be working on breaking the habit, on the other hand i feel like those 6 minites a night really aren't ruining my night of sleep so I'm not too worried about it. Anyone else just purely subcoming to the motn feedings?
  • Options
    Our LO can sometimes sleep the whole night, but when she wakes between 4-6 am I go ahead and feed her. (She's breastfed but has a formula bottle before bed). Bc she can go all night most of the time, I feed her when she wakes bc maybe she didn't get enough food during the day.
  • Options

Our LO can sometimes sleep the whole night, but when she wakes between 4-6 am I go ahead and feed her. (She's breastfed but has a formula bottle before bed). Bc she can go all night most of the time, I feed her when she wakes bc maybe she didn't get enough food during the day.

That was my thought also, that she didn't eat enough during the day. But she sometimes wakes up only 4 hours after going to bed. I know she can go the whole night too. Hopefully as she eats more solids she will be waking less.
  • Options

My LO was waking and I thought from hunger too. It's more likely soothing whether bottle in your case or boob in mine. I researched my ass off, talked to the dr, friends etc etc. At 11 months they are ready to STTN. We prepared ourselves (mentally) and let her cry it out two nights in a row and haven't looked back. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Couple of wake ups, some tears for a bit, but she did go back to sleep. She sleeps great now and so do we.

This was us too. She'll still wake up a few times, but after a few minutes (no more than 5), she's back to sleep. Bless the baby Jesus.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"