March 2015 Moms

Overwhelmeingly Sad

I just turned 38 weeks! And I cannot seem to rid this overwhelming sadness. I have been crying on and off all day. It is a deep sadness too.

Can this just be hormones? It doesn't make sense to me. I am so excited to meet my little girl what could I be sad about?

Anyone else feel this way?

Re: Overwhelmeingly Sad

• emsillickemsillick member
    edited March 2015
    I feel the same way as you. I would go as far as to say that some days I feel pretty similar to how I did a few years back when I suffered with depression; hopeless, emotional, unmotivated and like I just want to curl up in a dark room and sleep.

And of course it makes no sense because this is the most exciting time in our lives and we have SO much to prepare for and look forward to.

Don't underestimate the power of hormones in pregnancy and what our bodies and minds have had to go through already to adjust to all of these changes.

My mum says this is totally normal at this stage in pregnancy and she's had five children! That said, it is probably worth mentioning to your midwife in case you need any extra support once your baby is born.

Hang in there :)
  • I'm there right next to yall. I've struggled with depression in the past as well.

What helps me is getting out in the sun. Some vitamin D does miracles in boosting my mood. check your local uv index and the lower the uv index the longer you need to be outside with as much skin exposed to absorb natural vitamin d. But mind you, I'm not recommending tanning or anything. No one eat me up about skin cancer please. lol. We need vitamin d.

Also, regulating your diet better. When i eat protein and veggies for breakfast and nothing sugary or carbs I feel SO much better for the rest of the day. No cereals, bagels (oh gosh, YUM!!) ect for breakfast.

And water. More water.

Try those and see if it helps you too! :) good luck !!

Also... You need to keep in mind postpartum depression. You might want to talk to your doctor about how you're emotionally doing right now because it might put you at higher risk for postpartum depression which can be very harmful to you and your baby. So preparing ahead of time is always good!
  • Loading the player...
  • @adelems yes ! I live on the coast, sitting by the beach always helps ! Find a relaxing spot to get sun and fresh air. Also, I always feel better after I make myself go for a little walk :)
  • ju123ju123 member
    I'm totally like that too
    I attribute 80% to lack of sleep and just feeling unwell almost all the time :(
  • @dreyes4 I'm ok :) money is stressful too !!
    It's hard OP, money issues, relationship issues etc feel so amplified right now because our hormones are out of whack, we are tired and not feeling good.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • I went through the exact same thing last week. I felt unmotivated, alone, complete lack of energy or desire to do anything or see anyone, and crying all the time. I blamed my situation and impatience, but hormones do play a huge role. When I was on Lupron shots (hormones that basically put you through artificial menopause) I had to go on an antidepressant for it. This felt the same. But I did end up feeling better after a few days. It is something to bring up to your OB, just so they're aware, but it would not surprise me if it subsides and returns regularly until (and even after) delivery. Hoping you get through the next few weeks feeling better!
  • I agree that Vitamin D is really important. Also if you can try and take a high quality fish oil, it can help support a healthy mood. Calcium and magnesium deficiency can really make you feel crappy too -- have you been getting leg cramps at night? If so you are likely pretty deficient, so try and get a supplement of these. The reason fish oil is so important is it's high in DHA, the fat our brains are mostly made of. Your baby is sucking you dry of fat! :) Plus most pregnant women avoid fish, so the fetus tends to deplete the mom of her own supply. This has been linked to depression, particularly in the postpartum period. Make sure you are getting adequate nutrition, and adequate sleep. Good for you posting here, because a lot of the hormonal swings and things like that are totally normal - just make sure you keep talking about it. Best to you!
  • I am right there with you all. Crying all day and not able to get motivated to much of anything. Feeling crappy and like this wait is lasting forever, so a little bit of hopelessness in there too. Hoping to find something to distract soon! Good luck and we will all make it through!
  • AjaH4AjaH4 member
    And yep- I've got it happening to me also. My moods are always very stable, but the last few days I feel like I've been stricken by fear and panic and cry non stop. This is the first pregnancy that I've ever felt like this. I totally forgot about the Fish Oil- but I'm gonna go get some tonight. It does do wonders. Were almost there!!!!!!!
  • I completely understand how you feel. I was in a really dark place for at least 6 months of my pregnancy. My pregnancy was unplanned and I completely blamed myself for it. I even looked into adoption which made me even more sad and depressed because it's not deep down what I wanted. Thankfully, with some help I am now excited for my baby and cry happy tears anytime I think about the first time I'll see his little face. Pregnancy is definitely not easy.
  • I know how you feel @lauradanielle. My pregnancy was unplanned too. We didn't consider other options but it was a hard thing to adjust to.

I feel like if I had been planning this, I would have known what to expect and welcomed the many changes to my body. It has been tough and confusing for the most part but I know it will all fade into the background when I meet my little surprise bundle :)

Hope you feel better xxx
  • I've spent the past hour crying for no reason, at least that I'm aware of...my hubby thinks I have the baby blues, something we learned about in prenatal class. He thinks I've been a bit nutty the whole pregnancy, but I haven't been sad so to speak. Today is the first time I feel down and sad.
  • After a full day of contractions yesterday, everything stopped once I fell asleep last night.. And this morning I woke up so down and just plain sad. I know this is more anxiety about the wait than anything else, but I'm having a difficult time pulling myself out of it! So sick of getting the status update texts and then the follow up "just relax, it'll happen when it happens.." I just feel over it all and want to go on vacation and sit on a beach somewhere. Haha
  • I appreciate everyone's responses. It helps to feel I am not alone. I will most definitely ask my OB about fish oil as well as alert her of my sadness. Today was not nearly as bad as yesterday but it is still there.

I've had no desire to nest at all and forced myself to spend time organizing and washing baby clothes and blankets today. It seems to have helped but took every bit of energy I had.

Keeping busy may be key and tomorrow is suppose to be a beautiful day so I will definitely get some sun on my face and spend time outside.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"