1st Trimester

Anyone not taking vitamins?

I am a little old fashioned and prefer getting my nutritional needs from healthy food rather than stuff made in a lab i.e. vitamin pills. But I am willing to accept that during pregnancy I might need more than I can/should eat. However, I'm wondering if anyone has been successful at getting enough of the essentials purely from food and how?
Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone not taking vitamins?

• I'm taking them. Just wanted to know if there was a more natural way
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I think it gets absorbed better when it's sourced from food. And I have doubts about stuff made in a lab.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I do not take prenatal vitamins as everything I was taking was making me pretty sick. My doctor recommended I stop taking them and recently recommended even just a flintstone vitamin so I'll be trying that.
  • plumpous said:

I think it gets absorbed better when it's sourced from food. And I have doubts about stuff made in a lab.

Call me old fashioned. Pregnancy = Prenatal vitiams. Anything else I get from my food is a bonus. I'd rather know that me and my baby are getting exactly what we need everyday.

• Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited March 2015
    I agree with doing research on vitamins that you need while pregnant and which foods contain them. I've done this research myself to make sure I'm eating a healthy and balanced diet, however, I also take my prenatal vitamins because I would hate to be overestimating what I am taking in via food alone. There are many factors that contribute to the concentration of vitamins in foods, including how the food was grown, how long it's been since it was picked, is it seasonal or not, organic/wild vs. non-organic/farm-raised, etc.

Better safe than sorry.
  • I think it's totally legitimate to try and do things naturally if possible and I don't intend to argue about the merits of supplements. My question is, can it be done? If you were committed and worked hard, you don't think it's possible? I was just looking to see if someone here has managed to do it. I would like to be able to get everything from food if possible because this is my personal preference. I will never sacrifice the health of my babies and I am definitely taking pills now. I am simply trying to see if there's another way.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Honestly, no. Hence why ACOG stepped in an recommended that all women of child bearing age take a multivitamin with folic acid.
    And why the federal government started requiring certain foods to be fortified with particular nutritional supplements, like Vit. D and Folic Acid.

I know several dietician and THEY still take a multivitamin because there is no way to get all of the vitamins and minerals in daily. Even before you add pregnancy.
  • Honestly, no. Hence why ACOG stepped in an recommended that all women of child bearing age take a multivitamin with folic acid.

This information is not being educated to the general public at all. I never knew folic acid was important before I got pregnant.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The general public also reads at a 6 grade reading level. So, yeah.
    Folic acid is critical to a developing embryo. It helps close the neural tube, that will from the spine. Before the use of OTC vitamins and Folic Acid rich cereals, there was a much larger percent of children being born with spina bifida.
  • I think the benefit of taking a prenatal vitamin (no spina bifida - Yay!) outweigh the risks (none). So I would just take the vitamin. I'm sure you could get all of your nutrients from food, it would just make things unnecessarily complicated. But to each his own.
  • plumpous said:

I think it's totally legitimate to try and do things naturally if possible and I don't intend to argue about the merits of supplements. My question is, can it be done? If you were committed and worked hard, you don't think it's possible? I was just looking to see if someone here has managed to do it. I would like to be able to get everything from food if possible because this is my personal preference. I will never sacrifice the health of my babies and I am definitely taking pills now. I am simply trying to see if there's another way.

Unless you are getting your nutrient levels checked daily, you wouldn't know if you are getting enough or not. So the point everyone is trying to make is that it's better to take the vitamins just to be sure. If you want to rely solely on food, then do some research about your best diet options.
    This I totally agree with.

Also if you feel so strongly about doing it as naturally as possible. I would take it up with your OB, and seek medical advise, to see if it is possible, and how you would go about it.

• plumpous said:

Honestly, no. Hence why ACOG stepped in an recommended that all women of child bearing age take a multivitamin with folic acid.

This information is not being educated to the general public at all. I never knew folic acid was important before I got pregnant.
    I knew about folic acid before having my first kid. The information is definitely out there, in pregnancy books, websites, articles, etc. But that doesn't matter now, any OB worth his salt should tell patients that bit of info during the 1st appointment.
    First appointment might be week 8. They say you should take even before you conceive. If you didn't know about it, most of the first trimester is over by the time you wise up.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• plumpous said:

Honestly, no. Hence why ACOG stepped in an recommended that all women of child bearing age take a multivitamin with folic acid.

I knew about folic acid before having my first kid. The information is definitely out there, in pregnancy books, websites, articles, etc. But that doesn't matter now, any OB worth his salt should tell patients that bit of info during the 1st appointment. Folic acid is most important during the 1st trimester because it helps with brain and spine development. It's recommended that women start taking it before pregnancy because many brain and spine defects occur before turning the positive pregnancy test.
    I even remember an OJ commercial back in the day talking about the importance of folic acid and getting enough before you conceive. And this was when I was a teenager and not ever remotely thinking about children. The info on folic acid has been out for a long time.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Try Mega Food Baby and Me, it's gmo free, vegan, organic, plant based and all other kinds of healthy. It's expensive, but if you're concerned about unnatural additives, this will be your best bet. Good luck!
  • Umm ok. Do you know how many people get the recommended daily nutrition they need, especially during pregnancy? It is pretty much 0%
    take a freaking vitamin. They have organic, vegan.... what ever helps floats your boat.

Yes this.

It would be irresponsible to advocate for anyone else to avoid a PNV.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• It took me a while to get pregnant, and I admit that when my PNVs ran out, I was frustrated and bitter and didn't bother to refill them.  But you bet your ass that the minute I got my BFP, I was down at the store buying more.

I can't imagine opting to *not* do something so simple as to take a vitamin when the benefits far, far outweigh any basically-nonexistent risks.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • I have no idea how I would survive without my prenatals! Like another user said try googling. You have 10000 things to worry about during this time and adding up dv % in every meal you make just is over kill. Prenatals wouldn't be out for expecting mothers if they had chances of birth defects. Just take the pill(s) and go on about your day. Why even risk not getting adequate nutrients in your body for your baby?
  • plumpous said:

plumpous said:

I knew about folic acid before having my first kid. The information is definitely out there, in pregnancy books, websites, articles, etc. But that doesn't matter now, any OB worth his salt should tell patients that bit of info during the 1st appointment.

First appointment might be week 8. They say you should take even before you conceive. If you didn't know about it, most of the first trimester is over by the time you wise up.

This sounds very excuse-ish. I called my OB's office the day I got my BFP to schedule my first OB appointment, like ya do. One of the FIRST things the receptionist (THE RECEPTIONIST!!) asked was if I was taking PNVs and to make sure they had folic acid in them. If you are unsure where to start after finding out you're pregnant, ask your physician's office. They will tell you or will have the resources available to help you. Even asking friends who have been there done that is a goof option. Also, as other PPs have mentioned, google.

• I only skimmed through this post but what did your doc say about you not taking vitamins?
  • If you really don't want to take prenatal vitamins, go to a doctor and get blood work done. They will tell you if you're low. If you're doing well with all of your vitamin levels, then continue to eat the same way.

I got blood work done just before getting pregnant. I was low in vitamin D, so I began to take a supplement. After getting pregnant, I just bought some folic acid and took the folate and vitamin d.

However, around week 6, I got so sick, I couldn't stomach anything but carbs or junk food. I gave in and shot some regular prenatal vitamins.
  • I didn't take them with my first and I haven't taken them this time around mostly because I have barely been able to keep anything down. Now that the morning sickness seems to be subsiding I plan on trying to keep them down.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first pregnancy I was so sick, I didn't manage to keep anything down. While I would recommend taking a vitamin (or course!) my midwife and gp both told me because I was such a healthy eater before (lots of fruit and vege) I shouldn't worry too much about not having enough folic acid.

However I did get really low iron, as do a lot of pregnant women, and did take an iron supplement nearer to the end of my pregnancy.

I honestly think you can get enough nutrients from food - I am sure there is a lot of info online. You end up peeing out extra nutrients anyway, so why not eat super amazing (green smoothies?) AND take an organic/vegan supplement,

• It just seems like common sense that you be taking vitamins to me.
    Andplusalso the term natural.... Yeah I hate it. Natural doesn't necessarily mean healthier. Arsenic is natural for crying out loud.
  • I am not on prenatal vitamins. My body refuses to handle them no matter what I've tried. They caused my morning sickness to become excessively severe so my doctor took me off. I take regular gummy adult vitamins, children's gummy calcium/vitamin D vitamins (my adult gummies lack the calcium), and I drink daily Similac mom meal replacements.

I'd be completely screwed over if I didn't have something to get my nutrients.

I think it's possible in some cases to go natural without, HOWEVER, it'd be an extremely rare case where the woman doesn't have morning sickness and is strictly monitored at all times to be sure, and basically meticulously measured every nutrient in food you take in, including micronutrients. It's just not worth doing, too risky to chance malnutrition for you or the child. I don't think anyone would want to take that gamble.

So please, as someone who cannot take prenatals, take those vitamins :)
  • I cannot stand vitamins, not because I'm against them, they just make me sick, always have. Try taking a food based vitamin like Rainbow Lite Prenatal One. It is technically derived from food sources so you shouldn't have an issue there, and although they ARE kind of a horse pill, it's the only vitamin I've taken that hasn't made me severely nauseous. But you should DEFINITELY take one.