Working Moms
Options

How Did You Decide to Stay or Go?

Sarbs81107Sarbs81107 member
edited March 2015 in Working Moms
Ladies I'm approaching the birth of my second baby this summer and recently I've been having a lot of thoughts about switching up my job.  I've had things pretty great so far (after I got my MBA) but I've been feeling this growing sense of dissatisfaction and I'm curious to hear how others have made the decision to just "tough it out" or "move on to greener pastures".

Here are my current pros and cons:
Pros: 
- Great pay & benefits
- High exposure position
- Love most of my coworkers

Cons:
- Company has been restructuring and employee morale is a downer and I'm increasingly losing faith 
- I travel 30% of the time this presents a challenge for my family (logistically and me being away so much from the kids)
- Unclear career path - because I'm in a different role that is remote-based, I don't have as clear line of sight to how I can continue to progress (which is important to me personally)

Would love to hear your stories and wisdom!

Re: How Did You Decide to Stay or Go?

• Options
    Since you do like your job and the pay/benefits are good, I would sit tight until after LO is born, then re-assess. You may feel differently, or more strongly, about your job during maternity leave which will help you make a decision.

In terms of a career path, have you talked to your boss about it? I'm assuming a company that pays well would likely find that important although I know it's not always the case.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    jd614jd614 member
    I would sit tight until after the baby, take your maternity leave and then reassess. WHenever there is change morale gets hit and people feel uneasy. Its not good to make quick decisions out of fear of the unknown. Let the dust settle.
    As far as your schedule...can you ask to travel a bit less? Also I would sit down with your manager and give an outline of what direction you would like to see your career headed, and see if he/she is on the same page and if thats feasible. Alot of your cons sound like assumptions, so I would try to nail down some concrete answers from your current company before looking to make a change.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both! This is exactly the kind of level-headed advice I needed!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"