December 2014 Moms

How to introduce cereal

my little man seems to need more then just milk. Any suggestions on best cereal and how to introduce it. Bottle with formula or bowl with spoon?

Re: How to introduce cereal

• We started bowl with spoon. Just once a day and we use rice cereal.
  • Talk to your doc first. Cereal is not the first food anymore.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sammie31 said:

my little man seems to need more then just milk. Any suggestions on best cereal and how to introduce it. Bottle with formula or bowl with spoon?

Great question for the pediatrician. Maybe he just wants more milk or you can supplement with formula.

Test
  • I know you aren't suppose to start with food till at least 4 months and most pedi's prefer 6 months.  Please check with your pedi before starting any food. 

Also for cereal treat it like any other food and use a spoon. Do not put in the bottle.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @CandEChicago No it has to be whole cows milk! Duh

No poison allowed.
  • Why not just give them peanuts soaked in whole milk? :)
  • Make it RAW whole cow's milk on peanuts, just to make it dangerous lol ;)

So I'm not a total b*tch, check with your pediatrician first as 99% tell you no food until 4 months or sometimes 6 months.  Then, food is still for learning not sustance.  Organic is better than conventional when it comes to baby food in my opinion, always given with a spoon and never in the bottle.

If your baby is hungry, you may need to nurse longer/more frequently or supplement

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Kmm1023 said:

We started bowl with spoon. Just once a day and we use rice cereal.

Hope you're joking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our pedi told us to start rice cereal last week since he is a big boy and not sleeping through the night

Me: 32  DH: 34

TTC #1 since June 2011, RE December 2012

HSG: tubes clear SA: Perfect AMH: 0.9 in Jan 2013 0.7 in March 2013

Femara June 2013: No repsonse. Serophene July 2013: No repsonse

Follistim August 2013: 12 follicles, 4 mature, IUI, and a BFN. 

April 2014: Lost 30lbs, got my thyroid under control. Started IVF 

May: BFP! EDD 1/6/2015 Heatbeat 167!

Now: Canyon James born 12/30/14 at 6:21pm via emergency c section. 9 lbs 19 1/2 inches

• With my first child, 10 years ago I gave her cereal at 3 months only because that was the recommendation back then. She had no clue what she was doing and it didn't help her sleep, that's for sure! She didn't do that until a year old.

This little fella will start getting bites of food between 5-6 months or when he shows interest. I don't know that I will even bother with cereal this time.
  • Rice cereal had little to no nutrition. Oatmeal is better but I think bananas or squash or carrots are a better first food, but only when the baby is 5.5 to 6 months old. They cannot digest food before that and feeding them solids too early leads to Celiac and other digestion problems! Please please please never put cereal in a bottle.
  • I must be a bad parent, we put cereal into our son's bottle around 4 months.  We only did this a few times a week for a few weeks before moving to cereal with a spoon.  Then we jumped right into baby food since our Pedi said that if our son was interested in food, then it was time to introduce it.

We haven't discussed what we are going to do with DD this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• hmrance5 said:

I'm not sure why it was recommended to give a baby as young as 3 months old cows milk or peanut butter and then the combination other than for a joke. Thankfully, I'm not a first time mother, this is my third child and the older two are 19 and 17 so recommendations are quite a bit different than when I had my girls years ago. But why, even jokingly would anyone recommend that and why does it seem as though the thread took a negative turn and has sarcasm or not so nice comments. This thread is intended for mothers to help other mothers. Check your egos and attitudes to the side and be polite and to the point if you have a response. We sometimes need other mothers to bounce ideas and thoughts off of, don't be nasty or negative or if you must, do it somewhere else, not here. Sad to see frankly...

Glad WK still exist here.

Test
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"